Imma crowdsourcing wedding ideas!

Delightful

Heyo,

So quick intro for those who don't frequent General Discussion, @Pinnacle-Ferring and I met on the site and are now engaged (Huzzah!). We're looking for Sanderson/general nerdy ideas/themes to incorporate into the wedding. More on the elegant, quieter side than I AM NERD HEAR ME ROAR because many guests will understand only part or none of the references, but some overt nerdiness might be cool to.  So I turn to you all for inspiration. 

You're also welcome to go wild with silliness.  Decorations, shtick, bridesmaid dresses, what can we do to make a great geek wedding?

Please and thank you :D 

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

I feel like ash falling is not really suitable for an event where everyone is in pretty clothes, right...?

LOL

I'm thinking of table centrepieces of like cardboard prop things of Vin and Elend dancing in HoA since its one of my favourite scenes. And we might be going with a purple/grey theme so we could do something subtle for ash.....petals artfully strewn across the tables or something.......[if that sounds stupid, its midnight and I haven't had much sleep this week].

1 hour ago, Delightfully Smoak said:

So quick intro for those who don't frequent General Discussion, @Pinnacle-Ferring and I met on the site and are now engaged (Huzzah!).

Congrats! You could cut the tablecloth edges to look like the mistborn cloak trims. If you're going for Mistborn themed, then you could set piles of books in some spots with titles like, I don't know, Trials of Monument. But if it's Sanderson-themed in general, you could have the bridemaid dresses be in the Vorin fashion, or have Stormlit spheres everywhere.

On 6 June 2017 at 0:33 AM, ryshadium90 said:

Congrats! You could cut the tablecloth edges to look like the mistborn cloak trims. If you're going for Mistborn themed, then you could set piles of books in some spots with titles like, I don't know, Trials of Monument. But if it's Sanderson-themed in general, you could have the bridemaid dresses be in the Vorin fashion, or have Stormlit spheres everywhere.

I'm a little worried the tablecloth thing will just look like its damaged? Love the book idea, though it might be Sanderson books. Spheres in glass jars maybe, next to a pile of books a la Shallan in the Palaneum would be wonderful. 

22 hours ago, Captains Domon said:

@Delightfully Smoak Congratulations from the Captains. It's pretty cool.

As suggestions go, I would probably go for a Hallendren look from Warbreaker.

Also, have the priest recite the marriage oration from The Princess Bride. :lol:

What do you mean by the Hallandren look?

Congrats! For mistborn, you might be able to do something with the metals, I don't know, have different vials on the tables. Sanderson also has some wonderful quotes, and I think I remember seeing one of the quotes from a picture taken from another wedding. I'm sure there s at least one for the occasion. You might also be able to do something with the glass spheres from shadesmar, or even spheres themselves. They could probably make cool decorations. Sand could also be a subtle reference.

Also a Stick. You need a stick.

Any way to incorporate a safe hand into the wedding dress? Depending on the design, it could come across as looking very stylish, while anyone who "gets" the reference will elbow and snicker and explain it to everyone else. 

3 hours ago, Quiver said:

Any way to incorporate a safe hand into the wedding dress? Depending on the design, it could come across as looking very stylish, while anyone who "gets" the reference will elbow and snicker and explain it to everyone else. 

I do love floofy sleeves......

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Delightful said:

Can anyone think of romantic Sanderson quotes that can go on an invitation? 

"You're like a potato in a minefield", perfect and hilarious as  it is, unfortunately doesn't count. :P 

Why can't you be a cake?!

Once I was only confident in my immaturity, now...I'm confident in...us...that sounds really bad

Our belief is often strongest when it should be weakest. That is the nature of hope, and with these words we cordially invite you to our wedding, a union that we believe in and gives us hope...(no, no,no)

The right belief is like a good cloak, if it fits you well it keeps you nice and warm. (I do not know where I am goiiiing)

Onwards then! to glory and some such nonsense (these aren't very romantic aren't they..)

This world, it is a tempest sometimes. But remember, the sun always rises again (Like a radioactive manatee)

This union is so storming pure its practically belching rainbows (huh could work for a LGBTQ+ union lol)

Words are where most change begins, and with these words we cordially invite you to witness the greatest change in our lives.

Edited by Darkness Ascendant
I'm sorry....

On 6/17/2017 at 1:36 AM, Darkness Ascendant said:

Words are where most change begins, and with these words we cordially invite you to witness the greatest change in our lives.

Really like this one. It's fancy, and the reference is subtle enough that the people who don't get it wouldn't feel confused.

On 16/6/2017 at 11:03 AM, Delightful said:

Can anyone think of romantic Sanderson quotes that can go on an invitation? 

"You're like a potato in a minefield", perfect and hilarious as  it is, unfortunately doesn't count. :P 

there are two things that people get worse at with experience: marrying and staying alive. Now I just need a proper way to finish that