Allomancer

Senn Conrad looked disconsolately at the table. It was sparsely laid - a sign of the hard times his house had fallen into. Of course, there was no danger of going hungry. The fields full of skaa were proof against that eventuality. But his father's reckless trading ventures had embeggared the house, and upon his death, Senn had inherited a house nearly in default on numerous loans. By the skin of his teeth and a few well-timed lucky breaks, he had made it through. The only loans remaining were in the process of being paid off. His trading network was beginning to grow again. House Conrad had a future. Until now.

He turned the letter over and over in his hands. The missive was fairly worded, but loaded with innuendo all the same. The message was clear. His daughter was to be married off to create a merger with a client house of Venture, one of the most powerful of the Great Houses. The marriage would have been a light thing had his only son not died the previous month. His daughter could have carried on the family line, of course, made sure that there still remained a House Conrad when he was gone. But the terms of the marriage contract demanded by Straff - the odious head of an odious House! - denied that possibility. In a couple of decades, there would not be a Conrad. Perhaps he could marry again, have another son? But Venture was notoriously ruthless against those who defied their wishes. And, as Venture had recently purchased the last of his loans from House Erikeller, there were direct forms of compulsion they could apply...

Well, what they didn't know was that he had saved just enough funds to pay off the debts. There would be nothing left to expand the business, which was why he hadn't cleared the books yet. It was only a year's worth of payments left, and he could leverage that money to ensure their future prosperity. But, given the circumstances, a cash-strapped House with no debt was better off than a flush House with Venture pulling it's strings.

After all, what could Straff do about it once the debt was paid?

Welcome to LG34: Allomancer! The players are members of the manor guard of House Conrad, a minor client house of House Venture. The House Lord is pushing back against Venture's attempts to meddle in his business, and as a response, House Venture has sent an elite team of infiltrators to ensure Lord Conrad's compliance. "Convenient" raids by skaa rebels have managed to destroy the most recent shipment of Allomantic metals, and the guard captains have given strict orders to prevent metal hoarding. Metals are supposed to be kept in the guard's vault. Of course, this has the effect of creating a black market of metal trading among the guardsmen, and even the non-Allomancers are getting in on the action. As the stakes rise, nobody knows who they can trust, and who might just stab them in the back.

This game is set roughly 15 years before Mistborn: The Final Empire, and may contain spoilers for the first Mistborn book.

Factions and General Rules:

Spoiler

Allomancy and Metals:
A number of players will be Allomancers of some sort. If an Allomancer possesses a vial of the proper metal, they may burn it to gain an ability, as described in the Allomantic Roles section. All Allomancers begin play with two vials of the metal they can burn, except the Mistborn, who begins play with one vial of each metal. A player may pass one or more vials they possess to another player during the Day Turn instead of voting, or during the Night Turn instead of taking an action or ordering metals.

At the beginning of each Night Turn, the GM will randomly determine the availability of each metal. The list of available metals for that night will be publicly posted. During the Night Turn, any player may order a vial of any available metal via their GM PM instead of taking an action. The player will receive their metals at the start of the following Day Turn, as long as there is at least one Metallurgist available to provide them.

Hemalurgic Spikes:
Among your company, some are rumored to have uncovered dark arts. A player may begin play with at least one Hemalurgic Spike. Any player possessing such a spike may implant it during the Day Turn instead of Voting, or during the Night Turn instead of taking an action or ordering metals. While the Spike is implanted, that player may burn the appropriate metal as if they had the associated Allomantic role. If a Spike is not implanted, it may be stolen or passed like any other item. A player with an implanted spike may remove it during any Turn without using an action.

Factions:
There are two factions in the game, the
Loyal Guardsmen and the Venture Agents. The Loyal Guardsmen win if each Venture Agent is removed from the game. The Venture Agents win if they outnumber all other players. The Venture Agents have a faction kill, that can be used at night instead of using a role ability. There are also two neutral roles, the Thief and the Metallurgist. Each of these roles has the following win condition: survive until the end of the game.

