Supanova, Australia, June 2017

Darkness

Brandon commented on a couple of these on Reddit:

Just a warning: as always, some of these were heard wrong by me, or by the person recording, or were mixed up during questioning.

For example, the one referencing the first 11 chapters was me talking about the first book, not the third. The question about Ivory also wasn't quite recorded correctly.

1 hour ago, Torrieltar said:

I am glad he made those comments. The WoB about the 11 first chapters being all around the place truly got me discouraged as I felt Oathbringer has to start strong and to focus on where we left our characters. I honestly did not fancy starting reading it only to find out I have to read the equivalent of one interlude before getting to the real stuff. I am really happy he corrected this one and yeah, it makes sense for WoK. A first book can be allowed to wander within the first few chapters.

I also thought it was interesting he warned us about not putting too much faith into WoB...

On 18/06/2017 at 0:14 AM, maxal said:

I take this one as "something bad will happen to Dalinar, but not necessarily death.

It'll be interesting to see what it might be, given that being a KR I assume he will also be practically un-killable with stormlight healing powers.

1 hour ago, axcellence said:

It'll be interesting to see what it might be, given that being a KR I assume he will also be practically un-killable with stormlight healing powers.

Something bad doesn't mean him dying or getting injured, it might mean he will cause one of his sons, probably Adolin, to get severely injured and it will be painful for him. Or it may be he will remember his wife and realize he's the one who killed her (I don't know, I am just theorizing). Or maybe it is Navani who dies, I can't say, but Brandon saying Oathbringer will be painful for those loving Dalinar does not mean death nor anything nefarious happening to his character.

1 hour ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

First time I read that comment I assumed it meant readers that love Dalinar would have many of their illusions about him shattered. What is worse than seeing your heroes die? Seeing your heroes are not so heroic.

Agreed. I think that Dalinar's history is going to be far darker than expected. Having all memories and emotions tied to his wife expunged may mean that relationship was nothing like we've been lead to believe.

Between the fact that we know without question that Dalinar was a different man 6 years ago, and the missing memories, there's plenty of reasons to think that the "pain" may be on the part of the reader, and not Dalinar. 

8 hours ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

First time I read that comment I assumed it meant readers that love Dalinar would have many of their illusions about him shattered. What is worse than seeing your heroes die? Seeing your heroes are not so heroic.

Oh this is a good interpretation, much better than my own. I was thinking on stuff which would make Dalinar hurt and thus have sympathetic readers ache for him, but this is much better. Having read the The Thrill, I can confirmed the flashback sequences will change how many readers view Dalinar. A lot of readers definitely love Dalinar's character and hold him in high esteem, thinking him the greatest of man: this often comes back within Adolin related discussions, how Adolin is somewhat inferior to his morally and more honorable father. I cannot wait for those same readers to read Oathbringer and see how the generally accepted view of Dalinar having been a former warlord, brutal, but fair, honest and well-intended is actually not as accurate as they would prefer.

6 hours ago, Calderis said:

Agreed. I think that Dalinar's history is going to be far darker than expected. Having all memories and emotions tied to his wife expunged may mean that relationship was nothing like we've been lead to believe.

Between the fact that we know without question that Dalinar was a different man 6 years ago, and the missing memories, there's plenty of reasons to think that the "pain" may be on the part of the reader, and not Dalinar. 

The impression we were given of Dalinar's relationship with his wife do not hold the road within the first flashbacks I have read. I would say there is a lot we, the readers, have taken for granted within this sordid story which will come to light within the next book. I still have no idea how it will ultimately unfold, but what I have read of it isn't what I expected, not at all.

On 05/07/2017 at 7:53 AM, WeiryWriter said:

@Darkness Would you mind posting the audio you have from the Sydney event, if it isn't too much trouble?

I'll try to get that up, but I'm not very hopeful. I don't have a way to connect my phone to my laptop, and the file is too big to transfer directly. I am completely sure about the accuracy of my transcript though... it's possible he just couldn't remember at the time what Ivory was up to, or misheard the question. I'll see what I can do about audio though. If I do figure it out, I'll edit it into this post.

1 minute ago, Darkness said:

I'll try to get that up, but I'm not very hopeful. I don't have a way to connect my phone to my laptop, and the file is too big to transfer directly. I am completely sure about the accuracy of my transcript though... it's possible he just couldn't remember at the time what Ivory was up to, or misheard the question. I'll see what I can do about audio though. If I do figure it out, I'll edit it into this post.

If you've got an iPhone I just figured out a nice trick: from the Voice Memos app you can choose the Google Drive app (if you have it installed) as a "Sharing" destination, and move files around that way. I don't believe it's size-limited.

Just now, Kurkistan said:

If you've got an iPhone I just figured out a nice trick: from the Voice Memos app you can choose the Google Drive app (if you have it installed) as a "Sharing" destination, and move files around that way. I don't believe it's size-limited.

I wish :P no, I have a crappy Nokia Lumia 635