What's the most interesting thing about yourself?

Erunion

20 minutes ago, Djarskublar said:

If something is kinda taboo, I tend to like it. I am a big anime fan, I love metal music, I read a lot (which is sadly kinda taboo these days...), and I enjoy the kind of video games that piss other people off: perma-death games, especially rogue-likes. I dislike sports as a general medium, since most of them are ridiculous. Trying to control a ball better than someone else is silly, and being able to run/jump/slide/throw farther is just too one-dimensional. True combat sports are the only ones I have respect for, and then only the ones that 1. aren't staged and 2. don't leave one of you unconscious afterwards. Basically, that boils down to martial arts and kendo/fencing.

As for me myself, I either have a very strange case of depression, or I am a high functioning psychopath. I'm not really sure how to describe it. Cold-hearted might do the trick. but it doesn't go far enough. I just don't care about anything in general. I have very little ambition, and don't care about anything that won't contribute to my ability to enjoy my hobbies. I guess you could describe me as the guy that would live in a micro-home out of preference, because I don't need anything more. 'Stuff' is extraneous to my existence. I don't understand why people buy things beyond food/gas etc. After paying my bills and making sure I can eat and get places, I don't need to buy anything else. Everything else gets saved, and a small portion gets spent on hobbies. There is no reason to pay for anything else. The same applies to people. If I don't think they will be useful to me, they get ignored. If I think they will be useful, I'm nice to them. Note: I'm nice to y'all :D

I've struggled with all of this myself. My wife gets extremely frustrated with me because we're buying a house and the particulars of it don't matter. 

It can hold our stuff, what else matters? 

I've often said the driving force in my life is apathy.

A car is a means of transportation, nothing more.

Owning a home is only motivated by the rate rents are rising in my area. 

My interests/hobbies I get really into. Everything else is... Meh.

Makes work very difficult.

Edit: the thing about taboos is very valid too. I've been involved in a lot of... Questionable activities over the course of my life. 

Edited by Calderis

5 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I've struggled with all of this myself. My wife gets extremely frustrated with me because we're buying a house and the particulars of it don't matter. 

It can hold our stuff, what else matters? 

I've often said the driving force in my life is apathy.

A car is a means of transportation, nothing more.

Owning a home is only motivated by the rate rents are rising in my area. 

My interests/hobbies I get really into. Everything else is... Meh.

Makes work very difficult. 

:o SOMEONE ELSE GETS IT!!!1!

I seriously was fairly sure there were only a couple people in existence like me. We would have made interesting roommates. But yeah, if/when I get a home, it could literally be ~400 ft2 or maybe even less, and I wouldn't mind. Room for a bed/dresser, utility things like a toilet/shower/washer, a small kitchen, and a corner for a computer. I'm good. Materialism is literally incomprehensible to me. The strange thing is that I'm like this because I'm actually a hoarder, so I just don't get stuff to hoard in the first place.

As for your wife, tell her that it just means she can get whatever she wants and you won't have any complaints about it, beyond price considerations.

1 minute ago, Djarskublar said:

:o SOMEONE ELSE GETS IT!!!1!

I seriously was fairly sure there were only a couple people in existence like me. We would have made interesting roommates. But yeah, if/when I get a home, it could literally be ~400 ft2 or maybe even less, and I wouldn't mind. Room for a bed/dresser, utility things like a toilet/shower/washer, a small kitchen, and a corner for a computer. I'm good. Materialism is literally incomprehensible to me. The strange thing is that I'm like this because I'm actually a hoarder, so I just don't get stuff to hoard in the first place.

As for your wife, tell her that it just means she can get whatever she wants and you won't have any complaints about it, beyond price considerations.

She's aware and a remarkably considerate person. She runs things by me "just in case" but knows that I'll be fine with it. 

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

She's aware and a remarkably considerate person. She runs things by me "just in case" but knows that I'll be fine with it. 

