Wheel of Time TV Anounced!

Left

So it just got announced that Sony is producing the Wheel of Time tv series!!!! Link Here 
Unfortunately it looks like Red Eagle managed to keep its name on the thing, but hopefully they won't be involved in the development at all. So far, it looks like good news. Harriet's gonna be involved, they have experienced people working on it, there's definitely potential. Here's hoping it works out:D

If properly done this could be amazing. And here they likely have 20 seasons easy if they want to make it long :P Wonder if that would be two whole seaons of the Last Battle. Talk about the longest cinematographic battle!

Then again I'd be happy to shorten the whole Ebou Dar arc to 3 episodes...

My expectations are low.

A LOT of things have to go the right way for this to be done well. GoT did great, yeah. But I don't think Wheel of Time will translate to modern television as easily as got ASoIaF did. And I don't think the source material appeals as broadly. GoT is practically House of Cards with swords and dragons. It's got sexualized nudity in every episode. Every other character is as morally gray as Walter White. It's got shock factor moments cranked to 11. People eat this stuff up.

Wheel of Time is much more traditional. There are gray characters, but the overall story is about black and white good versus evil. There's actually quite a bit of nudity, but 90% of it is women baring their breasts at girls-only meetings. The action and story relies heavily on magic, which won't be cheap or easy to portray. Not to mention all of the fantastical creatures. The story itself gets critiqued even among fans.

Yes, I'm being hard. Maybe exaggerating. But my point is that WoT isn't GoT. Just because GoT proved there's a market for fantasy, it doesn't mean you can just throw money at WoT and expect it to do well. And so far I've only questioned what the show will be able to do if everything else goes well. That is ASSUMING they get the necessary budget, that the writers do a good job adapting the books, that the executives don't break things that they don't understand, etc.

We'll see what happens. I'd rather have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be something I'm excited to share with others. And if the low expectations turn out to be accurate, I can still enjoy it for what it is until it gets cancelled.

Hopefully my skepticism is misguided. :)

I really want to be excited for this, but adapting WOT to a good TV show is gonna be hard. Blood and ashes, the effects budget alone! Not to mention the absolutely vital necessity of good casting. This thing will need to have fantastic characterizations to carry over to a broader audience, because the series is extremely heavy/reliant. People will have to love the core group. I want them to. I still love the characters. But it'll take great acting.