Featured Forum Members 2

Silverblade5

2 minutes ago, Extesian said:

I ninja'd you again! I suppose I should be embarrassed. But mainly I know this isn't really Spool's sort of thing (Though I shouldn't speak for him) and I do want this thread to keep moving :)

Don't be embarrassed. It's the internet. You're supposed to be shameless and narcissistic here, right? 

Edit: and seriously. The whole reason I pinged Silverblade5 yesterday is because I didn't want to be rude and nominate you if Spool was going to do this. 

Way to ninja me. Get out of my head. 

Edited by Calderis

After nominating myself I'd better do this :ph34r:

1. Provide a picture (if you are comfortable with that). 

FB_IMG_1500779217414.thumb.jpg.962019ed48ef5966e82a4a2b6d4f8082.jpg

Sorry that's ridiculous :) Here's one with my lady

FB_IMG_1500779607088.thumb.jpg.faad13bf4be957a8a64d4177e2b33b00.jpg

2. Provide your real name (if you are comfortable with that).

David! Dave usually. 

3. Which book is your favorite and why?

For most of my adult life it was The Silmarillion. Such glory, tragedy, history, subtlety of language and epic scale for something so short. And the most beautiful creation myth I've ever read. 

That was until The Name of the Wind. For me, it is perfection. The most compelling fictional character I've read. Beauty of prose that captures my emotions the way Kvothe describes music as doing (not as perfect prose as Book of the New Sun, but BEAUTIFUL). A story where my heart breaks, in a way no Red Wedding could make it do, over (Name of the Wind spoilers)

Spoiler

a boy losing his shirt, his library card, his musical instrument. 

Brandon is my favorite author because of the world he's created, his characters and his narrative structure. But nothing can touch Rothfuss for me for a single story.

Favorite Brandon? Stormlight, no contest. I love Warbreaker, and Mistborn has an extraordinary story. But Stormlight is utterly glorious. 

4. What have been your main contributions to the community? What are you known for?

Probably known for nominating myself for this thread now...

No I think my main contribution has been WoB-hunting. With the absence of some very obscure old sources, or certain WoBs that are only posted on this forum and can't be searched, I can find most of them quickly. 

I probably used to be known as the most prolific daily contributor until Calderis accelerated his efforts. Now that I post less I'm probably most known for banter with Calderis :P Or just my rep:post ratio as someone who's been on here only 7 months. 

But if I can be known as a good resource for others, and maybe one day a decent theorist, that will be all I want :)

5. What made you join the forum?

I started reading Brandon two years ago, found this site pretty quickly but, once I realized what it was, avoided it diligently until I'd read every Brandon book for spoiler reasons. That took about 6 months, then I started lurking, learning everything I could. I started an account 7 months ago to be able to respond to interesting threads but then everything changed. By posting it made me research. I'm an evidence - based person. I have to see a textual reference or WoB before I'll accept an idea as established. That meant researching before I posted. And very quickly getting far more detailed understanding of the Cosmere through that process. Then I read all the books again, and now my knowledge is pretty good (but still nothing on many of the long - time Sharders).

6. How many hours do you spend on the shard on a given day?

Wow. Less than I did 3 months ago. I still read almost every Cosmere thread, though the last few weeks I've dropped off. But yeah the window is always open (I only use my mobile) and it's the first and last thing I check on my phone each day. So addiction level, but not yet problematic. Perhaps.....

7. Describe your fondest Forum experience.

As an ongoing thing, the interplay between me, @Calderis and @The One Who Connects, as we're the three most prolific Cosmere posters (Connects a fair bit less but he's a WoB master). Particular post, I guess the one on the mechanics of Elantris with the AonDor, which may not be right but was the best and most supported one I've done. 

But I love this place generally. The welcoming culture, the diversity of people with one common niche love linking them. The level of academic rigor and scientific method applied to theories. The incredible job the admins and mods have done, and keep doing, to make this site so enjoyable and actually truly meaningful to a lot of people. I love it :)

8. What is one thing that Brandon does really well?

Reversals of standard narrative, perfectly foreshadowed shocks, perfect pacing of character development. Basically, the things that make the Brandon Avalanche successful. 

And characters. His characters are so varied, compelling and relatable for a genre that is often plot-driven.

