Droughtbringer, stop saying things I'd been planning on saying!

On that matter, what's up with this marrying everyone is talking about. I can't find anything about it in the rules.

Anyway, there is one point of advice I'd like to share with regards to the vote manipulation powers. I've often seen the advice given to use those powers on an inconsequential vote C1 or C2. However, I'd recommend not announcing yourself that way, and instead only using the power when you believe its needed. It is my experience that for the elims, knowing how many vote manip powers are out there is the first step to knowing who they are, and knowing who they are is the first step to getting them killed, or manipulating them to vote the way you want.

@Bridge Boy. Could you tell me how exactly your faction indicator in the GM PM was spelled, as well as the colour? Maybe it's just me, but I get suspicious when someone tries to say "Don't worry, I'm a villager" as his first post in the game.

Anyway, I might try to RP a bit later, but I haven't read Alcatraz yet, so we'll see how that goes.

3 minutes ago, randuir said:

what's up with this marrying everyone is talking about. I can't find anything about it in the rules.

Under Smedry talents:

Only one of each Smedry exists at the beginning of the game, but they can propose to a player, and if that player accepts, the other player will receive an identical copy of the talent. Divorce and Polygamy are illegal.

Jemma sat in her favorite alcove of the library with her nose buried deep in a good book. She had often had people get angry at her for loving the novels from the Hushlands. They were always telling her that she would end up brainwashed...or something stupid like that. Did you get brainwashed when you watched a good movie? Or read a fiction novel from the freeworld? Of course not. Such nonsense. Besides if anyone ever bothered her about it too much, she could always just use the excuse that she was doing research on the Librarian's lies, so that she could fit in better if she was ever chosen to infiltrate the Hushlands.

She glanced over her book at a very loud crashing noise, and glared at the dinosaur who had just entered the library. Dinosaurs were such a nuisance sometimes. She shook her head, and went back to enjoying her book.

Edited by BrightnessRadiant

Ah, thanks. I'd looked for the word 'marry', so I'd missed that part.

8 hours ago, Bridge Boy said:

I do agree with a day 1 lynch as well. Killing people is always helpful!

In a completely platonic non-evil way, of course.

But at the same time, I don't want to be the guy who his first word of the game is a vote. Which I almost did. And I actually did in a game once. I think I died in the second cycle on that one.

Is it? One sec.

*Goes and actually reads the rules*

Looks like it's Free-Worlder. Ups. :P

P.S. When I say "read the rules," I mean skim them for the proper term. I haven't actually read them yet. That's a librarian thing to do. And squirrels can't read. Obviously.

Edit: Apologies for the double post. I thought the first one was between Drought and Yitzi. Not intentional, and I'll try to keep from repeating it.

Why would you need to read the rules to determine this? Your faction should be right at the top of your GM PM. No rules-reading required to get that correct. If you are indeed village, of course.

Edited by randuir

@Bridge Boy i have to agree with Randuir that it did look odd. did an Elim just make a mistake on the first cycle? :o

I will be pretty inactive for around 14 hours cuz i'm staying at my sister's house and won't be getting on much...i should be home after that time frame though so i will be back then...although i might pop in and out if i get a chance. I will do my best to get on before the cycle ends though!

Edited by BrightnessRadiant

4 hours ago, Ecthelion III said:

As a very contradictory man, I find it is my duty to go completely against what the GM says. Sabanta advises standing back and observing, so by all means, let's immediately rush in and kill Magestar unless we hear from him!

Please don't. :P  I'm most certainly here, and am doing my best to keep up. :P 

I am actually rather suspicious of Bridge Boy.  His statement at the beginning didn't make a lot of sense for anyone to say, let alone a villager.  Why would a villager have to read the rules to find out the proper term for a villager?  It just doesn't make sense to me.  It almost looks like an Elim trying to seem suspicious.  The mistakes almost seem too obvious?  I'm kinda confused now.  Hmph.

Aside from that...  I think I pretty much agree with most of the other things that have been said?  I do think it makes sense to have Smedrys marry regulars, just to try and spread around the abilities.  Originally I was going to suggest inter-marriage between Smedrys, but I suppose that would be rather selfish. :P 

I'm probably not going to RP this game.  I don't like RPing in QF's.