Turns and Order of Actions:
Each Cycle will consist of a 48-hour Day Turn, followed by a 24-hour Night Turn. The game will begin on Night 0 (with apologies to the first kill). The Order of Actions will be as follows:

Day Turn: Soother/Rioter, Thug, Passing Items, Votes, Lynch

Night Turn: Captain/Hazekiller*, Ordering Metals, Implanting Spikes, Thief, Passing Items, Tineye, Courier, Metallurgist, Lurcher, Smoker, Seeker, Coinshot/Faction Kill*

Notes: If a Captain detains a Hazekiller who blocked him, the Hazekiller will be injured, but will not have their metals confiscated. If a Captain detains a Hazekiller that blocked another player, the Hazekiller's action will be cancelled. If a Hazekiller blocks a Captain who detains another player, the Captain's action will be blocked and the Hazekiller will be injured.

The Coinshot and the Faction Kill occur simultaneously. Neither kill can prevent any action from occurring.

Roles:

Spoiler

Basic Roles:

Captain:
During the Night Turn, you may detain one player. This detention is publicly announced at the start of the next Day Turn, and you are told what metal vials this player possessed. A detained player cannot take any action, and their metal vials are removed from the game. If you detain a Metallurgist, then the Metallurgist cannot provide metal vials during the next Cycle.

Courier: During the Night Turn, you may create one PM between any two players, including yourself.

Hazekiller: During the Night Turn, you may target any player and block their action. After successfully blocking an action, you are now Injured, and may not use this action for the rest of the game. If you are block another Hazekiller performing their action, you both become Injured.

Allomantic Roles

Tineye:
During the Night Turn, you may burn a Tin Vial to target a player and find out who they targeted last night (but not what action they performed).

Thug: During the Day Turn, you may burn a Pewter Vial. Until the end of the following Night, you survive the first kill attempt targeted at you, including the lynch.

Coinshot: During the Night Turn, you may burn a Steel Vial to attack a player.

Lurcher: During the Night Turn, you may burn an Iron Vial to protect a player. You will be told if they were attacked that cycle.

Soother: During the Day Turn, you may burn a Brass Vial to target a player and cancel their vote.

Rioter: During the Day Turn, you may burn a Zinc Vial to target a player and move their vote to another player. If you do so, your own vote is cancelled as well.

Smoker: During the Night Turn, you may burn a Copper Vial to target a player. Until the end of the following Day, both you and your target are immune to the effects of Allomantic Brass, Allomantic Zinc, and Allomantic Bronze.

Seeker: During the Night Turn, you may burn a Bronze Vial to target a player and find out what Allomantic metal they burned last night (but not who they targeted). If you target a player who has implanted a Hemalurgic Spike, you will also be told that they are a Hemalurgist, in addition to what metal they burned, if any.

Mistborn: During any turn, you may burn a vial of any Allomantic metal to get its effects. This may only be done once per Turn.

Neutral Roles:

Thief: During the Night Turn, you may target any player and steal a random item they possess.

Metallurgist: Each Night, you are able to obtain vials of a randomly determined amount of metals. Any player may order a vial of these metals via their GM PM, and you are given a list of who ordered your metals at the end of each Night Turn. Once per game, you may adulterate one vial of metals given to any player. A player that burns that vial is killed and their action is cancelled, unless they are protected by non-adulterated Pewter.

bla_1496116800.png

Player List:

