Shadesmar, spren, and bonds

Djarskublar

With some of the discussion that occurred in these two threads:

I have made some connections with what may be going on with Roshar's cognitive realm. Shout out to @The Flash for sparking the connections with his comment about the Highstorm potentially weakening the border between the physical and cognitive realm.

Given the knowledge that spren are attracted to their physical embodiment, and assuming the Storm does weaken the border between realms, I think it is fairly safe to extrapolate a few things. As with many things that cause wear, I doubt the weakening of the border would be uniform, so that leaves room for Shinovar to not be close enough to the CR for spren to manifest there because the Storm isn't powerful enough there. This also makes more likely my idea that the junctions mentioned in the unreleased Jasnah chapter aren't standard perpendicularities that correspond 1:1 with a shard. They are just spots where the realms are particularly close together.

Based on this, I also think that the way the Nahel bond works is that the spren finds someone who is consistently presenting an attraction to the physical realm, and decides to make the attraction more permanent. The bond changes their natural state to be closer to the physical realm, which allows them to manifest in it as a Blade when they have gotten close enough to the physical through the bond. This should also remove the 'no spren in Shinovar' restriction because they are attached to a person and closer to the physical regardless. If the Radiant breaks their Oaths, the spren is stuck too close to the physical realm, and damages them in a way that makes them similar to the Hoed. The bond is still there, just not intact. This is what keeps the spren trapped. If the Radiant dies, the bond is not broken, but rather dissipated. The spren is still too close to the physical and experiences trauma as they grieve and are forced back to the CR.

Admittedly, the portion of that speculating on broken Oaths and death are not well supported, but they make sense as a tangent to the rest. I could easily accept alternate explanations.

With Lift being moved closer to the CR by the Nightwatcher, she is on a more similar level to Wyndle, and can physically interact with him. The two of them are partway to the other's realm, and are approximately meeting.

I think that covers everything I wanted to cover. If I think of anything else I'll edit it in later.

30 minutes ago, Djarskublar said:

If the Radiant breaks their Oaths, the spren is stuck too close to the physical realm, and damages them in a way that makes them similar to the Hoed. The bond is still there, just not intact. This is what keeps the spren trapped. If the Radiant dies, the bond is not broken, but rather dissipated. The spren is still too close to the physical and experiences trauma as they grieve and are forced back to the CR.

I think this sums it up pretty nicely. If the Oaths are broken the bond snaps back and traps the Spren in the physical. 

If the radiant dies, the bond is severed, but without the backlash caused by betrayal, allowing the Spren to revert to it's natural state. 

Edited by Calderis

54 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I think this sums it up pretty nicely. If the Oaths are broken the bond snaps back and traps the Spren in the physical. 

If the radiant dies, the bond is severed, but without the backlash caused by betrayal, allowing the Spren to revert to it's natural state. 

Well, you said it better than I did. I'm glad the portion of my post I felt the least confident about received some support. I still feel like there was something else I wanted to say in the OP, but I can't remember what. :(

11 hours ago, Djarskublar said:

Well, you said it better than I did. I'm glad the portion of my post I felt the least confident about received some support. I still feel like there was something else I wanted to say in the OP, but I can't remember what. :(

Well thought out. This totally makes sense. And it might be because of belief that prevents the highstorms from really advancing over the mountains. Or not. For now, it doesn't matter. 

On 5/25/2017 at 7:17 PM, Djarskublar said:

Shout out to @The Flash for sparking the connections with his comment about the Highstorm potentially weakening the border between the physical and cognitive realm.

I find it funny that I suggested... not the same, but a similar thing about 3 years ago, but since both of you are so new and wet behind the ears, you probably haven't even seen it. This fandom is going to be a really fun place a couple of decades from now... :)

@Argent Hey! I'm not new, and I'm only wet behind the ears because I just took a shower! I started lurking around the time WoK came out. A year later at most. The theories about where Blades came from are hilarious in retrospect.

But yes, in 10-20 years it will be really funny looking back at all our crazy thoughts. We will still probably get new people regularly that think Hoid is trying to put Adonalsium back together... *sigh*

1 hour ago, Djarskublar said:

I started lurking around the time WoK came out. A year later at most.

It's quite hilarious thinking about who is "new" nowadays, since I joined a month after WoR, was only interested in the Alethi translation thread, and then kinda disappeared for 2 whole years. I essentially joined in 2016, but since I read the entire Cosmere theories section when I came back, I caught back up fast. And I'm not considered new anymore.

Edited by The One Who Connects

Ha! I consider all three of you to be Ancients (and Argent The Most Ancient). Yesterday was my 6 month anniversary :P And yep every now and then I search for evidence for something, it links back to a theory from years ago and I realize just how much genius went into the knowledge we have nowadays. All the way back to the musings of the incorruptible Ookla.

If the Cosmere was Judaism, the books would be my Torah, WoBs my Tanakh and the 17th Shard my Talmud. (Is that cultural misappropriation? I don't know any more :))

Just now, Extesian said:

Ha! I consider all three of you to be Ancients (and Argent The Most Ancient). Yesterday was my 6 month anniversary :P And yep every now and then I search for evidence for something, it links back to a theory from years ago and I realize just how much genius went into the knowledge we have nowadays. All the way back to the musings of the incorruptible Ookla.

If the Cosmere was Judaism, the books would be my Torah, WoBs my Tanakh and the 17th Shard my Talmud. (Is that cultural misappropriation? I don't know any more :))

I proselyte sandersonism. 

57 minutes ago, Extesian said:

You could make a religion out of that.

did anyone get the joke?

• Chaos locked this topic