Triple compounding?

ArmbarBanker

This may have been covered before but I could not find anything on it. Is it possible to triple compound?

What I am asking is this: if you are a twin born with Iron you can pull metal (allomancy) and store physical weight (feurchemy). Can you then stick yourself with an Iron Hemalurgic Spike and gain the ability to steal strength as well? In a sense becoming a triple compounder.

Hemalurgy doesn't work in that way.

You could of course Spike yourself with an Iron Spike...both for stealing from your soul (stupid idea by the way) or to gift yourself extra Strenght (not a great idea too).

But you will not gain some "new Power"

If you say you want to steal strength (like, physical strength, like done for a Koloss) i think it shouldn't matter if you do that to an allomancer or not. You're stealing a normal, human attribute. Everyone has it.

Of course you could steal via Hemalurgy the Iron Allomancy. This wouldn't effect your strength at all, and it wouldn't give you a triple compounding. It would make your allomantic pulls from burning Iron stronger, as you have this ability 2 times (from being a Twinborn and from Hemalurgy).

However, it wouldn't effect the compounding.

Well, see, Iron Hemalurgically steals human physical strength. This is what is used to create koloss. It would make you stronger physically, i.e. you could lift perhaps 150% of your normal weight when lifting weights. It doesn't affect your allomantic strength. However, steel does steal iron allomantic strength. This means you would be doubly strong in allomantic iron, but not exponentially stronger, like compounding does. Not sure how much of the series you've read, so Hero of Ages spoiler

Spoiler

Vin's earring is a hemalurgic spike granting her a boosted allomantic bronze. This is why she can pierce copperclouds unaided.

http://coppermind.net/wiki/Hemalurgy

16 minutes ago, Thunder_93 said:

However, it wouldn't effect the compounding.

For the sake of picking nits; It actually would effect your Compounding, just not in the way that @ArmbarBanker was thinking; it would make you would be more efficient at Compounding. Burning the metal would net you more power to store in your Metalmind.

13 minutes ago, Thunder_93 said:

@The Sovereign

Okay, probably it would effect Compounding. But would you really ge more power to store in your Metalmind? A stronger Allomancer can't get more power out of the same amount of metal, he just can burn it faster, right? So, he would be able to compound faster.

Yeah, "more power" isn't really a good way to say it, it's more that you would get the Investiture more efficiently. There is a WoB about it (it was something Rashek was doing) but I am having trouble finding it, I think it may have been a signed book. 

23 minutes ago, Thunder_93 said:

@The Sovereign

Okay, probably it would effect Compounding. But would you really ge more power to store in your Metalmind? A stronger Allomancer can't get more power out of the same amount of metal, he just can burn it faster, right? So, he would be able to compound faster.

8 minutes ago, The Sovereign said:

Yeah, "more power" isn't really a good way to say it, it's more that you would get the Investiture more efficiently. There is a WoB about it (it was something Rashek was doing) but I am having trouble finding it, I think it may have been a signed book. 

Courtesy of Moogle: from Reddit

[–]mooglefrooglian 4 points 1 year ago 

Does a more powerful Mistborn burn their metals more quickly, or do they use what they get more efficiently?

[–]mistborn[S] 11 points 1 year ago 

Metal burning speed is proportional to power withdrawn.

While this particular method may or may not work, I don't see a problem in general with triple compounding. I expect that the number of interesting ways to compound will increase factorially, or by (n-1)!, where n is the number of magic systems you have access to. Actually, taking regular double compounding, triple compounding, and multiple compounding, we would have (n-1)!+(n-2)!+(n-3)!+...

Hoid can probably do some pretty crazy things with this. 

Edited by ZenBossanova

Here's the biggest problem I see with "triple compounding" : It doesn't solve a problem that needs to be solved.

Regular Compounding solves the problem of it taking forever to store Feruchemical attributes, and possibly being bedridden for the duration(health/strength/speed)

Hemalurgic Spikes is what I (and CayJoBla) consider HemaAllo Compounding: Boosting Allomantic strength via Spikes. This lets you get more power out of your metals by burning through them faster(which is what Duralumin does by the way)

Triple Compounding would allow you to get more power out of your burned metals, which lets you get even more power out of burning Metalminds. All that this really accomplishes is taking even less time to fill your Feruchemical Stores. IIRC, using Miles an an example, normal compounding doesn't need all that much time to fill up, so making it even faster seems arbitrary.

I can definitely see this "triple compound" happening by someone who either augmented or gained one of those powers using a spike, but I see the faster compound being a helpful side effect of the spike rather than the purpose of it. If Miles had gotten a spike giving him A-Gold, he would triple compound by doing it normally, and he may or may not notice the increase, but the point is that he wouldn't care. It doesn't give him anything new that he can do, so what purpose does it serve?

Triple compounding tin maybe?

It's one of those weird ones where the powers line up perfectly well.

Allomantic tin increases senses, feruchemal tin stores individual senses, and a tin hemalurgic spike would steal human senses...

So, you would have the ability to make an infinite supply increased senses, the ability to burn uninfused tin to increase your senses, and you would be starting off with improved senses to begin with.

...on top of that...you would have a built in tin mind.

Edited by hoidhunter

• Chaos locked this topic