9. What is one thing that he could work on?

Prose. I'm not saying he should, he knows his strengths and plays to them, and his writing pace would suffer if he tried to be Rothfuss. But he has some outstanding lines and passages of intense beauty, and if he could be like that consistently he would be unrivalled.

I hope he never tries to. 

10. Which fictional character is the best representation of yourself?

I've answered this elsewhere but there are facets to this. My id wants me to be Kelsier. My ego wants me to be Kaladin. My superego wants me to be Hoid. My friends would think I'm Lightsong. My colleagues would think I'm Sazed. My family would think I'm Khriss. My girlfriend would think I'm Adolin.

I think I'm most like Lightsong, if Lightsong didn't have everything he wanted at his fingertips :)

11. Any additional comments, whether it be about your life outside of the forum, favorite food, your website, or...anything!

I'm a traveler (35 countries or so) and I lived in Prague 2015-2016. I'm Australian and live in Canberra. My partner is Czech. I have a big black fluffy cat named Toast (he thinks his name is Kitty). 

And I'm a Sanderholic.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's mine!

Spoiler

sZ2S08W_.thumb.jpg.bbd7ca3624f6c0d5d7a70d9ee353db3a.jpg

2. My real name is Cam, short for Campbell

3. My favorite book... hm. Currently, I'd have to say everyone's a aliebn when ur a aliebn too by jonny sun. It's odd, and niche, but I love it. 

4. I'm often known for being a part of the community in General Discussion, and for some out-there book theories. 

5. I originally joined when I first read The Alloy of Law and wanted to see the names for all the Twinborn combinations. Then I was taken in and accepted here as a member of the community.

6. Currently I spend one to two, sometimes two to three hours on here per day.

7. My fondest memory of an experience on this forum would have to be around mid-October last year, when I went to Florida on a vacation. We had stayed in a (pretty bad) little hotel in northern Georgia, and I had stayed up a lot of the night on the Shard using the barely-free Wi-Fi until I fell asleep, just talking to my friends.

8. Brandon excels at crafting sprawling, intricate worlds for his stories, while still being able to focus well on his characters and story and not just giving up the book to exposition. He also represents minorities and the struggle of minorities well.

9. While he has mostly mastered his craft, Brandon could improve his works by expanding on certain ideas and characters (such as ChayShan and other Selish magic systems, the physiology of kandra, et cetera)

10. I would say that Elend is the best representation of myself (followed closely by Renarin). 

11. The Shard is a really great community and I'm glad to be part of it. In addition, I use Twitter a fair bit, I play eight instruments, and I'm openly bisexual. I'm also quite tall and considerably skinny. 

Here I come.

Yata

1. It's a bit older but I don't have too recent photo

18156557_10211681377782352_4320995936595027361_o.thumb.jpg.fe5fc5dbc6d012dbd875b1db62782527.jpg

2. mmm probably you will call me Francis...It's the international traslation of my name.

3. Earthsea, it's weird but it's a book that make me think...I like to see the Fantasy before everyone started to copy Tolkien.

4. My good memory for WoB and Realmatic Understanding are my contribution to the comunity (I have also a project to help the Italian Comunity but I have not enough time), I am also knowed for my bad English (or for the more polite of you "my weird choose of words"

5. I found a reference to a great AMA on Coppermind and I arrived here, then I made it my home (also if I spend little time out of the Cosmere Section).

6. In the last months my time on the Shard dropped to a single hour at day. Before I spent at least 4-5 hours at day here.

7. For the timezone, I live mostly when the main part of the Shard is sleeping. This made me appear in almost every posts because at the morning I read all the topics/replies you made while I am sleeping and mostly put some of mine in many of them.

8. Brandon is an amazing worldbuilder (I am an amateur in that art) and his storyline are really solid. I am a guy who extrapolate a lot from the text, so Brandon's style is perfect for me. Often other writers write with a superb "form" (I am unsure of the English word) but the book's content itself is really poor.

9. I don't know, maybe he would try to reduce the good endings in his books. I understand that he wrote about what he likes. But sometimes he is too optimistic in his ending (but if the things will go as I think, Stormlight could be the exception to this).

10. Probably a mix of Jasnah and Kaladin. Mainly Jasnah with Kaladin's bad habits

11. My favorite food is pizza and I own a Youtube channel but it isn't in English so nobody here would understand a word

13. You want to know where the 12. is ? well... There is always another Secret