Cognitive Realm map and Silverlight location speculation

AeonaRin

Hello. In this thread I posted my proposition of cosmere CR map along with speculation where Silverlight might be, but the thread is a bit old and not a busy one, so I decided to post a new topic, to induce a brainstorm. 

So. Just quickly: The map was created by rotating the star map by 90 degrees. Rosharan shadesmar expanses theories seemed to be fitting with it. The idea of Ashyn and Braize access via nexuses comes from the fact that in cognitive they would be very close to Roshar, much closer than planets dozen systems away, like Scadrial, that can be reached by the Expanse of the Vapors. 

Spoiler

cognitivec.thumb.jpg.3c4e04ff50341449aba8fd53510eb6f1.jpg

The distances are of course irrelevant, as they get condensed in the cognitive. I just drawn over the star map. The star map is an artistic vision, so the directions are not perfect either.

1. Cardinal Directions
    Because they exist in minds of sentient life forms, I believe they exist in the Cognitive realm.  Also, Nazh tells Kelsier to go west to find IRE. 
    Another thing is the order of planets in the planetary system. I don't think they would move around much, so I organized them the way the planet closest to the sun would be closer to north in cognitive. I am not too attached to this idea though. 
    Btw, I think the Southern Scadrial is also south on this map. 

2. Pathways
    I've drawn potential pathways. Note that there is no direct pathway from Roshar to First of the Sun - I think it goes through Braize, just like a path from Sel to First of the Sun goes through Nalthis.
    I was also thinking if Expanse of the Broken Sky might in fact lead to Threnody, while Taldain could be accessed via Ashyn, but I concluded that there is no reason to complicate the matter, because we lack information anyway. I guess the only way to not get a RAFO on that would be to show this to Brandon and hope he is impressed enough to clarify ;) 

3. Dor pipeline
    So IRE has a pipeline through the cognitive realm that transports Dor. And their fortress was to the west from Scadrial. I just drawn the straight line from it to Sel. I know the fortress isn't exactly to the west, with Sel being north-west from Scadrial, but neither my nor the original star map are super accurate, so we should probably not fixate on this too much. 

4. Silverlight
    Now this is just a wild speculation. 

> The star map is a visualization as imagined from Silverlight, not an effect of space exploration
    > Silverlight is solely in the cognitive realm
    > Cognitive realm is entirely flat
    > Therefore there is no way Silverlight is in a plane that allows this view.
    I think the star map was made by someone who simply traveled the Sardworlds and mapped them in the Cognitive realm.

Silverlight is supposed to be a meeting point. Therefore I think it should be somewhere between the major Shardworlds. I've drawn a few ideas:
  • a: Between Sel, Taldain and Roshar - that would be between the three most cosmere-aware/realmatically-aware planets (excluding Yolen). 
  • b: All roads lead to Rome Scadrial, so I thought Silverlight would have a convenient path to Scadrial as well. And Taldain, except for Yolen, is the first Shardworld with cosmere-aware people. I find this one to least likely though. 
  • c: My favourite. Not only would that put Silverlight in the most densely populated area, but also on the way of IRE's Dor pipeline, which, I believe, would be quite convenient for Sel-descendant people. 
  • d: Silverlight would be in proximity of Yolen. Many people believe The Scar is the location of Yolen. If it is, Silverlight would be between The Scar and the rest of the Shardworlds. 

I'm interested to hear what do you think and what ideas about Silverlight you have may contradict my map ;) 

Edited by strumienpola

I love this idea! One issue though. We have a wob that the CR is flat. So when pipelines cross, they really touch each other. The Dor pipeline crosses another pathway. The Dor is powerful enough that if it crossed a pathway there would be issues.

3 hours ago, Figberts said:

The Dor is powerful enough that if it crossed a pathway there would be issues.

is that a fact ofr a guess? I thought the pipeline would be pretty hermetic, because it would be stupid to just let the Dor out everywhere. A giant aluminium pipe was in my mind, but maybe I let myself go xD 

If you're right, then the pipeline would have to go around Nalthis, and the end of it, near Scadrial, it would end up more to the west than what I've drawn, so it is possible I think. 

I will not comment the initial theory because I like, it's cool but I can't give more pro or contros to it

3 hours ago, Figberts said:

I love this idea! One issue though. We have a wob that the CR is flat. So when pipelines cross, they really touch each other. The Dor pipeline crosses another pathway. The Dor is powerful enough that if it crossed a pathway there would be issues.

The Dor is tied to Sel. if that pipe really contains Dor (something we don't know) it is probably forced into it. I don't think there is the risk of leaking out

• Chaos locked this topic