Would you rather be a mistborn, a surgebinder or a full shardbearer?

Zmaray

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely a Surgebinder, and if I could choose which order, windrunner. I actually dream about flying quite a lot. And if I was a windrunner, I would be a full shardbearer.

Atium really isn't that great. Reckoners kinda proved that. I'm not denying its usefulness, but it gets kinda blown out of proportion. "I have atium, I am god!"

Full shardbearer is kinda redundant, since a surgebinder will eventually have both plate and blade at higher functioning level than a regular shardbearer.

As for the choice, i'd take mistborn. 16 powers is better than 2. Plus, you are flaring the wrong emotion. Flare confusion and fear = win. Toss in some nerves... Even if you have to get through Plate with a duralumin burn, it would still be worth it to throw them off for an instant and get inside their guard. Mistborn are simply more powerful.

Honestly though, I'll take little rods of metal over the other options any day. I'll just steal whatever you guys have while you sleep :ph34r:

Okay, so after reading Stormlight, I'm pretty sure I'd want to be a surgebinder, preferably a windrunner or edgedancer. Though, if I could hack the magic, I'd prefer to be a fullborn surgebinder that could store Stormlight in a nicrosilmind.

• 3 months later...

I would pick mistborn. I really like surges, shard plates and blades but they are each limited in some way. Surges can bend the laws of physics to the users whim but only if they have stormlight, which will disappear if the highstorms stop for some reason. And they are limited in how much each can do; for instance gravitation can only change a little portion of gravity, not crush mountains. Shards, on the other hand, have only one purpose, to kill and destroy. Not a lot of options while using them in everyday life. Mistborn also have limits but the strengths usually over shine them, and there are an abundance of allomantic materials (metal) to perform a variety of powers that can help you in a fight, make negotiations, and many other occupations to get through life on a Cosmere planet.

Mistborn because allomancy rocks.  The most fascinating part about the system is how similar it is too actual science.  You have to discover exactly what the limits and capabilities of each metal as well as how they work in unison.  Discovery is central to allomancy and feruchemy, even though we know a lot about it already.  There's always another secret.

Surgebinding, on the other hand, feels more spelled out.  Each surgebinding has only 2 or 3 specific ways it can be used.  For example, the Surge of Gravitation allows you to use only either a Basic Lashing, Reverse lashing or a full lashing.  Although these abilities can have interesting applications to them, we know precisely what they can do and their doesn't appear to be any secrets about the abilities.  Plus, as others have pointed out, becoming a surgebinder binds you to your oaths.

1 hour ago, ILuvHats said:

Surgebinding, on the other hand, feels more spelled out.  Each surgebinding has only 2 or 3 specific ways it can be used.  For example, the Surge of Gravitation allows you to use only either a Basic Lashing, Reverse lashing or a full lashing.  Although these abilities can have interesting applications to them, we know precisely what they can do and their doesn't appear to be any secrets about the abilities.  Plus, as others have pointed out, becoming a surgebinder binds you to your oaths.

I picked Mistborn for versatility.

The surges... I think the surges are vastly more complicated than we've been shown. The difference is the level of knowledge of the world. 

In Mistborn, even at the start, Allomancy has been going strong for 1000 years. They've explored the things you can do with it, and they still haven't figured everything out. 

In Stormlight... The surgebinders are the first in 2000+ years and no one has any idea what they're doing. The most experienced person with their abilities at the start is Szeth, and his need of 10 heartbeats to summon his Blade is evidence of how little he knows. 

Windrunners for example have gravitation, which the most we've seen of its possibilities is altered directional pull of self or others, and partial lashings to change weight or create an balance in order to float. 

For adhesion we've only seen the stick things together bit. But adhesion is the surge of atmospheric pressure. I think that sticking things together is creating a layer of hard vacuum. Atmospheric pressure though should also be used to literally create wind. Kaladin should be able to knock people to the ground from a distance, or create a bubble of air around himself and fly into space. 

There's plenty about the surges we don't know yet. 

mistborn have too much versatility. Plus the metallic arts naturally integrate better into modern life. Practically everything has metal now to be pushed. Emotional Allomancy is insanely useful and each metal is a lot more commonplace (even in the cosmere) than stormlight.

It's not an option but is in the same Tier, so I say Feruchemist.

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

For adhesion we've only seen the stick things together bit. But adhesion is the surge of atmospheric pressure. I think that sticking things together is creating a layer of hard vacuum. Atmospheric pressure though should also be used to literally create wind. Kaladin should be able to knock people to the ground from a distance, or create a bubble of air around himself and fly into space. 

I strongly disagree with this for what we saw about the Surges, but I can not prove anything

16 minutes ago, Fourth Of The Night said:

Definitely Surgebinder, probably an Edgedancer. I mostly want the Surgebinding to heal all the bullcrap that is wrong with my body, though manipulating friction would be pretty fun!

Gold Feruchemy could do that too

3 hours ago, Yata said:

Gold Feruchemy could do that too

Barring shenanigans with Compounding or jailbroken metalminds, he wouldn't be able to attain a greater level of health than he already has (because he'd need to put health in to get health out).  Stormlight healing has no such constraint.  

20 minutes ago, Landis963 said:

Barring shenanigans with Compounding or jailbroken metalminds, he wouldn't be able to attain a greater level of health than he already has (because he'd need to put health in to get health out).  Stormlight healing has no such constraint.  

She! :3 And yeah, this was what I was thinking.

18 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

For example, the Surge of Gravitation allows you to use only either a Basic Lashing, Reverse Lashing or a Full Lashing.  Although these abilities can have interesting applications to them, we know precisely what they can do and their doesn't appear to be any secrets about the abilities.

People know that Mistborn can push/pull on metal. To prevent them from having an advantage, you try to get rid of metal objects, or use aluminum. A Windrunner can lash literally anything around them, including people. Szeth wrecks fools for a reason.

Just because a power is very well defined doesn't automatically mean it's easier to defend against. Mistborn and Windrunners can use many objects in their environment, and that versatility makes it harder to defend against even if you know what the power can do. A Basic Lashing is more versatile than Steelpushing/Ironpulling in some respects, and less versatile in others. I'd consider the powers fairly comparable in terms of difficulty to defend against since you can't pull lashed items back to you, but you aren't limited by metal.

And sometimes future inventions could make powers harder to defend against. For example, once Awakeners learn about the wonder of spray paint...

I would choose an iron twinborn. Most people might call me crazy, and it wasn't one of the original options, but meh. Iron twinborn actually have better aerial mobility than any other power we've seen. The ability to change your mass let's you pull off something similar to Vin's horseshoe wheel with a single item with nothing touching the ground. Iron feruchemy is also really good at letting you jump really high. Like, escape velocity kinds of jumps. And a massive tap combined with a tackle is scary. Scarier than Kal's multi-lashing into that shardbearer in the disadvantaged duel, since you can make it a lot stronger at much simpler demand. The ability to compound also makes it absurdly easy to pull off some off the more spectacular feats possible that would normally drain someone like Wax dry. I feel like feruchemical iron is very underrated by the community.

Also, threads like these have always been pretty silly. At least they aren't the infinitely long 'who wins in a fight' threads...

If there was a reliable source of Stormlight then I would probably take Elsecaller. Being able to soulcast is insanely powerful. Being able to transport myself to the CR and travel between worlds? Whoa.

If there is no reliable source of Stormlight then Mistborn. Then, move to New York, buy a realistic Spiderman costume, and... shenanigans haha