Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

kais

2 hours ago, kais said:

I spent a little over a month in Australia a few years ago and loved it. Which part are you going to? 

(Also, I second 'Silk's Road')

I like Silk's Road too, actually! It feels like an in-joke but that might not be a bad thing. I'll put it on the list of contenders (it's, uh, a very short list).

Hoo boy, this is my favourite topic right now. I'm starting in Alice Springs and doing a camping/hiking tour around Uluru, the Kata Tujas, and the McDonnell ranges. After that, I'm heading to Cairns and doing a tour through Cairns, Cape Tribulation, and all the way down the Gold Coast into Sydney. I'm actually going to spend a week on the north island of New Zealand as well, then go waaaay out of the way to Perth for a few days (since there's no point at which the west coast will NOT be out of the way). Then I'm going to spend just over a week in Melbourne before settling in Tasmania  for the remainder of the trip. I have a friend there who's a musician and so the plan is to play some music, hopefully write some music, do some recordings and maybe some shows, etc. Then home where I imagine I will be glad to never see the inside of an airplane or an airport ever again.

Cape Tribulation, isn't that near Rejection Inlet? Been there...

You've got me on distance, but I did once go from Glasgow to London Heathrow to Minneapolis to Spokane to San Francisco to Kona (Hawai'i) to Kahului (Maui) to Molokai to Kona to Seattle to Boston to London to Glasgow in three weeks :) 

I hope you have an absolutely brilliant time - sounds amazing.

I will oftentimes fly out of the smaller of the two airports in my area because they have different flight times than the larger one that either give me a better layover or work with my schedule better. The little airports vs the big-big one 2 hours away is a calculation of gas prices for driving up there vs paying for parking when I get there. Given airfare these days, even a $10 difference in prices can matter. :/ 

Pro tip - the elevator pitch 'lesbians in space', when describing your book, ensures it will sell out in hours. HOURS. What in the world am I going to do with the last day at this con?

Edited by kais

12 minutes ago, kais said:

Pro tip - the elevator pitch 'lesbians in space', when describing your book, ensures it will sell out in hours. HOURS. What in the world am I going to do with the last day at this con?

That's awesome! Yes I think Kameron Hurley may have primed that pump for you (so to speak...). Have you read The Star Are Legion? I just finished it and it's really good. 

As for your (good) problem, maybe sell preorders? Have a laptop, sell on Amazon, and sign bookmarks or cards instead?

28 minutes ago, Mandamon said:

That's awesome! Yes I think Kameron Hurley may have primed that pump for you (so to speak...). Have you read The Star Are Legion? I just finished it and it's really good. 

As for your (good) problem, maybe sell preorders? Have a laptop, sell on Amazon, and sign bookmarks or cards instead?

Have you read her God's War trilogy? I thought those were good but her next series Mirror Empire I couldn't get into though. It was just a poorly written in my opinion and she had a very despicable message that she was pushing towards the audience that I didn't want to be apart of and support. That's just my opinion though; Hurley can express hers and people may agree with her.

Edited by Ammanas

1 hour ago, Ammanas said:

Mirror Empire

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like it. That was the first of Hurley's book's I tried to read. I made it through the first one, but only just. I really liked the worldbuilding, but like you said, I didn't really enjoy the message. I've heard her other stuff is really good, so I was happy to enjoy The Stars are Legion.

14 hours ago, Ammanas said:

Not quite as good as my favorite from Banks' The Crow Road

A dearly departed son of Caledonia. Sorely missed, and a great loss not just to SF, but to literature. If he had lived during the Golden Age, I believe he would have been lauded among its giants. Even now, I'm not sure he is appreciated as much as his work deserves.

On 2017-09-07 at 1:54 AM, Robinski said:

Cape Tribulation, isn't that near Rejection Inlet? Been there...

You've got me on distance, but I did once go from Glasgow to London Heathrow to Minneapolis to Spokane to San Francisco to Kona (Hawai'i) to Kahului (Maui) to Molokai to Kona to Seattle to Boston to London to Glasgow in three weeks :) 

I hope you have an absolutely brilliant time - sounds amazing.

It's also only a hop, skip, and a jump from Editing Bay.

Hey all--it's the last day of my Kickstarter! Just wanted to share that I've passed the first stretch goal--yay!!

I'll also be at a local street Con all today, hopefully selling more people on the Kickstarter, so it may go even higher. I'll let you all know what happens. I am definitely ready to be over this thing and get back to regular writing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/spacewizard/the-seeds-of-dissolution-a-dissolutionverse-novel

ASD LIVES! Preorder is up, release date is (finally) stable, and I've got a book launch to plan. It's available through all the various other country Amazons (Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, etc), for those outside the US who simply must own Lesbians in Space, volume II. Just search under the title name.

I also started hardcore querying TWD. I'd forgotten how nerve wracking that whole process is. 

• 3 weeks later...

I do kind of hate discussing serious topics in the Lounge, but this is the best place to put this without starting a new thread. I don't think I can justify a new thread, though, and it's a Monday with no submissions, so it's quite around here anyway.

I'm leaving Reading Excuses. To clarify, it's of no fault of any one particular member here nor is it cumulatively your faults. To put it briefly, something has come up which I feel necessitates my leaving of Reading Excuses, so I shall take an indefinite leave. I still plan on continuing writing, of course, and everyone here has been a great help. I've been a sporadic member for a few years at least, and even then, I feel my writing has been improved tremendously. Thanks, all of you for the perspectives I've gotten. I know I can be a bit rough around the edges when it comes to clashing viewpoints, but I think I've gained a better understanding of you all. I'm not going to name names, but if you've ever critiqued my work, or even if I've critiqued yours, I've learned a lot. And, while I won't be a member anymore, if any of you want the resident hard sci-fi nut pouring over your settings, feel free to  shoot me an email at the email address I use for RE. I won't mind, trust me.

May your quills stay sharp, your paper crisp, and your inkwells continually emptied. aeromancer.

Yeah, I'll be there. I'm actually using it as my motivation to finish current edit of TMM: 33 chapters in 31 days; on target so far. Nice to have a bit of pressure before NaNo even starts, :lol:

Then I'll use NaNo to complete a draft of the sequel, TCC, which I'm 24,000 words into. Done by Christmas!! :D

What about you? ;) 

Edited by Robinski

13 hours ago, industrialistDragon said:

Soo... NaNoWriMo is coming up. Anybody here going to try for it?

I'm probably going to skip it again. For one, I'll be doing final edits for The Seeds of Dissolution, and trying to get that released, and for another, I tend to only get bad writing I have to heavily edit from NaNo.

But I will cheer everyone else on!

2 minutes ago, industrialistDragon said:

Hahaha, nnnope! I enjoy the encouraging essays that come out during NaNo, and I'll cheer on anyone who's trying for it, but that kind of fast writing is waaaay beyond me. 

Sorry, I was at least 75% jesting (but will always gladly read more of your writing.)

Edited by Robinski