Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

kais

11 hours ago, kais said:

So uh, this is a thing now. Which is one of the reasons I'm so far behind in responding to crit. BUT ALSO I just finished listening to book one as an audio book and OMG the voice actress is amazing. Having your book become an audio book and then listening to it has to be one of the most rewarding things ever. EVER. And she's already signed on for book two!

This is great. Happy for you :D   Can I get mine in a brown paper bag, please? That cover... phew! ;) 

1 hour ago, Robinski said:

That cover... phew!

Ahh... first draft did not have the ladies on it and I actually requested them. Since it's the book that actually, finally has some 'action,' I thought maybe it'd better be marketed that way. People at cons are much more drawn to book one's cover than book two's, so now we'll see how two women on a cover work.

But yes, it, uh, is a bit racy.

9 hours ago, kais said:

Ahh... first draft did not have the ladies on it and I actually requested them. Since it's the book that actually, finally has some 'action,' I thought maybe it'd better be marketed that way. People at cons are much more drawn to book one's cover than book two's, so now we'll see how two women on a cover work.

But yes, it, uh, is a bit racy.

I liked book 2's cover best, but it has plants instead of people, and often, I'd rather hand out with plants than people. Plants don't care if I am awkward. 

Of course, if someone is at a con, they probably are more of a people person than me, and will probably love a cover with two people on it more than with one people on it. 

Yes, I just wrote "one people."

2 hours ago, Silk said:

and it was just kissing!

Well it's also a planet on fire, so, you know, both are plot relevant.

1 hour ago, shatteredsmooth said:

I liked book 2's cover best,

I do, too! And book three's original cover was just the smoking planet, which was gorgeous, but not great for marketing. Disembodied female heads (or headless male torsos for the M/M set) sell books. *sigh* 

8 hours ago, Jorville said:

Hey guys, another question here. Since this is the first time I have had major critiques I was wondering how you guys compile and then implement the comments that you feel need to be implemented.

I've been doing this for the last 5 hours on a flight to Seattle! I just open up the document with the critiques, or the relevant RE page and go through my word doc and address the comments. Easier with LBLs, but works for me either way. That way I can mark off an entice section "done" at one time. If I can address everything, I usually have a separate "notes" document with changes I need to make later.

15 hours ago, kais said:

Yeah, got to say the cover of Book 2 is pretty pedestrian compared to the other two. I can barely remember what's on it--some vegetation? Get them to change it when you get to the second edition. Good call on Book 3 :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2018 at 9:07 PM, kais said:

Well it's also a planet on fire, so, you know, both are plot relevant.

True enough. It looks fantastic, though.

Hey so ummm at the end of April I went down to the coast to participate in a songwriting workshop, during which we were paired up randomly with two other songwriters and given three days (more like one and a half, when you account for all the other workshop activities) to write and record a song, and just in case anyone's interested, here's the one my group did, "The Devil I Know." (I posted all the credits for who did what on Twitter.)

I should note that this is a demo track and in no way meant to be a finished product, but hey, we had fun. And look! Silk writes things! I'm not a (complete) fraud!

Thanks for sharing, Silk. You do write!! :) 

10 hours ago, Silk said:

I should note that this is a demo track and in no way meant to be a finished product, but hey, we had fun. And look! Silk writes things! I'm not a (complete) fraud!

It'd be cool to hear an engineered/produced version. What are the chances?

10 hours ago, kais said:

OMG @Silk that is beautiful and amazing! Thank you so much for sharing!

Thank you! :)

5 hours ago, Robinski said:

Thanks for sharing, Silk. You do write!! :) 

It'd be cool to hear an engineered/produced version. What are the chances?

I do!

In the short term, say the next year or two, unless one of my co-writers decides to produce it or it gets picked up by someone else entirely (far too early to tell), this is about as produced as it's going to get. (And there was some production; five hours of studio time, though that includes the actual recording process as well, of course.) It'll cost a good chunk in time and money to coordinate studio time, session musicians, etc, and I don't think I want to put any of that down until I can bundle it with a complete album.

Which means I have to write a few more of these...

Hello all,

I recently joined the forum and very recently began skulking around here as I hear this is the place where the writing gets done.
I thought since I'm painfully new at this, that I should introduce myself as I try to fully engage with this crazy world of internet community. 

As this seems the place for more general discussion I figured I would put this here.

Hi! I'm Lunarhade (I pronounce it like the ade part of Gatorade with an h sound. I can't tell you how or why that name happened)

I'm a senior in college, live in the U.S, and have been a fan of Brandon's work for about four years now. The reason I took the plunge and created an account on here (aside from the fact you all seem super friendly) even though I've never done anything like this was that ever since I read Mistborn (my first Sanderson experience) I've been redefining what I want to write. As a result, whenever I attempted to get advice or have something workshopped, I often have to explain the foundation of what I enjoyed reading because I don't know anyone who reads Epic Fantasy, let alone Sanderson. I'm hoping that here, with a common foundation, I can share and learn with and from you undoubtedly talented people, and hopefully return the favour in kind. 

Cheers,

P.S Apologies if this is was awkward. I'm bad at initially picking up social more. 

On 6/10/2018 at 7:20 AM, Robinski said:

Cool. We await the results with eager anticipation :) 

I'll keep you posted!

11 hours ago, Mandamon said:

Just listened to it. Very nice, @Silk! So does this mean you can write the RE theme song? ;-)

You'll have to get in line after the Jaguar with Cape theme song and The Tale of the Tangle (that is, mutant radioactive sentient vines. I, um, I... kind of have weird friends.)

Also, what exactly would be the content of this theme song...?

10 hours ago, Lunarhade said:

I recently joined the forum and very recently began skulking around here as I hear this is the place where the writing gets done.
I thought since I'm painfully new at this, that I should introduce myself as I try to fully engage with this crazy world of internet community. 

Hello @Lunarhade and welcome to the forum! Try out some critiquing, read the pinned topics, and see how you like it. We look forward to reading your stuff!

6 hours ago, Robinski said:

I imagine something sweeping and epic, like the West Wing theme music...

Definitely.

Welcome to the forum, @Lunarhade! We're glad to have you!

I'm still hoping to get around to subbing today, but wow have these past few weeks been hectic. The audiobook of Ard comes out in a week, and the third book just came out last week (so I'm still in heavy promo time). Fox is getting full requests left and right (SO glad I turned it YA!) and I'm sort of in a perpetual panic mode with it. At least the term is over and summer is upon is in the northern hemisphere! 

I will be out for most of July and the back part of June though, for a surgery. I'll play catchup with subs when I return, with luck. Don't miss me too much.

Just jumping here to say that I was partially off the grid for a week, and plan to get caught on reading submissions this week and rewriting the opening of Oomph.

I don't anyone to think they scared me away since I sort of disappeared the week after getting a lot of criticism on a post. It was very helpful criticism. I just spent the past week not being online much and being outside a lot. I also had no WiFi, and limited cell service. 

On 6/11/2018 at 10:33 PM, Robinski said:

I imagine something sweeping and epic, like the West Wing theme music...

So... you're saying you don't expect much, then? :P

@kais Well that doesn't sound like much fun. Good luck and see you in July!