Edited by Magestar

10 hours ago, DroughtBringer said:

We can't just lynch everyone at once...there is way too much librarian control that can be put into place to stop us from actually achieving what we want with that. It could end really, really badly,

But it would be really, really fun for sure. :P Also, not all librarians are evil. If that were the case, the books series would be called "Alcatraz and the Librarians" rather than "Alcatraz and the Evil Librarians" right? Of course, I could be missing something terribly important that says otherwise, and that's definitely possible, considering I'm just an ignorant girl who doesn't know anything about this stuff. ;)

4 hours ago, Ecthelion III said:

The strategy discussion for this game sounds so weird out of context... "let's...plan who to marry, then get married fast." :P

As a very contradictory man, I find it is my duty to go completely against what the GM says. Sabanta advises standing back and observing, so by all means, let's immediately rush in and kill Magestar unless we hear from him!

Well, I had quoted this because I was gonna vote on Mage as well, because bandwagoning D1 always gets some nice reactions, but now he's responded, so I don't think I should. :(

2 hours ago, queensteph said:

How do we justify D1 lynches in a QF? Basically you can vote on anyone randomly and it doesn't matter? :P How scary.

Yup. Go for it. Voting is always good, even when it's not.

1 hour ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

@Bridge Boy i have to agree with Randuir that it did look odd. did an Elim just make a mistake on the first cycle? :o

I will be pretty inactive for around 14 hours cuz i'm staying at my sister's house and won't be getting on much...i should be home after that time frame though so i will be back then...although i might pop in and out if i get a chance. I will do my best to get on before the cycle ends though!

It's happened before. Probably. Best way to find out if it happened this time is to vote. :P

On a more serious note, I'm actually in agreement with Mage on this one. I'm kind of just left confused by what BB was saying at the start of the game. I don't really have any questions to ask BB that haven't already been asked, but I'll add my vote to him alongside Mage since he's the best suspect I can see. Depending on his responses, I may move my vote somewhere else, but I am a big supporter or Day 1 lynches and the kickstart to discussion they provide, so I'd like to lynch someone(I'm not a big fan of lynching an inactive C1 though, just to be clear).

Also, to add to what Hero mentioned, if someone is inactive/quiet, one way to get them more involved is to PM them. Sometimes it takes revealing your role to them to get them to talk much or trust you enough to confide in you about what they're thinking, but that's a small price to pay to get their thoughts on the game, IMO.

Jack looked around, and somehow his little study (not quite a library, but possibly the closest thing to one in Nalhalla now that it had computers and wi-fi) had filled with people.  This room's going to take a bit of thinking anyway, maybe I'll get up and wander around.  Apparently, a dinosaur was asking to eat someone.  "I think he minds if you eat him."  He turned to the prospective eat-ee.  "Am I correct?"  @OrlokTsubodai now's your chance to not be eaten.

37 minutes ago, TheMightyLopen said:

Also, to add to what Hero mentioned, if someone is inactive/quiet, one way to get them more involved is to PM them. Sometimes it takes revealing your role to them to get them to talk much or trust you enough to confide in you about what they're thinking, but that's a small price to pay to get their thoughts on the game, IMO.

So what you're basically saying here is that there is a very specific person who's not going to be too active, and you'd like us to all tell him about our (lack of) role? :P

Anyway, we're about halfway through the cycle, so I might as well tag those who haven't posted (or been tagged) yet. @Seonid, @cloudjumper, @Ornstein, @Sart, @_Stick_, @Elbereth (I know you mentioned not being active for most of this cycle, but I prefer to be complete), @Cluny the Scourge.

Also, bridge Boy. I've outlined the reasons above If he does provide a satisfactory answer to the suspicions leveled against him, I'll put my vote elsewhere.

Vote tally:

Magestar(1): Ecthelion

Orlok(1): Herowannabe

Bridge Boy(3): Mage, Lopen, Randuir

Apologies, all. I've had a busy day with work, and the cycle started at midnight my time.

I'll look at Bridgeboy, and indeed the rest of the game properly, as soon as I have time. At a glance, though, I'm wary that there are parallels with the Ripple Debacle. As I recall, Rippleglyf mixed up the names of the village and eliminator teams, and was lynched for it, as a villager. That's not to say the present situation is the same - I haven't had time to look at it properly, but newer players should be aware that this sort of mistake can be made without being alignment indicative.

11 minutes ago, randuir said:

So what you're basically saying here is that there is a very specific person who's not going to be too active, and you'd like us to all tell him about our (lack of) role? :P

Haha. :P Actually, I just used roleclaiming as the example since it's the most common info to trade. It can really be any info. I'm sure he'd appreciate it...whoever he is. ;) (Of course, I also enjoy getting information and often do roleclaim trades, so feel free to PM me if you want to give me info. :ph34r: Normally I make a bunch of PM's myself to get the info, but the way this game works, I'm pretty limited in how many players I can PM.)