1. Marv (Hemalurgic_Headshot)
  2. Barry Allen (The Flash)
  3. Jeff (Manukos) - short for Jeffonimo
  4. Lance (Ecthelion III) - The Second Nameless
  5. Booken (Paranoid King) - a victim of the "common word + en" method of naming
  6. Garshin (Yitzi2)
  7. Ribis (cloudjumper) - the bored second son of a noble from the Remote Dominance
  8. Stick McStick (_Stick_)
  9. Dromea Larabeck (Drake Marshall) - elderly minor noblewoman who works as an informant for the guards
  10. Remart (Jondesu)
  11. Beet Asper (Ornstein) - an old timer who knows his stuff
  12. Locke Tekiel (OrlokTsubodai) - a scion of a well - respected noble house
  13. Absolen (StrikerEZ) - a skaa worker in the Conrad fields
  14. Jay (DroughtBringer) - a blind young man attempting to keep his blindness a secret
  15. Boris (Elenion) - a guard known for laziness and general apathy
  16. Hadrian Penrod (Araris Valerian) - hoping to ascend to Ruin
  17. Mehir (Metacognition) - a mute and paranoid guard
  18. Cluny (Cluny the Scourge) - a man who believes he is a rat with a spearhead on his tail
  19. Valbar (TheMightyLopen) - who always gets ignored despite his large stature
  20. Mila (BrightnessRadiant) - a girl from the country
  21. Sorren Karidor (Dalinar Kholin) - an old guard who's been here longer than any of you whippersnappers
  22. Argyle (Sart) - a very clumsy man

Quick Links:

Edited by Alvron

Yes FINALLY I've been waiting and stalking every single SE in order to learn how to do this. I'll be... I'll be Barry Allen. For simplicity:D but if only there were feruchemists. Then I could be a steel runner and be thematically appropriate. But alas, that would be too obvious. And I would get too excited and Blab. Ok so when does this thing start? Does it start when LG33 ends?

Edited by The Flash

2 hours ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

I've only read the first mistborn book...if I play this will I get spoilers??

Probably nothing major.  (Actually, there are spoilers in the OP if you know where to look, but not major ones.)

Garshin (from LG32) will be in this game (though I'll make sure to use spoiler tags for any major spoilers he'd produce, being from 300 years in the future).

By the way, when is the game starting?

And, just to clarify: The role and starting spike distribution is (at least as far as we know) the same between the Loyal Guardsmen and Venture Agents, right?

Edited by Yitzi2

Hmmm... This looks like it could be a fun game. It looks to be a nice balance between time-tested role distribution and new features.

Plus I'm not in any SE games and I expect I should have the time for this one. I'll try not to die for once.

Sign me up as... Hm... Need a new Scadrial character. Name generators to the rescue...

Lets go with Dromea Larabeck. She's an elderly lady (minor noble) that works as an informant for the guards.

Oh, also, question. What happens if a mistborn gets their hands on a hemalurgic spike, or if a misting gets a spike of their existing power? :D

5 hours ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

I've only read the first mistborn book...if I play this will I get spoilers??

I hope not...but I can't guarantee anything. It's been a while since I reread them, and details are kind of mushy in my mind. But we're set roughly 15 years pre-books, so there shouldn't be many spoilers, if any. There is one rather large spoiler already present in the rules, but if you don't know about it already, it won't mean anything to you until you get to that point of the book.

4 hours ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

Oooh. Can't pass it up, that SE.

I need to come up with a fallback everygame character, so... Marv. Yes, Marv. My name is Marv.

Q: The Thief can target a player and steal a random item they possess. Does this mean there are more items than just vials? ;)

Yes. Hemalurgic spikes count as items that can be stolen until they are implanted.

4 hours ago, Straw said:

Is the spec doc grouped with the dead doc? 

Yes. Or, it will be. In the reasonably near future. When I actually get one of them setup.

4 hours ago, The Flash said:

Yes FINALLY I've been waiting and stalking every single SE in order to learn how to do this. I'll be... I'll be Barry Allen. For simplicity:D but if only there were feruchemists. Then I could be a steel runner and be thematically appropriate. But alas, that would be too obvious. And I would get too excited and Blab. Ok so when does this thing start? Does it start when LG33 ends?

I've added a countdown timer to the OP. It will start on Monday, May 29th, at 10:00 PM Mountain Daylight Time.

2 hours ago, Yitzi2 said:

Probably nothing major.  (Actually, there are spoilers in the OP if you know where to look, but not major ones.)

Garshin (from LG32) will be in this game (though I'll make sure to use spoiler tags for any major spoilers he'd produce, being from 300 years in the future).

