Finding a WONDERFUL surprise

So, last night I was trying to find a book to read, so I pulled The Rithmatist out of my pile of Sanderson books. I had bought it a month previously, but hadn't read it yet. I opened the front page, got happy and excited over the cool map (I live on the island of Cascadia!), then turned to the title page, and freaked out. 

Apparently my local bookstore bought a signed hardcover copy that just happened to fall into my eager hands. *cue fangirl jumping up and down, flapping arms, and mild screeching*

Does anybody have any fun stories/surprises, like running into Brandon at the grocery story, or winning a free Sanderson book, or something like that? 

Nice surprise indeed and congrats on that! And you've reminded me that I still need to read Rithmatist so I tip my lucky hat in your direction. :D

I have one story, with the pocket companion to Stormlight Archive that Brandon released for Independent Bookstore Day last year. I just happened to go to a participating store on the day (not knowing about the day or the book) and heard an announcement over the store's loudspeaker that any Brandon Sanderson fans should inquire at the counter. Got myself a copy that way.

I have one!

Last time I flew from the Salt Lake City airport, I stopped in at Simply Books, a bookstore that Brandon frequently visits to sign their books when he flies (and then he announces it on Twitter/Facebook). I asked the bookseller if any authors had been in recently, and he responded, "You mean like Brandon Sanderson? He was in here a few minutes ago." And I was like, Wait, are you serious?

Turns out I'd barely missed Brandon, but I bought a signed paperback of Bands of Mourning. :D

He told me "nice shirt" upon seeing my Cosmere symbol T-shirt. The next day he recognized me by it in the crowd before the Q&A and waved to me. I waved back and everyone near me looked at me and was like "oooh!".

Edited by Oversleep

11 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

He told me "nice shirt" upon seeing my Cosmere symbol T-shirt. The next day he recognized me by it in the crowd before the Q&A and waved to me. I waved back and everyone near me looked at me and was like "oooh!".

I got a fistbump for a similar situation. My girlfriend made me a bondsmith shirt featuring their oaths and symbol. And he gave me a fistbump! Best day ever

I went with my dad to buy Calamity from a nearby bookstore right after it came out (we were both reading The Reckoners at the time), and as we were getting it and a few other books, the cashier lady asked us if we were willing to pay a bit extra (I think) to get a signed copy instead. My dad and I looked at each other for a moment, then said yes. So now I have the 465th copy of the book Brandon signed (he wrote the number and everything).

Unfortunately, I can't say I've met Brandon in person, which is funny, considering I live in somewhat close proximity to where he lives. Oh, well. One day...

1 hour ago, Firerust said:

Unfortunately, I can't say I've met Brandon in person, which is funny, considering I live in somewhat close proximity to where he lives. Oh, well. One day...

You too, eh? :P Though I have met him at signings.

And met people who are like, "oh yeah, he's in my neighborhood/ward/etc." and leave me just like :mellow: 

@Slowswift The featured author was Eric James Stone. Brandon wasn't the only author in attendance, not by a long shot. Julie Frost was there (although I didn't know her then), as were several others that I recognized by sight, if not by name, from SLCC or LTUE.

Just now, Sunbird said:

@Slowswift The featured author was Eric James Stone. Brandon wasn't the only author in attendance, not by a long shot. Julie Frost was there (although I didn't know her then), as were several others that I recognized by sight, if not by name, from SLCC or LTUE.

Oh, okay. Cool!

• Chaos locked this topic