The New Guy

Heya guys,

I just joined the forum, but have been reading some of the posts here. As far as the books go I've read the Stormlight Archive and Mistborn series (the orignal + the first 2 novelles). At the moment I'm actually working on a Kaladin cosplay (not finished by far, but made a start). Needless to say, I'm a big Stormlight Archive fan.

Welcome to the Shard!

I'm also a big fan of Stormlight as well, though I'll admit that I started that series after all the other Cosmere books, because I was afraid of how big the books were, and I was still in school at the time (of course, I ended up reading them over a couple weekends near the very end, whoops). When you say 2 novellas, do you mean The Eleventh Metal and Allomancer Jak?

Do you know what the Cosmere is? Either way, I recommend that you read Warbreaker, which you can find here on Brandon's website at the bottom of the page. Warbreaker is a really good book, plus it has some things in it that will make certain events and/or characters in the Stormlight Archive make more sense. 

After that, I'd recommend either reading Elantris, a standalone novel, or The Alloy of Law, which is the first book in the Wax and Wayne series, which is set 300 years after The Hero of Ages in an early industrial version of Scadrial.

Thanks, I have read the Alloy of Law and Shadows of Self, which I thought were amazing. So many small hints (like the city names) to the original series. 

I have read a little bit about the Cosmere in some of the posts. I know about the 16 shards, but I will definitely add those to my wish list.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, @BetaRayBilly! First things first, I appreciate your username. Fist bump for obscure Marvel characters!

I think you'll find that a LOT of people here on the Shard are also highly enthusiastic about Stormlight and Mistborn. They're two of my favorites, in any case. As Striker mentioned, Warbreaker is a good next thing to read to learn more about the Cosmere. I'm looking forward to seeing you around the fandom! :)

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, BetaRayBilly said:

@Sunbird Yes, I am a big Marvel fan haha. Warbreaker is high on the list of books I'm going to buy soon. And thank you for the warm welcome!

Buying it is encouraged, because we'll, supporting Brandon... 

The link that @StrikerEZ shared is to a free copy available for download through Brandon's website. So by all means but it if you want, I sure did, but you can read it now for free. 

On 13-7-2017 at 6:05 PM, Calderis said:

Buying it is encouraged, because we'll, supporting Brandon... 

The link that @StrikerEZ shared is to a free copy available for download through Brandon's website. So by all means but it if you want, I sure did, but you can read it now for free. 

I tried reading Warbreaker on the site, but I prefer having a physical book in my hands over my pc/phone/whatever. I'm gonna wait a while so I can buy a ton of new books haha

Welcome to the shard! Stay away from cookies, they are hazardous to your health! Have an upvote!

From your description, you will probably jump right to the theorizing, in which case I recommend you to The Knights Theoretic, and the Cosmere Theories.

You are a obviously a sanderfan, in which case I recommend you to The Knights Awkward and You Know You're a Sanderfan When... (Which is really fun.)

If you like intrigue, and think you can fool me, you should really play Sanderson Elimination, which is our version of Werewolf or Mafia.

Have fun! ;)

Welcome to the Shard! Don't accept any food offered to you, especially cookies, or anything by the Dark Alley. But anything from someone with 'Surgefinder' or 'Knight of the Cosmere' should be OK. That being said, have a slice of Chouta! Also, if you are wondering what the Surgefinders are, they are a group of people, or, well, here's a link to the Surgefinder's official fourm if you want to know about it. And we are desperately needing members! As for the Knights of the Cosmere, that is something I can't say anything about. So, welcome to world of bookworms!