We're working on a new WoB Archive

Chaos

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

I've heard that people in certain countries get that error; apparently it's been very longstanding. We certainly won't have that issue in the new one (and is another reason to run things in house, so we can fix stuff like that).

Amusingly enough, in the one specific hotel I am at in Japan right now, the hotel WiFi gives that error but mobile data accesses it just fine. I couldn't fathom a guess as to how they set up Theoryland wrong.

I don't have the acess at home, but at work and in university, so it's most likely something about my router or so. Unfortunately work and university are not the usual place to search WoBs.

10 minutes ago, Alfa said:

I don't have the acess at home, but at work and in university, so it's most likely something about my router or so. Unfortunately work and university are not the usual place to search WoBs.

Yeah I don't know, it's super weird. (Also, since I freak out about weird 17S errors, it's nice that I can say that it was not at all my fault here.)

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

I've heard that people in certain countries get that error; apparently it's been very longstanding.

Yeah, several people in Polish fandom have said theoryland doesn't work for them. For me it always worked, though.

HYYYPE!

I kinda have a lot of free time at the moment (a moment being until I find a job >.>) so I can definitely contribute some time to this. I also know a fairly small, but core amount of python, so I might be able to contribute there too. I'll have to take a look at it when you release it. Even if I can't contribute there, it'll still be interesting to look at.

Well, I guess I shall eagerly await anything more with this. If you feel it would be useful to get a fresh pair of eyes to look at it, I'd be happy to. Not gonna push on any of this though, better done right than fast, of course.

Edit: this was also my 666th post, so I need to add maniacal laughter.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!1!

Edited by Djarskublar

• 2 weeks later...

My recent diggings for chronology make me all the more excited for the new Archive. I searched for chronology and half of that stuff was WoT so I thought I'd just go ctrl+f "cosmere" since cosmere WoBs would be tagged with "cosmere"?

Nope. Turns out some had like only two tags: "chronology" and "stormlight archive" <_<

Edited by Oversleep

3 hours ago, Oversleep said:

My recent diggings for chronology make me all the more excited for the new Archive. I searched for chronology and half of that stuff was WoT so I thought I'd just go ctrl+f "cosmere" since cosmere WoBs would be tagged with "cosmere"?

Nope. Turns out some had like only two tags: "chronology" and "stormlight archive" <_<

I think my quotes found for the Cosmere article on the Coppermind are still up to date. But yeah, the search on the new thing is much much better.

20 hours ago, Chaos said:

Oh neat! I did not see that. Great job :)

Feel free to steal cannibalize use it in coppermind :P

On another note, somebody said "people who eat WoBs for breakfast"... and I thought I could totally use a daily batch of WoBs to accompany my morning tea. An app that shows you random WoBs you have not seen before (that part is hard since it would need a way to mark what you have already seen - and copying the WoB archive is not feasible, so it would have to operate on the proper database and keep your profile with the list of WoBs you have seen already...).

Next step would be random WoBs from choosen category, like "Scadrian WoBs" or "Hoid WoBs"...

@Oversleep once the Palanaeum is open source, feel free to implement some API and create an Android app for that ;) I'd use it!

We most definitely can at least provide an RSS feed with newest WoBs from the system. But that's not a priority, so may come some time after we go public.

1 minute ago, Mestiv said:

@Oversleep once the Palanaeum is open source, feel free to implement some API and create an Android app for that ;) I'd use it!

Well, one day I could write that :P

6 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

We most definitely can at least provide an RSS feed with newest WoBs from the system. But that's not a priority, so may come some time after we go public.

That would be a godsend. It's hard keeping up with the new stuff.

Now I have thought about this, actually keeping a list of WoBs you have seen is not that hard. You just need to keep a list of lists: signing report + the number of the WoB.

The actual hard thing to do would be making it so that if you just read up through WoB archive (and not the random through the app) it marks them as read.

7 hours ago, Mestiv said:

What language is it being written in? 

Hey cool.

Re: Hosting videos elsewhere, it's not that hard to strip the audio from a video file usually. For completeness sake, you could do that so you do always have a local audio copy, but link to the video option if people wanted to see it.

1 hour ago, Haelbarde said:

Hey cool.

Re: Hosting videos elsewhere, it's not that hard to strip the audio from a video file usually. For completeness sake, you could do that so you do always have a local audio copy, but link to the video option if people wanted to see it.

That's actually exactly what we are doing now.

Might have to ask permission, more because of publishers than Brandon.  But perhaps see if you can add the actual text of all his books, so it's included with WoB Canon when searching.

I can see a basic usage agreement, meaning it's not view able as a complete work, but is stored server side for search purposes and only returns relevant passage on searching. 

This would greatly help those without kindle versions of books when they want to search.

1 minute ago, ReticentBondsmith said:

You mentioned this would be out in June. Does this mean we can expect to see it in the next week or so? :)

I said:

We plan to show the WoB Archive to many awesome individuals in the community who already transcribe stuff so they can test and give feedback on things. This will be our beta period. We're just about there, so very soon this will be out there in June. We have a list of people we are inviting, so hang tight! We want to show you this ASAP. We're starting small for now (especially compared to the fandom at large), but you'll all see this soon!

June and onward is the closed beta period, not the open release. The formal release will be shortly before Oathbringer. Maybe earlier but don't count on it.