1 minute ago, OrlokTsubodai said:

Apologies, all. I've had a busy day with work, and the cycle started at midnight my time.

I'll look at Bridgeboy, and indeed the rest of the game properly, as soon as I have time. At a glance, though, I'm wary that there are parallels with the Ripple Debacle. As I recall, Rippleglyf mixed up the names of the village and eliminator teams, and was lynched for it, as a villager. That's not to say the present situation is the same - I haven't had time to look at it properly, but newer players should be aware that this sort of mistake can be made without being alignment indicative.

Fair point, but Ripple was only mentioning the elims as a passing thought. Bridge Boy mentioned them as if he'd just looked at his GM PM, considering it was only like, 5 minutes after the thread was posted...

And it's not so much that he mixed up the names, as that he mixed up the names while claiming which one he was.  So that could just be a mixup like Rippleglyf's...but it could also be a Freudian slip, and it's not like we've got any stronger indications.

6 hours ago, randuir said:

@Bridge Boy. Could you tell me how exactly your faction indicator in the GM PM was spelled, as well as the colour? 

Putting this in blue because it represent my out of game opinion, unrelated to my role/alignment for this game, but I feel that asking someone to refer specific information from their GM PM like this is on the edges of breaking the spirit of the game. We could ask the same thing of everyone, trying to find someone who slips up by not posting the exact phrasing that is used in someone else's GM PM but that doesn't sound particularly fun to me. @Bridge Boy I for one would not hold it against you in the slightest if you chose to simply say "in an effort to keep to the spirit of the games, I chose not to reveal that information."  

That being said, I also have no problem with anybody suspecting or lynching Bridgeboy based on what he has posted so far or what he chooses to post in the future. It IS rather suspicious behavior. ;)

6 hours ago, queensteph said:

Ug, ADULTS today don't appreciate technological advances......Ok seriously she was sidetracked again. She had just gained control over her thoughts when a 

Micropachycephalosaurus....... broke the door and was now trying to eat someone?!  Seriously today was weird and it wasn't her fault.

Aren't Micropachy's herbivore's?? She couldn't remember, she had fallen asleep in that class.

Herb noticed the shocked look on the face of the girl sitting quietly in the corner with a laptop on her lap. "Ah, I see you have been mislead by librarian propaganda, my dear. You see, while the librarians make a habit of stealing the bones of my cousin dinosaurs, inflating them to outrageous proportions, and then burying them in the ground as a means of misdirection and spreading false knowledge, in the case of my noble species they have chosen to do just the opposite. They shrink the bones of Micropachycephalosaurs to tiny sizes and try to make us out as being a small, unthreatening species. I can assure you that we are quite threatening and dangerous, and I am actually on the smaller side for one of my species. In short, the reputation that the Librarians have given to other dinosaurs as being large, vicious meat-eating machines? Well we Micropachycephalosaurs actually deserve that reputation."

Herb licked his lips and turned to Orlok, still gripped in his claws.

3 hours ago, Yitzi2 said:

Jack looked around, and somehow his little study (not quite a library, but possibly the closest thing to one in Nalhalla now that it had computers and wi-fi) had filled with people.  This room's going to take a bit of thinking anyway, maybe I'll get up and wander around.  Apparently, a dinosaur was asking to eat someone.  "I think he minds if you eat him."  He turned to the prospective eat-ee.  "Am I correct?"  @OrlokTsubodai now's your chance to not be eaten.

2 hours ago, OrlokTsubodai said:

Herb blinked, looking between Jack and Orlok. Orlok was certainly squirming about and trying his best to participate in the conversation below, but he hadn't actually acknowledged that he was about to be eaten. There was none of the normal screaming and flailing that usually accompanied such an event.

"Right-o, sorry about that chap!" Herb said, setting Orlok gently on the ground. 

Herb looked around for someone else to eat. His gaze fell on Shem Smedry (Seonid), quietly working in a corner by himself. He looked quite tasty.

Edited by Herowannabe
formatting. Working with multiple quote boxes while on Mobile is such a pain. Also, typos.

Due to health reasons, my activity this game will be lowered substantially from recent games. I will endeavour to participate as much as I can, but am conscious that I need to focus on regaining my health.

Edited by OrlokTsubodai

1 hour ago, Herowannabe said:

Putting this in blue because it represent my out of game opinion, unrelated to my role/alignment for this game, but I feel that asking someone to refer specific information from their GM PM like this is on the edges of breaking the spirit of the game. We could ask the same thing of everyone, trying to find someone who slips up by not posting the exact phrasing that is used in someone else's GM PM but that doesn't sound particularly fun to me. @Bridge Boy I for one would not hold it against you in the slightest if you chose to simply say "in an effort to keep to the spirit of the games, I chose not to reveal that information."  

