Board Game

The only board game I'm aware of that is out right now is the Mistborn RPG, which is probably too complicated to play with young kids. There is another game, Mistborn: House Wars, that will be coming out this summer. But that is more of a Euro style board game, which is again too complicated for that age group.

Once Upon a Time is a competitive storytelling game, where everyone is adding to the story at the same time. It might be a good one to try.

For that age range, you might be better off 'adding' a story to a simple card game. I'm thinking of a game like Ascend (which isn't played with a standard deck of playing cards, but an alternate style deck called the Decktet), where the mechanic is straightforward, but the story of the game is ducks climbing a mountain and throwing bombs at one another. You could also take an existing game like Phase 10, and add a cosmere storyline onto it (like maybe you're potion makers from Sel who need to assemble the right ingredients).

I don't know any appropriate by sanderson, but if by "age 5-10" we mean "closer to 10", then I may suggest the order of the stick's board game. it is good for casual playing, and while relatively complicated, it only requires one person to really understand the rules (rather annoying, because I play it with a bunch of people who never bothered to learn the rules and I have to explain them everything all the time); taking in-game decisions is rather simple, and should be within the capabilities of an 8-years-old. the cool story to go along with it is the order of the stick webcomic, of course. a lot of people in this board are already familiar with it. in case you are not, I will only say that some years ago its creator set a kickstarter to raise 50thousand $ to reprint some old books, and ended up gathering 1.3 millions. That's how much fandom that comic has, so if it is so popular (and apparently a large number of sanderfans also like it) (and apparently also brandon himself consider it noteworthy, because in the reckoner's saga there is a mention of a "durkon's principle", and durkon is a character of the order of the stick) it may be worth checking out.

Yes, this is shameless advertising on my part. I have done shameless advertising of sanderson on the order's forum too. I always shamelessly advertise the things I deem worthy of being shamelessly advertised :D

Hey, I thought of a couple more ideas:

Munchkin is a hoot. Some of the humor is inappropriate for that age range (they don't need to learn about a sneaky b------ sword), but you can take those cards out and play with the clean ones. (Well, as clean as a giant floating nose can be.) Tape over those cards with your own homemade Sanderson versions of Munchkin cards!

Another possibility for actual Cosmere is buying the Mistborn dice to play Yahtzee or Liar's Dice. (If you play with 6's as wilds, it will work especially well for the latter, since the sixth face on each dice is a different Allomantic symbol.) They are a little pricey, since they're more a novelty, but if you're trying to sneakily brainwash your kids into reading Mistborn when they're older, that may be your best bet.

Edited by Pagerunner

• Chaos locked this topic