Unsplintering A Shard

joesleepsalot

Question

I searched for this but didn't find much, so if this has been addressed (which I'm sure it has) I apologize. I've seen a few hints that "we know a splintered shard can be unsplintered".

even without going into all the details, I get the vibe that splintered shards aren't destined to stay that way....anyone else pick up the vibe that adonalsium will be restored? If not, what's the end state to the cosmere novels? What's hoid's goal? A big leap... and I have a life and family so I'm not gonna type 46 hours of theories to sell an idea lol but I am curious. Any WOB on the matter?

seems that splintering leaves a shard primarily in the cognitive and spiritual realms, hardly anything left in physical. We know that certain characters have expressed curiousoty about "going into the beyond" (spiritual), but none have returned. 

Second aspect of the post then, does anyone think that certain individuals will succeed in traveling to the spiritual realm to revive shards, gang up on and defeat odium, the rebuild adonalsium?

2 answers to this question

WoB Showing that Splintering isn't permanent:

INTERVIEW: Feb 12th, 2013

MASON WHEELER

You've said that Splintering a shard is essentially the same thing as the shattering of Adonalsium, repeated on a smaller scale.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yeah.

MASON WHEELER

And a while ago, someone asked you if Splintering was permanent or reversible, and you said that it can be reversed.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yeah.

MASON WHEELER

And shard holders tend to take the name of the shard they hold. So you've got Sazed, who goes by "Harmony" now, after taking up Ruin and Preservation. That makes me wonder, does he hold two shards... or one?

BRANDON SANDERSON

You could really answer that either way. The distinction is a really subjective one, and you could say that he's holding both shards, or that he holds one single Harmony.

A relatively popular theory is that re-assembling Adonalsium is Hoid's goal. We know that he is collecting investiture from each of the magic systems (Lerasium, attempting to become an Elantrian, etc.) and many believe he is doing so so he can gain connection to each shard.

Edited by Iron Eyes

Answers:

1. Hoid's goal is his own business :) (No WoBs that I remember)

2. Splintered Shards are mostly Cognitive, so I can see characters who go there eventually figuring out how to reverse it. (I have absolutely no idea how they would unsplinter a Shard, but oh well)

3. The WoB Iron Eyes linked shows that Splintering is a small scale Shattering, so I can see a large scale un-shattering happen in the future.

Points of Contention:

1. The Beyond is not the Spiritual Realm. The Spiritual Realm is where Investiture and living Shards reside, the Beyond is the point of no return afterlife.

2. Non-Shard Individuals can't physically go to the Spiritual Realm as far as we know. It's... Not what you would expect, and the character who got a glimpse into it during Mistborn SH nearly burnt up in the process.