Origins of Harmonium

Staterus

It couldn't have existed before that, because Harmonium is a result of Sazed's Intent to form the two shards into one. I was at a signing a few months ago and asked Brandon about it, and he said it's a unique metal, not the alloy of atium and lerasium. So it came into being after the Catacendre for sure. 

Also, welcome to the Shard! Have an upvote. 

Ettmetal/harmonium/whatever you want to call it has probably been used by the Southern Scadrians for a few hundred years, owing to the technology they already had soon after the Catacendre, and judging from how we advanced when we had that technology, and how long it took for us to get to where they are in Today's Mistborn.

On 4/22/2017 at 5:42 AM, Ironeyes said:

Harmonium is a result of Sazed's Intent to form the two shards into one.

Citation needed.

Sorry, but as someone with a theory revolving around harmonium/ettmetal existing before Sazed, I'd need something more solid than "harmonium is not an alloy so it can't have existed before Sazed."

@TheLerasiumFerring, the thing is that we simply don't know anything about the origin of ettmetal. You're free to read this incredibly verbose theory thread of mine that in part discusses my speculations on ettmetal but, again, we simply don't know.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:33 PM, TheLerasiumFerring said:

Does anyone know/have a theory as to when Harmonium was first on Scadrial? Would it have been only after Sazed took up Ruin and Preservation or some stage before that?

The simplest theory, yes, is that harmonium could not exist until Harmony existed.

That being said, I'll go into why some of us think it might be older than that. Brandon has implied that harmonium is the titular 'Lost Metal' that the next Wax and Wayne book will be named after. Also, since there were prophecies about the Hero of Ages even before the time of Alendi, it's possible that the combination of the Shards was something that had been planned a long time ago, maybe from even before Preservation betrayed Ruin. They might have been working together to produce some harmonium, but then they stopped after Ruin's imprisonment and all the ettmetal that had been produced had either been consumed or reacted.

It's far from the simplest scenario, that's true. But, for me at least, I started looking into those alternatives because of the quote I linked above, how harmonium could be considered 'lost' if they hadn't ever had it before.

1 hour ago, Pagerunner said:

It's far from the simplest scenario, that's true. But, for me at least, I started looking into those alternatives because of the quote I linked above, how harmonium could be considered 'lost' if they hadn't ever had it before.

Well it is on Scadrial for 300 years and nobody on the North never saw it. So it's possible to be "lost" just for ths. Much more it's possible that thanks to Harmonium the people of Scadrial will discover again Atium (we know something interesting remain as Harmonium's explosion remains) that is know as The lost metal

On 5/1/2017 at 8:09 AM, skaa said:

Citation needed.

Sorry, but as someone with a theory revolving around harmonium/ettmetal existing before Sazed, I'd need something more solid than "harmonium is not an alloy so it can't have existed before Sazed."

@TheLerasiumFerring, the thing is that we simply don't know anything about the origin of ettmetal. You're free to read this incredibly verbose theory thread of mine that in part discusses my speculations on ettmetal but, again, we simply don't know.

I asked Brandon myself. Sunday afternoon signing here, around the 53 minute mark. Harmonium is an element, not a compound or alloy. 

3 hours ago, Ironeyes said:

I asked Brandon myself. Sunday afternoon signing here, around the 53 minute mark. Harmonium is an element, not a compound or alloy. 

Yeah, that wasn't the part I was questioning. I was questioning the part where you conclude harmonium cannot be pre-Sazed because it's an element, That simply doesn't follow. It can be an element and pre-Sazed.

4 hours ago, skaa said:

Yeah, that wasn't the part I was questioning. I was questioning the part where you conclude harmonium cannot be pre-Sazed because it's an element, That simply doesn't follow. It can be an element and pre-Sazed.

Probably because It's an unnatural state of the matter. The Harmonium's existence is hard also now that R&P's relationship is less harsh. Before Harmony It would be impossibile with Preservation's Power trying with all It's Force to stata away from Ruin's one

1 hour ago, Yata said:

Probably because It's an unnatural state of the matter. The Harmonium's existence is hard also now that R&P's relationship is less harsh. Before Harmony It would be impossibile with Preservation's Power trying with all It's Force to stata away from Ruin's one

Yet we have Feruchemy, which existed long before Sazed, long before even Rashek. Feruchemy is another combination of Ruin and Preservation's power. Just like Harmony. Just like harmonium.

And forgive me, but Preservation didn't "try with all its force to stay away from Ruin". In fact, he did the opposite. His sacrificed his own mind to imprison Ruin in the Well of Ascension.

Here's a telling excerpt from HoA:

Balance, Ruin spat. Balance imprisoned me. Preservation’s sacrifice—that was to siphon off the part of me that was stronger, to lock it away, to leave me equal with him again. For a time.

Balance. Harmony. Notice how strangely Ruin worded that. "Balance imprisoned me" implied that balance was the cause of his imprisonment, but "to ...lock it away, to leave me equal with him again" implied that balance was the result of his imprisonment. It seems to me that he was talking about two different things. I think Ruin's imprisonment really was caused by something related to balance. It might be related to the origin of Feruchemy. Or it might be related to the origin of harmonium. It could even be both.

Again, speculation is all we can do right now, but I'm just saying we still can't rule out the idea that harmonium is pre-Sazed.

Edited by skaa

• Chaos locked this topic