We're working on a new WoB Archive

Chaos

1 hour ago, Extesian said:

But...how will I earn my internet points by quickly finding obscure WoBs for other people's posts?

No, this is, sadly, one of the happiest pieces of news I've heard in a very long time! I love you guys!!! And I can't wait until contributions are opened up, make use of my love of researching WoBs.

In terms of name - how about The Words of Founding? You know, coz that was a collection of statements with implications for the Cosmere and Realmatics, handed down by a god to his faithful subjects to make the world a better place, and that people spend hours deciphering to determine their true meaning :)

Or- the Words of Sharding. Ok. I like that. I like that a lot. 

We have a pretty good name that we came up a day or so ago but Weiry was not ready to confirm it quite yet. I'm really liking the name we have planned though; I'm liking it more and more the more people I run it past. Nothing to announce yet though!

Thank you for the suggestions, however, but I think we are set :)

4 hours ago, Reborn radiant said:

Guys! I am an aspiring developer myself and it would be really awesome that this is going to be open sourced.  I can't wait to try and contribute to this software!

And I can't wait for your contributions ;) The thing is written in Python + Django, so you can prepare yourself ;)

1 hour ago, Mestiv said:

And I can't wait for your contributions ;) The thing is written in Python + Django, so you can prepare yourself

Ouch, I've worked on PHP and Node JS for backend ( I know php better), but I do have some experience with python, not much with Django. But damnation, I would learn that framework if it means contributing here.

Over in the wiki, there are many references to Theoryland, Reddit, etc. within the articles. I assume those would need to be updated to point to the new database? And in the future, we should avoid referencing these other sources?

13 minutes ago, Hadhad said:

Over in the wiki, there are many references to Theoryland, Reddit, etc. within the articles. I assume those would need to be updated to point to the new database? And in the future, we should avoid referencing these other sources?

I'd think Reddit links would stay, since they are still the primary source, while both Theoryland and This-Thing-We-Want-To-Know-The-Name-For are secondary sources, like the Coppermind itself. Depending on the actual information, Theoryland may be the primary source for some older interviews (like a signing report during a Wheel of Time tour, done by a Theoryland member), so it might be beneficial to continue linking to Theoryland in some cases. But you're right, most links should probably be updated, especially those that could get linked to an audio snippet.

Edited by Pagerunner

26 minutes ago, Hadhad said:

Updating wiki citations will indeed be a big project and is on the agenda. 

For the past few years (since 2014 or so) when things weren't all getting into Theoryland, it was faster to cite on the wiki the direct source. So direct sources are fine, but I imagine eventually most everything should get converted to the new citations. At the very least, depreciating Theoryland for those citations. (Pagerunner is correct that Theoryland may be relevant to cite in some very specific circumstances, but I imagine that will be very particular.) That conversion will be a big project and will take a while to do, and I couldn't tell you when that would be done. 

I was going to suggest that you name it after that cone-shaped library in Kharbranth that Shallan and Jasnah studied in, but I googled it and found out that it's called...

"the palanaeum."

so never mind, just ignore me. 

Awesome. I always wanted a site on the likes of 'So Spake Martin' where there's an ease of accessibility. 
(Also for some unknown reasons Theoryland is blocked in our region) 

Forgive me if links aren't allowed, still a newbie here!
Here's the link to So Spake Martin: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/ 
They have wonderfully categorised the GRRM snippets into the ones through email correspondence, signings, interviews, forums, geographical locations, characters etc. as well as classified it according to calendar months and years. This makes it easier to access a particular SSM one wants to. 

Hopefully, the Words of Brandon site would incorporate these features (suggestions?) as well.

18 minutes ago, Cloak said:

Awesome. I always wanted a site on the likes of 'So Spake Martin' where there's an ease of accessibility. 
(Also for some unknown reasons Theoryland is blocked in our region) 

Forgive me if links aren't allowed, still a newbie here!
Here's the link to So Spake Martin: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/ 
They have wonderfully categorised the GRRM snippets into the ones through email correspondence, signings, interviews, forums, geographical locations, characters etc. as well as classified it according to calendar months and years. This makes it easier to access a particular SSM one wants to. 

Hopefully, the Words of Brandon site would incorporate these features (suggestions?) as well.

Ironically enough, I can't access So Spake Martin. It looks like westeros.org is down.

Theoryland is a pretty useful tool, although it does have its limitations. There are two ways to access the information within: you can look at a particular signing report, which will have have all the information from an event, blog post, reddit AMA, etc... with each distinct question having its own header on the page and any important tag words beneath the quote. (That actually lets you link to an individual WoB, which is quite an essential thing to do for those of us making and breaking theories.) Or, you could do a search for all tidbits on all pages that have a certain word either in the quote itself or as one of the tags, if you're looking at a broad topic. At the very least, I'm sure the new implementation will not lose any of this functionality.

The three big problems that Theoryland has that will be corrected are: slow to update (because it's a Wheel of Time fansite, not a Brandon fansite) and lots of quotes from Robert Jordan (because... it's a Wheel of Time fansite, not a Brandon fansite!), and an inconsistent tagging system (it works fine for characters and places, but Realmatic topics and magic systems are a little hard to follow). Even if they were just copying the Theoryland platform onto our site and repopulating everything, it would still satisfy a good chunk of what you're looking for (although you can't combine a date search and a tag search, like "everything about Kaladin before 2014").

So, I don't think you'll have anything to worry about, even though neither of us can compare TL and SSM. But the great part is, since the new thing is in-house, we'll be able to bug them to fix stuff if it doesn't work! (I've been toying around on my own personal WoB database for a while, and once I get a look at the new system I expect I'll have some suggestions to pass along, as well.) As long as we ask nicely and are patient, if anything comes up, I'm sure Weiry and Mestiv will be happy to listen.

2 hours ago, Mestiv said:

I was able to take a look at SSM and I can say that we will have similar features and much more ;)

Guys, you don't know it yet because we haven't showed you the archive yet, but it's really cool.

Also Mestiv is a god. 

8 hours ago, Mestiv said:

I was able to take a look at SSM and I can say that we will have similar features and much more ;)

Awesome! Looking forward to it. :D 

5 hours ago, Chaos said:

Also Mestiv is a god. 

How many Breaths does he hold? :P 

1 hour ago, Cloak said:

How many Breaths does he hold? :P

Mestiv, also known as Codebringer the Catlike has one Breath, although it's equivalent to 2000 standard Breaths.

Fittingly his rank is Tarachin Superstar :D

53 minutes ago, Alfa said:

I like this Idea. For some reason I can't access Theoryland (Error 403: Bad Gateway), so I'm kind of several years behind on WoB.

I've heard that people in certain countries get that error; apparently it's been very longstanding. We certainly won't have that issue in the new one (and is another reason to run things in house, so we can fix stuff like that).

Amusingly enough, in the one specific hotel I am at in Japan right now, the hotel WiFi gives that error but mobile data accesses it just fine. I couldn't fathom a guess as to how they set up Theoryland wrong.