By the way, when is the game starting?

And, just to clarify: The role and starting spike distribution is (at least as far as we know) the same between the Loyal Guardsmen and Venture Agents, right?

See above.

And as far as starting distribution goes...PAFO!

1 hour ago, Drake Marshall said:

Hmmm... This looks like it could be a fun game. It looks to be a nice balance between time-tested role distribution and new features.

Plus I'm not in any SE games and I expect I should have the time for this one. I'll try not to die for once.

Sign me up as... Hm... Need a new Scadrial character. Name generators to the rescue...

Lets go with Dromea Larabeck. She's an elderly lady (minor noble) that works as an informant for the guards.

Oh, also, question. What happens if a mistborn gets their hands on a hemalurgic spike, or if a misting gets a spike of their existing power? :D

That's also a PAFO! If you feel so inclined, you could even make it your personal mission in-game to find out...

Also, a large welcome to everybody who's signed up so far! And if you haven't, there's still almost a week left. Sure, it's not Shardic Power, but...hey, Allomancy is something, right?

EDIT: I've also added the starting RP - go and read it to get a feel for the background, setting, and so on! And I fixed all of the stupid formatting errors. So you can actually find things in the rules.

Edited by Seonid

Just now, Ecthelion III said:

@Seonid Can a Mistborn burn any metal on any Turn, or does it have to be in the Turn specified by the individual metal?

A metal cannot be burned on a Turn other than that listed in the rules. So if you try to burn steel during the Day, there is no effect. If you try to burn Zinc at Night, no effect. And so on.

Also, as a preemptive measure: I'm expecting questions on how the whole gaining metals/ordering/Metallurgist/etc. mechanic functions. The rules probably aren't especially clear, so I will illustrate with an example.

Alvron is a Metallurgist. At the beginning of Night 2, I randomly roll for which metals he has access to for that night. The dice gods say that Steel, Zinc, and Pewter are available for purchase.

Lightsworn Panda is also a Metallurgist. The dice gods determine that Brass, Copper, and Pewter are available. The writeup indicates that Steel, Brass, Zinc, Copper, and Pewter are available for ordering to the players. Any player may order a single vial of any one of the available metals (you can only order one vial per night). Alvron is told the names of everyone who orders Steel or Zinc, and Lightsworn Panda is told the names of everyone who orders Brass or Copper. Pewter orders will be assigned to the Metallurgists randomly, and Alvron will be told only the names of the Pewter orders that are randomly assigned to him (Same with Lightsworn).

Alvron is detained by a Captain during Night 2. During Night 3, no dice will be rolled, and no metals will be available through him. Metals will be rolled and posted for Lightsworn as normal.

1 hour ago, Seonid said:

Alvron is a Metallurgist. At the beginning of Night 2, I randomly roll for which metals he has access to for that night. The dice gods say that Steel, Zinc, and Pewter are available for purchase.

Lightsworn Panda is also a Metallurgist. The dice gods determine that Brass, Copper, and Pewter are available. The writeup indicates that Steel, Brass, Zinc, Copper, and Pewter are available for ordering to the players. Any player may order a single vial of any one of the available metals (you can only order one vial per night). Alvron is told the names of everyone who orders Steel or Zinc, and Lightsworn Panda is told the names of everyone who orders Brass or Copper. Pewter orders will be assigned to the Metallurgists randomly, and Alvron will be told only the names of the Pewter orders that are randomly assigned to him (Same with Lightsworn).

Alvron is detained by a Captain during Night 2. During Night 3, no dice will be rolled, and no metals will be available through him. Metals will be rolled and posted for Lightsworn as normal.

Saw this and thought "Jain's back?  Awesome!"  But sadly not.  #missyouJain
Also, how could you lock me up Captain?  That's so mean of you.  So very, very mean. :( 

Question: In your example, each Metallurgist had 3 metals available.  Is it always 3 metals, or is each metal rolled individually, or do you first randomly determine the number of metals and then determine which ones they are?