Yeah, you're right, I shouldn't have asked that that way. It was the whole "Don't worry guys, I'm village" that made me wonder whether he was deliberately trying to invoke the feel of a GM PM, which led me to asking that question. @Bridge Boy, feel free to ignore that particular request.

Edited by randuir

Wow. Everyone hates me all of a sudden.

It's Beautiful! I'm gonna tear up, guys.

Honestly yes, the coloring was a mistake. I looked at the rules because I'd forgotten it said my faction at the top of the PM, which I already had open. I had been chatting with Joe over some stuff previously as well, so I would have had to scroll up and that's just so hard. (You know, as opposed to opening a new tab and navigating to the QF23 page from there.)

So yeah, I'm totally innocent. I have done nothing wrong. Except for maybe have killed a spider. Does that count?

I think that Yitzi was contributing quite a bit at the beginning, so I'm not too worried about that. I am somewhat leery of... people. (I literally sat here for 5 minutes trying to think of suspicions. I couldn't think of any solid ones.)

But I do want to help kill someone as well... decisions, decisions.

Lopen seemed rather helpful. Maybe too helpful... (Also if nobody else votes for him, which seems unlikely, then I haven't helped kill someone.) I will admit that part of the reason as well is that he hopped on the bandwagon against me, far enough that it doesn't seem like he started it, but close enough to it so it doesn't seem like he's trying to sneak a vote on the kill at the last second. I'm probably biased though.

IPN: (Innocent Person Note) Due to a writing conference in the next few days, I will be inactive for the rest of the day, and probably will only be able to post once on Friday morning and once on Saturday morning.

--Okay, got a little time to post--

So the villagers most probably wont marry this cycle, right? Because we don't want to risk marrying an elim. So whoever does marry this cycle, I'd be pretty confident of their elim...ness. As evil Smedrys would want to share their abilities with their teammates as soon as possible.

@A Joe in the Bush how will marriages be announced? Like will it name the players or just a general announcement stating that a marriage took place? I probably missed it in the rules. Though I suspect it's the latter -specifying the players' name would make this easy :-P 

Am I correct in assuming there are 4 elims? Also, I didn't know they have a one-time use conversion power until I reread the rules just now >> 

Well, I'm not sure what to take from that response. On the one hand, I feel like an eliminator would try to come up with a more convincing case on someone else, but on the other, he's voting on me, which I don't like(retaliation votes are meh, though I admit to having bandwagoned. I think this is the most informative lynch we've got).

I'm keeping my vote where it is. I'll likely not be on again this Cycle.

hmmm suspicions....it's so hard to figure anything right on D1 but i think a lynch is the way to go cuz with a quick fix there isn't much time, right? This is my first QF! yay! i've officially been in one of each game now! :P I am suspicious of Bridge Boy but it could have been an honest mistake as he said...i would feel bad to lynch a villager on the first day just for that ....there isn't much else to go on though...i will think about it and post again later!

I'm here. And, while I'm happily married IRL, Shem Smedry - on the other hand - is an eligible bachelor. Also, he's too caught up in his research to actually pay any attention to prospective marriage candidates, but I'm certain that he wouldn't mind being married. Once he actually noticed. Probably.

I have a tendency to work quietly, on my own, for the early parts of a game. As has been well established, my particular skills are of most use towards the end of the game, once there are actual patterns for me to start looking at and working with.

On the Bridge Boy subject, though, there's not much I have to say. It's an odd thing to write, and an even odder thing to lynch over. The Ripple Effect is still too recent in my mind for me to be willing to lynch off of it, though. I also find Stick's thoughts on marriage and who might be involved in it to be very odd - why would eliminators be much more likely to marry than villagers? Sure, any Smedry's among them would want to spread their talents out among their peers, but doing so exposes them to public scrutiny in a way that might not be the case otherwise.

And it certainly brings suspicion on their marriage partner if/when they get lynched. Married eliminators are like getting two for the price of one.

On the other hand, I was about to suggest that everyone or nearly everyone get married this cycle, as it would give cover for our Smedry's who want to pass talents around. However, on further reflection, that would also give cover to any potential Eliminator Smedry's, letting them double up on talents with less fear of exposure.

I also think that we haven't had enough discussion on the subject of marriages. I'd like to hear other folks' thoughts on the matter.