White Sand board unpassworded

Chaos

Hey all,

In Brandon's most recent newsletter he sent out a link where anyone can download the prose White Sand. Therefore I am removing the password on the White Sand board, as most anyone can access it now.

I'm uncertain whether I'm allowed to post a link to that White Sand manuscript; we'll investigate and post it if we can.

Let me know if you have ideas on how to operate the the graphic novel/prose divisions. I'm not sure how well I like this implementation honestly.

So I thought I'd signed up for the newsletter and apparently never confirmed my subscription. AU showed me that of the two formats, storming damnation do I want the prose one. Now I'm off to search for that link since I failed and don't have the newsletter. Go me. 

6 minutes ago, Calderis said:

So I thought I'd signed up for the newsletter and apparently never confirmed my subscription. AU showed me that of the two formats, storming damnation do I want the prose one. Now I'm off to search for that link since I failed and don't have the newsletter. Go me. 

If you sign up for the newsletter now, you should get sent a copy of the most recent email automatically. Which is the one with the prose in it. 

Thank you. 

Edit: so I signed up, got the newsletter and can see the link. But clicking it does nothing. 

When I copy the URL from the link, I get this: x-thread://-290460770/1565522302459441446#m_3255356813777869899_EuroTour

So... No link for me? 

Edited by Calderis

4 hours ago, Calderis said:

Thank you. 

Edit: so I signed up, got the newsletter and can see the link. But clicking it does nothing. 

When I copy the URL from the link, I get this: x-thread://-290460770/1565522302459441446#m_3255356813777869899_EuroTour

So... No link for me? 

Huh, that's weird. When I click on the link it downloads a .docx file immediately, and the URL I get if I copy the link is nothing like what you have.

Try a different browser maybe?

9 hours ago, Extesian said:

Does the de-passwording of the Prose board mean people can discuss it in other topics (Cosmere theories etc)?

Hmmmm... I suppose that would be consistent with how we do things, but let's hold off on that a little bit. Maybe? I want to think on this.

I'd be more comfortable if we could post the link on 17S to do that. But, what do you all think?

21 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Hmmmm... I suppose that would be consistent with how we do things, but let's hold off on that a little bit. Maybe? I want to think on this.

I'd be more comfortable if we could post the link on 17S to do that. But, what do you all think?

Yeah that's why I wanted to check, because the rules would make it ok to be spoiler free on theories and q&a. I think if it can be discussed openly there should at least be a standing spoiler box rule for any discussion of it no matter what board it's on, at least until it's been a few months from general availability? I'm not against it being discussed with spoilers, and if a thread gets too WS prosey it can be moved to the prose thread?

I'm looking forward to discussing it more widely but people should get the chance to read it without being worried about going to theories or q&a.

Chiming in that I also think a short-term rule about mandatory spoiler tags for the prose version in the general boards would make sense, to give people who want to read it time to do so before being exposed to theories and potential spoilers left and right.

I don't think you can craft a broad spoiler policy with regards to unpublished books. I think you can and should specify for each unpublished novel what is legal to discuss and where, as a part of a clearly elaborated and easily visible spoiler policy. (People still do not appear to understand how the spoiler policy works, tagging topic titles with "WoR Spoilers" and the like. Granted, of the two ways to err, that is the far better.) Spoilers are a Big Deal these days, so you want to be absolutely sure everyone is aware of what content is out in the open and where.

But I would say a thorough explanation of which forums can have what, would also have a list of unpublished works and their allowed zones of discussion. "Dragonsteel is no no except for what has been released as WoBs. Aether is only in its subforum. White Sand Prose is allowed as a normal book, but it must be discussed in spoilers in the main White Sand board. Liar is clear everywhere." Make it comprehensive, include links when you can.

So I apparently was overzealous and clicked the wrong like in the email that was supposed to take me down to the white sand portion of the newsletter. 

I found the correct link and am off to read. Thanks all for trying to help. Sorry for wasting time with my stupid. 

Is the newsletter version of White Sand (2.7) the same as the version sent on request last year? I guess a reread would be in order otherwise to take part in discussions I expect to grow like mushrooms soon.

To all who don't have White Sand (prose) yet, subscribe to the newsletter, it's awesome imho. What Brandon sees not fit to publish is still better than many books out there, for fans anyway. And it sweetens the waiting time for the Oathbringer release.

5 hours ago, Pattern said:

Is the newsletter version of White Sand (2.7) the same as the version sent on request last year? I guess a reread would be in order otherwise to take part in discussions I expect to grow like mushrooms soon.

I would be extremely surprised if it's different. At most there might be some formatting changes, but I see no reason for Brandon to do a revision pass on it.

8 hours ago, Pattern said:

Is the newsletter version of White Sand (2.7) the same as the version sent on request last year?

To all who don't have White Sand (prose) yet, subscribe to the newsletter, it's awesome imho. What Brandon sees not fit to publish is still better than many books out there, for fans anyway. And it sweetens the waiting time for the Oathbringer release.

Taking a look at the copy I received about a year and a half ago... yep. Also listed as draft 2.7 and I can't imagine Brandon going to the effort of touching things up so it should be identical.

And RIP me, I realized that after a certain point the newsletters have somehow been going into my spam folder; I found the most recent one thanks to this topic calling my attention to its existence but several are gone forever. :(

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2017 at 0:18 PM, Chaos said:

Sorry for Necro'ing, but I plan on reading the graphic novels first, then checking out the prose version. Generally speaking, I think anything not considered canon should require spoiler tags. Even more so in this situation, which if allowed without spoilers, would mean Q&A, Cosmere Theories, etc. are no longer "safe" to read for anyone that wants to wait till the graphic novels have been released.  It might be useful to create a subforum to Cosmere Theories that allows inclusion of unpublished, non-canon works without spoiler tags.