That sounds wonderful. I'm not in a relationship right now, so the closest I have is my family, I guess. My mom in particular is super picky about lots of things, so that isn't an option on that front. Man, I don't think I can even express how mixed my jealousy and faith in humanity is with you two right now. That sounds like an excellent base for a relationship, since there are fewer opportunities for fights on that front. You both get exactly what you want. *light shines in eyes with imagining life like that*

8 minutes ago, Djarskublar said:

That sounds wonderful. I'm not in a relationship right now, so the closest I have is my family, I guess. My mom in particular is super picky about lots of things, so that isn't an option on that front. Man, I don't think I can even express how mixed my jealousy and faith in humanity is with you two right now. That sounds like an excellent base for a relationship, since there are fewer opportunities for fights on that front. You both get exactly what you want. *light shines in eyes with imagining life like that*

Don't get me wrong, there's still conflict, and I'll fully admit most of it has stemmed from my issues concerning boundaries and empathy. 

It can work though. It's probably the most effort I've put in to anything in my life ever. 

Edit: for the sake of continuing the conversation, I've always felt drawn to characters in fiction Like Dexter (although that show seriously went downhill) because the sense of being numb and going through the motions of life in an attempt to blend in felt so damningly familiar. 

Sports particularly are something that never made sense to me. Why anyone would want to watch a bunch of people run around with a ball is beyond me. 

And materialism... It's just stuff. 

Edited by Calderis

4 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Don't get me wrong, there's still conflict, and I'll fully admit most of it has stemmed from my issues concerning boundaries and empathy. 

It can work though. It's probably the most effort I've put in to anything in my life ever. 

Oh, I totally get that there would be conflict, there just isn't much room for one of the more common/stereotypical types. Man, now I wanna learn more about you. We should hang out some time, if we live anywhere near each other. Unfortunately, you probably live thousands of miles from me, since that's how luck works... Is it okay to say that there is too much variety in the people who visit this site? Why can't we all live within 20 miles of each other? I'd love to meet everyone, really. I'm one of the lucky ones that lives in Utah, where the largest portion of us live, so more opportunities, but still.

2 minutes ago, Djarskublar said:

Oh, I totally get that there would be conflict, there just isn't much room for one of the more common/stereotypical types. Man, now I wanna learn more about you. We should hang out some time, if we live anywhere near each other. Unfortunately, you probably live thousands of miles from me, since that's how luck works... Is it okay to say that there is too much variety in the people who visit this site? Why can't we all live within 20 miles of each other? I'd love to meet everyone, really. I'm one of the lucky ones that lives in Utah, where the largest portion of us live, so more opportunities, but still.

Vancouver Washington here. So not thousands but far enough. 

I'm with you guys on this. I've never been materialistic but I did like things. And I'm lazy so I sometimes use money to make life easier. But a few years ago (I'm 37 now) I sold a third of my possessions, gave away a third and threw out a third, and moved to Prague with only the bag on my back. A big motivation was to reset my expectations of money and possessions. I loved a glorious life there with not much, and since returning to Australia that mentality hasn't left me. Possessions come and go, but memories and knowledge are three things I care about. For me, now, money is for two things: travel/ experiences, and a future family. 

Just now, Calderis said:

Vancouver Washington here. So not thousands but far enough. 

Well, my fraternal grandparents live in Forks, Washington, so maybe I could say hi sometime when I make the trip out there. And yes, the Forks, Washington from Twilight. They moved there before the books came out, and were kinda mad about it when they did come out. It went from quiet small town to loud, touristy small town.

Funny story, they have totally capitalized on the tourism, of course. Everything is 'get your Twilight ___.' There is a small store with Twilight trinkets, a sign nearby mimicking fire danger signs that is for vampire danger near the supposed border line, and even 'get your Twilight firewood here'... Kinda sad, but hilarious.

But yeah, good luck to the two of you. Best wishes and all that. (to reference my prior post, you sound like someone very useful to me, so I'll be very nice :ph34r:)

40 minutes ago, Djarskublar said:

But yeah, good luck to the two of you. Best wishes and all that. (to reference my prior post, you sound like someone very useful to me, so I'll be very nice :ph34r:)

No need to explain. I've gotten better at gauging how I treat people, but back in high school through my mid twenties I was extremely manipulative.

Not really even intentionally, it's just how my brain works. It's messed up, but considering the fact that other peoples feelings matter takes effort. 

I'm not really proud of who I used to be. Even that statement is kind of false though, because I'm not really proud of who I am now. I just realize that long term, causing others emotional harm, even inadvertently, does no one any good. 

I love my wife, and my son. I don't think many people will understand how odd that statement is, because they mean something to me, whereas most people are just... There.

I'm a little broken. 

• 1 year later...
  • Chaos locked this topic