Khriss's **sh spoiler** is from Sel

Farnsworth

Just to put a warning here, there are many SH spoilers! But it encompassed the whole Cosmere so I put it here.

Khriss had a gun in Secret History. Chronologically, the only books before Mistborn Era 1 were White Sand, Elantris, and the Emperor's Soul, so it's not like on First of the Sun where the Ones Above are hanging out, making vastly more advanced technology. I'm going to assume that Cadmium and Bendalloy bubbles are the closest the cosmere will get to time travel, since if there was significant time travel I feel like somebody would have gone back and stopped the Shattering. That leaves a few options as to where she got her gun.

1: She made it herself.

This is very unlikely. Khriss is quite smart, but I find the idea that she could make her own gun years (centuries?) before the rest of the planet nearly impossible. 

2: It's from Yolen.

Khriss has never been to Yolen, and complains about not knowing where it is. While she could have been given it by a Yolenian, I doubt she would let a Yolenian pass through her fingers without figuring out the location of the planet. 

3: It's from Vax.

This is certainly a possibility. We honestly know nothing about it, so maybe.

4: It's from the third continent in Elantris

I'm pretty sure this is the case, since I think that the Ire is from this continent. We know that the Ire is from Elantris, and I don't think that Elantrian technology from Areleon and the Rose empire will have advanced to the level of the Ire in the short time between Elantris and Mistborn Era 1. So the only explanation for the Ire is that that they exist on the third continent mentioned in AU. If that is the case, then this third continent has the highest technology at that time period in the Cosmere. For example, they have that glowing thing that Kelseir steals from them. While they are not seen carrying guns, it could be because they are expensive and valuable at the time. The third continent doesn't have to be that advanced. However, Khriss could have gone to that continent and gotten her gun.

TL;DR: Khriss's gun is from the third continent on Sel

Thoughts?

Not sure how much I can say here, without being in the White Sand prose section. Lets just say that Darkside is technologically more advanced and has guns. There are reasons why progress stopped after White Sand (I think they are hinted at in SH).

White Sand features a young Khriss before she became a worldhopper, so all her possessions should be from Taldain at that point.

Like the others already said. Taldain (a portion of It to be more precise) had already the technology level to make firearms thousand of years before Mistborn (White Sand) so Khriss taken hers from homeland or more probably She had a good knowledge to the inner work to make one herself or to explain the principles to a crafter skilled enough to build It.

We have also to assume the worldhopper comunity took the best of many Shardworlds' tech so guns are probably common among them

Edited by Yata

I should have put in a Taldain refrence. My bad! 

The reason I don't think Taldain is because Khriss was complaining about how Autonomy's isolation policy made it hard for her to get back. So If Autonomy wouldn't let her back, I don't think it would let her leave with anything with her.

Khriss is a scholar so she could easily have left with the knowledge of how to make guns and constructed the one we see in Secret History after the fact. But we don't know when Autonomy isolated Taldain or how it's done so it's entirely possible that she brought a gun with her when she left and Autonomy either couldn't or didn't do anything to stop her. There's also the fact that Autonomy has no problem messing around on other worlds (Bavadin just seems to want to keep outside influences away from Taldain) and so might not care about Khriss taking technology offworld even if she had the power to enforce such an interdiction.

7 hours ago, Figberts said:

I should have put in a Taldain refrence. My bad! 

The reason I don't think Taldain is because Khriss was complaining about how Autonomy's isolation policy made it hard for her to get back. So If Autonomy wouldn't let her back, I don't think it would let her leave with anything with her.

I would like to point out that Khriss' Arcanum lecture says that Autonomy's isolationist policy was a recent change. It just makes a lot more sense that she brought one with her.

On 4/23/2017 at 10:06 PM, Spoolofwhool said:

Why isn't "Khriss brought the gun from Taldain" an option considering there are guns on Taldain when she was on it in White Sand? Baon in her entourage was even carrying one at that point.

I'm pretty sure Baon has two pistols and the graphic novel shows that at least some of the Darksiders on Dayside have access to pistols.

On 2017-5-3 at 1:05 AM, Ecthelion III said:

Baon is already proven to be a worldhopper which kind of defeats the point of drawing that comparison.

We have no idea whether he's a worldhopper at the time of White Sand. As far as I know there is nothing to suggest that he is. Furthermore, how everyone else around him acts when they see his pistols makes it fairly likely that they know what they are, therefore not making it some artifact of another world he brought. 

12 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

We have no idea whether he's a worldhopper at the time of White Sand. As far as I know there is nothing to suggest that he is. Furthermore, how everyone else around him acts when they see his pistols makes it fairly likely that they know what they are, therefore not making it some artifact of another world he brought. 

I read White Sand just yesterday so It's fresh in my mind.

Khriss explicity says the guns is a technology developed on Darkside in the last century. So we know Taldain could offer guns at White Sand's timeframe (really early in the published works' timeline)

Edited by Yata

• Chaos locked this topic