Lounge II (The Lounge Strikes Back)

kais

5 hours ago, Mandamon said:

Now I'm wondering if its kosher for me to gently nudge Michael Underwood when the submission period is over. I met him on the second WX cruise and have kept up with him on FB and Twitter.

Ha-ha, tricky one. No doubt they will be deluged, but there can't be any arm in something neutral like "After meeting you on the cruise, I didn't think you'd mind if I flagged that I'd made a submission through the open door." I guess maybe the line would be asking him to read it? I guess it depends on the form of your conversation on the cruise. As a naturally self deprecating sort of chap, I doubt I could muster the temerity to ask something like that, unless he had offered. What would the appropriate timing be? A week, maybe? dunno, but good luck!

5 hours ago, Mandamon said:

Now I'm wondering if its kosher for me to gently nudge Michael Underwood when the submission period is over.

I think this would have been best in your sub letter at the start of the entry, in terms of name dropping...unless you have his direct contact info??

Just now, kais said:

I think this would have been best in your sub letter

I would have, except they don't have a query letter, just contact info and some bio info.

I'll probably just send him a note on FB in January, or maybe he'll make another post before the window closes at the end of the year.

I did tag angry robot on twitter earlier...

14 minutes ago, Mandamon said:

I'll probably just send him a note on FB in January,

I'd do it sooner rather than later. They read as they come in, and Rs have already started coming out! (two known rejections, at this point)

I remember now the lack of query letter. Nice in some ways, rougher in terms of this for sure.

Re: Angry Robot Open Door

Many of the submitters congregate here. If you'd like, you can add your name to the spreadsheet. That thread is also where Pete gives updates as he hears them from AR. He signed with them after the first open door, I believe, and is therefore our update mole.

1 hour ago, Mandamon said:

Hey all, I'm doing a Writer of the Day spot on Reddit/Fantasy if anyone wants to come ask me stupid questions!

I'm there!! :D 

p.s. - How have I been on the Internet since 1990 and never used Reddit before? (Rhetorical question)

p.p.s - If Rhett Butler asked himself a rhetorical question would a world-ending paradox ensue?

Edited by Robinski

5 hours ago, Robinski said:

What's the latest on the publication schedule?

That's the enamel pin for book two! I had fancy pins made of all the major ships. Book two launched in October, so is available now! UK link here.

Third book comes out next May, and if I ever get this book of shorts written (you all know how well that's going), it should be about eight months from that. 

And hey @MandamonSeeds came in the mail yesterday, and WOW is that a thick book! It'll double as a burglar deterrent. All the illustrations and the map really make it a neat thing. Loving the extras!

9 hours ago, kais said:

And hey @MandamonSeeds came in the mail yesterday, and WOW is that a thick book! It'll double as a burglar deterrent. All the illustrations and the map really make it a neat thing. Loving the extras!

Cool! Yeah, I was surprised when I got the first copy, especially compared to the two novellas. It still looks tiny compared to Oathbringer, though.

It's done. TMM submitted to Angry Robot. That is easily the most exciting thing I have done in my writing 'career'. I want to do it again!! (I think...)

So much work went into it, especially in the final few days. A drop in the bucket of what went before, of course, but it just feels so intense making those final preps etc. Intense and exciting. And sorry for the last minute flurry of PMs and text 'clips', etc.

Anyway, this is a 'thank you' to everyone who got me this far, and who made the story so much better than it was to begin with. I could not have made it what it is now without you. Thanks to all, but especially @kais, @Mandamon, @rdpulfer and @industrialistDragon. :) 

If this sounds like an acceptance speech, it's only my acceptance of the inevitability of rejection :D 

5a4600fe879ea_ScreenShot2017-12-29at08_46_24.thumb.png.b42b6a446cea94a33cd1f3d405cd2b1b.png

8 hours ago, Robinski said:

It's done.

HUGE congratulations! Did you sub under WTF, or under SF?

On 12/27/2017 at 10:35 PM, Robinski said:

Have just been on Amazon and see that they are out of stock, but there are other sources.

I... don't know how that is possible considering its POD. It might be that you order it and then it will magically appear 'in stock'. Alternatively I could mail you a print copy if you'd like. 

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Yuoaman said:

t's been a while, everyone! Life has been very hectic but with my holiday hibernation finally coming to an end I thought I'd try to get back in the swing of both writing and critiquing!

Welcome back! The forum is definitely picking up again post NaNo and winter holidays

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, kais said:

Wait, how did you get a shirt???

Ah-ha!!! It's all down to the deep-seated connection between the Celtic races, the synergy between the Irish and the Scots and the magic of the fae that link our ancestors going back through the mists of time...

...and the internet. Mostly the internet, in fact ;)