Hoid and Spren

Comby23

Question

Hey guys, has anybody asked Brandon about Hoid and whether or not any of the spren are paying attention to him or vice-versa? I can't find any relevant WoB's in my searching. I imagine Hoid, who seems to be collecting different magic abilities, would be highly interested in having a nahel bond, giving him access to surgebinding.

if anyone has a relevant WoB or information on this it would be highly appreciated :)

10 answers to this question

Well most Nahel bonds would be more restricting than helpful to Hoid, because to keep the bond intact he would need to live by a certain moral code that might not fit with his goals.  The only known exception to this rule is bonding a cryptic, which requires the telling of truths instead of oaths.  Another problem for Hoid is that it is very hard to take a spren off planet, and while he could probably find a hack it might not be worth his trouble.

Also, there are other ways to access surgebinding without having a Nahel bond. I would guess Hoid would pursue those avenues before attempting to make a commitment like forging a Nahel bond.  

Hey! Thanks a lot for those responses, both very helpful. I didn't really consider the restrictive nature of the nahel bond (probably should have!). Makes a lot of sense. 

I think the reverse idea is interesting, if some spren do identify with Hoid and what that could mean. Probably nothing, but doesn't stop me wondering about the concept. 

Youre definitely right about easier methods of obtaining surgebinding. I look forward to seeing how Hoid approaches this, especially after Brandon said his role will grow in the series.

Anyway, thanks for answering guys, I really appreciate the ideas and opinions on the subject :) 

1 hour ago, Comby23 said:

I think the reverse idea is interesting, if some spren do identify with Hoid and what that could mean. Probably nothing, but doesn't stop me wondering about the concept. 

This is actually really interesting! What would hoid do if some spren intiated the process of bonding with him? Is he cruel/hard enough that he would abandon the spren for his purposes? ( I know he said he ewill destroy the world to get what he wants, but still.) Or will he rather just find a way to free the spren from roshar and allow it to travel everywhere with him?

while I don't want this to be a significant story arc for hoid, I would still be interested in reading about this.

It would make for an amusing interlude. 

I could just imagine Hoid looking at this spren like... "Oh no, why are you doing this?" (Except with more of the Hoid eloquence we love). 

In fact I'd be curious to see if any of the Radiant Orders aligned with Hoid's views on the world... but maybe that's the topic for a theory rather than just a question. 

7 hours ago, Comby23 said:

In fact I'd be curious to see if any of the Radiant Orders aligned with Hoid's views on the world... but maybe that's the topic for a theory rather than just a question. 

By all means make it a theory. Even if you don't have much to work with at the start, several good discussions have started from a simple "do you think that..." post

But in the Coppermind Wiki under Hoid, it says that he has the ability to Lightweave. Does this come by an Honorblade (which I'm pretty sure isn't true) or by some other means?

2 minutes ago, Shadows4Silence said:

But in the Coppermind Wiki under Hoid, it says that he has the ability to Lightweave. Does this come by an Honorblade (which I'm pretty sure isn't true) or by some other means?

He's got the Yolish Variant. Khriss brings it up in the WoR Ars Arcanum.