Unmaking the Canon - a resource for theorists

Extesian

23 minutes ago, FiveLate said:

I know I read a WOB that said the 99 desolations is not a literal number....but  either I can't find it again, or I hallucinated reading it... 

Help please.

Here you go

SHAWN M. HALVERSON (HTTPS://WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/GROUPS/270545169744383/PERMALINK/731811053617790/)

So I just got back from the book signing Brandon held today, I asked him about the time between each of the original 99 desolations.

BRANDON SANDERSON

It turns out that the number 99 in the stories was made up, and that there were much fewer of them. He also then stated that the cosmere runs along a 10,000 year gap and that Roshar falls right into the middle of the timeline. He ended with "That should give you a perspective of the timeline and events of the desolations". I figured that if anyone wanted to know a bit more of Roshar's history they might find this interesting

5 minutes ago, FiveLate said:

Thank you...what key words did you use? Because clicking on the link to get to the heartland source gives me a 404 error.

Oh that's odd. All i searched for was 'desolations', it's the bottom one :)

It looks like the FAQ Friday answered the automatic splintering question. A vessel can voluntarily give up a Shard and then it can automatically splinter. I see no reason that shouldn't also apply but if people have ideas why that shouldn't be the same. Otherwise i will update the OP :)

FB_IMG_1497138552242.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

@Extesian, there was a question about Hemalurgy and Breath in the Ad Astra signing line. Note that I did the transcription on this and the exact wording is probably important. So feel free to check me. The question is around 44:25 in the signing line file posted by TheHunter to Soundcloud in the Ad Astra thread.

Questioner

Do priests use-- to extract the Divine Breath and hoard-- *interruption* Do they use a sharp object to get the Divine Breath and hoard from the God King?

Brandon Sanderson

The Divine Breath what?

Questioner

Divine Breath and hoard. Can you get it away from him by using a sharp pointy object?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, the-- like you're asking like--

Questioner

Hemalurgy as an option.

Brandon Sanderson

It is not, but that's a good question. That is a really good question. I'm surprised no one's asked me that before.

I think this could be interpreted either way... Hemalurgy is not an option, period? Or Hemalurgy is not an option for the priests?

The fact that he gives a blanket answer (he doesn't distinguish between the Divine Breath and the normal Breaths), pushes me towards the former. Sounds to me like he's saying here that Hemalurgy is not an means by which Breath can be transferred.But you can take it how you will. :)

Thanks @jofwu, good catch. I'll update the OP. I don't think it's categorical enough either, out could definitely just mean it wasn't an option for the priests. not just that but it's unclear whether he's talking about normal breath, divine or both. But the most recent ones, including that, make it increasingly likely that normal breath definitely can't be spiked out. Divine Breath is more likely. 

9 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Mistpoint, and... gah i just saw it like 10 minutes ago. I'll edit in the other one in a moment.

"Shardpools" was a fan-invented term as well, though one that Brandon has taken to using. The all-encompassing term is actually "Perpendicularities" though they come in more forms than Shardpools.

EDIT: Also, "Shardholders" as a name for someone who holds a Shard of Adonalsium is another one that fans made up, that Brandon started using. It was often confused with Shardbearers, so Brandon changed the name to Vessels in Secret History. We should be using that term now instead of the old one.

Edited by Khyrindor

Just now, Khyrindor said:

"Shardpools" was a fan-invented term as well, though one that Brandon has taken to using. The all-encompassing term is actually "Perpendicularities" though they come in more forms than Shardpools.

I fully agree. What little we know about Honor's perpendicularity implies it's not a pool at all. 

I think with time as we see more, this term will be forced to die, or only be used circumstancially

• 3 weeks later...
On 5.06.2017 at 6:57 AM, Extesian said:

Does a Shard automatically splinter when its Vessel dies

Actually we knew it back then even before that FAQFriday.

Somebody linked in it other thread: http://faq.brandonsanderson.com/node/468

It makes sense I was sure I've seen it but haven't been able to find it in any of our WoB sources.

• Chaos locked this topic