offspring of hemalurgy

PewterAGoldF

Do we know how the Koloss blooded were created?
Was it something of Harmony or is it the Spawn of a Koloss?
I heard somewhere that if an Inquisitor were to procreate they might pass on some extra spiritual DNA.
I ask because it would be interesting to try a few things based on this.
-Surely a koloss blooded would provide a stronger potency spike, could you compund this effect through generations of repeating the process
-if you get two people and give them hemalurgy for mental strength and then make them reproduce would they produce a super smart baby, and would it have the drawbacks that usually come with grafting someone elses mind onto yours?
-Suposedly doing the same for emotional strength or powerful senses, also, I heard that an electrum spike is what gives Inquisitors their multiple atium shadows so imagine breeding this into a bloodline.
-Make children with more than one alomantic or feruchemical ability through this method??

3 minutes ago, PewterAGoldF said:

Do we know how the Koloss blooded were created?
Was it something of Harmony or is it the Spawn of a Koloss?

After Harmony ascended, he took pity on them and made them a true-breeding race.

Brandon Sanderson (Paraphrased)

Well, Sazed changed how the koloss reproduced, so now they reproduce naturally, and when the kids come to a coming-of-age, they decide if they’re going to accept the spikes and become a koloss, or if they’re going to stay normal.

8 minutes ago, PewterAGoldF said:

I heard somewhere that if an Inquisitor were to procreate they might pass on some extra spiritual DNA.

That's not exactly what he's said, but..

Brandon Sanderson

Would the Hemalurgy influence the sDNA of the children? Is that what you are asking? That is a hypothesis that has merit in the way the magic system works (grin). It is not a supposition to be discarded out of hand.

or this

You've said that Inquisitors could have children. Would those children have a better chance at being Allomancers compared to if they had the kids before they were Inquisitors?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but there also could be...complications.

12 minutes ago, PewterAGoldF said:

I heard that an Electrum spike is what gives Inquisitors their multiple Atium shadows

This is just incorrect. Multiple shadows has to do with both parties having some manner of precognition. This can be accomplished with Atium or Electrum. Electrum isn't as good at it, so it will only cause your own Atium shadow to split if the other party has Atium, rather than the flurry of shadows caused by both parties using Atium.

The One who connects already answered.

But remember Hemalurgy's inherit is really really more difficoult and rare than the standard One...and there would be complications.

I think this alone prevent the boost of a lineage with Hemalurgy over the generations.

Koloss Blood are for example not inherit stronger than a average Human and they are for definition the offspring of someone with 4 Spikes. They inherit some trait (and remember an Hemalurgy construct recive a really strong change) but they are mainly weird Humans.

An Inquisitor child probably Will have a slighty Better chance to be an Allomancer (or a Feruchemist) but if he inherit S-Dna from the Spikes, probably He would inherit too a degree of problems they carry. (Likely to have mental issues, or something like that)

7 minutes ago, Yata said:

Koloss Blood are for example not inherit stronger than a average Human and they are for definition the offspring of someone with 4 Spikes.

I thought in AoL they specifically mentioned Koloss blooded as being stronger and tougher, and that was why the Koloss Blooded pewter arm was scary. It was boosting his already higher than normal traits. 

Edited by Calderis

3 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I thought in AoL they specifically mentioned Koloss blooded ad being stronger and tougher, and that was why the Koloss Blooded pewter arm was scary. It was boosting his already higher than normal traits. 

The fact is we don't know if that is based on genetic (usual or magical) or envirorment. Live in a Koloss's society isn't Easy. You will probably have to be in good shape to avoid issues.

But you could be right. I remember a Koloss Blood Who could pass for a pure Human without too trouble, so I assume the physical difference could be under a certain degree.

Edit: I forgot to mention, but I Talk of the Allomancer Jack's story

Edited by Yata

2 minutes ago, Yata said:

But you could be right. I remember a Koloss Blood Who could pass for a pure Human without too trouble, so I assume the physical difference could be under a certain degree.

Edit: I forgot to mention, but I Talk of the Allomancer Jack's story

I suppose there could actually be something to it, but I find it difficult to take anything from Jak Seriously. 

@Yata

Koloss blooded also grow throughout their lifetime unlike normal humans, which is why when Wax notes that the koloss-blooded pewter arm in AoL is short and stocky, he guesses he must be relatively young.

It's also noted in universe that they heal faster than normal humans.  Since Koloss blooded are human, at least in the sense that they can interbreed with humans, I think it's a fair assumption for the time being that the differences are magical in nature, and relating to their inherited sDNA rather than physiological, and relating to their inherited DNA.  Somewhat speculative, but wanted to throw it out there.

@PewterAGoldF A huge problem with inquisitors is that their spirit webs are so tattered that they can't live without the linchpin spike in their spine.  I would think that any children they had would be much more likely to be born allomancers, but also much more likely to be stillborn or possess the debilitating disorders associated with extremely damaged sDNA.  Hemalurgy could probably be used to, on average, breed more intelligent or physically capable humans.  However, this process would likely be bounded by the fact that the parents of each generation could only have so many spikes and still be able to have a decent chance of producing viable offspring.  Meaning, depending on how powerful you wanted your final super-humans to be and how many you wanted to produce, you would need a rapidly increasing number of successive parent generations of wildly increasing size.

So yeah, with enough time and spikes you could probably breed a Master Chief or Gerrard Capashen type of superhero...but you'd have to do something with their many psychotic brothers, sisters, aunts, and uncles...

Yeah exactly, that was basically my idea, not so much breeding from inquisitors, just giving someone the maximum spikes while still being able to live long enough to bring a baby to term, and have the baby live. You could probably give the male much more spikes since his part in the process is shorter.
And I was presuming that the offspring would have less negative effects than the spiked person. Would they have tears in their spirit webs? Would the offspring of someone who recieved copper hemalurgy have to deal with mental conflicts?
Presuming this then with each generation you could get more of a trait from a single spike and thus reach higher levels of power with less spikes and thus less spirit web damage.

As with what to do with psychotic brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles... hemalurgy.

Of course if it really was as straight forward as this then there would have been no real need for Harmony to intervene with the Koloss...

• Chaos locked this topic