More God metals?

Ataraxian Wist

Question

8 answers to this question

@The One Who Connects Brandon has confirmed that Shardblades are a godmetal. Whether they're 'Tanavastium', whether some are Cultivation's godmetal or whether they're an alloy of both we don't know.

Question: Are shardblades made out of atium?

Brandon: Shardblades are not but it is the same thing but from a different planet...  It’s made out of the god’s body.

Edited by Weltall

11 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

The Metal that Shardblades are made out of was theorized to be a God Metal of sorts.

All the Shards should be able to make their own God Metal, but whether or not they are Allomantically Viable is up for debate.

That makes sense, I was thinking Shardblades too, though they would probably be more useful in Feruchemy than Allomancy, since swallowing one would definitely kill you.

29 minutes ago, Sazedezas said:

That makes sense, I was thinking Shardblades too, though they would probably be more useful in Feruchemy than Allomancy, since swallowing one would definitely kill you.

If a metal is Allomantically Inert, it doesn't work in the Metallic Arts at all. That includes Feruchemy, but maybe not Hemalurgy since it's a bit more loose with restrictions.

1 hour ago, The One Who Connects said:

If a metal is Allomantically Inert, it doesn't work in the Metallic Arts at all. That includes Feruchemy, but maybe not Hemalurgy since it's a bit more loose with restrictions.

I meant assuming it's not Allomantically inert, it would still be Allomantically useless unless you found a way to break it.

I could be wrong but I think metal is simply the physical solid form of any Shard. The question is then how it would be used - lerasium can be burned by anyone but atium only by an atium misting (or Mistborn). So most god metals may be useless for anyone other than a Mistborn, Full Feruchemist (and may still be useless for them), or in hemalurgy (as with Trellium).

Some WoBs

YULERULE

If an allomancer worldhopper really wanted to hack the magic system and knew what they were doing, could they get their hands on some Tanavast-ium or Rayse-ium or Egdli-um? Basically make god metals from the other shards?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes.

JOE ST

Can a misting burn the god-metal alloys of their metal? If not, do the god-metals even 'exist' if there are no full mistborn?

BRANDON SANDERSON

There are metals which exist that any Allomancer can burn, regardless of their own orientation.

ERIC

For the metal in Bleeder, is it from a Shard we know?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes.

BRANDON SANDERSON (17 OCTOBER 2008)

The powers of Ruin and Preservation are Shards of Adonalsium, pieces of the power of creation itself. Allomancy, Hemalurgy, Feruchemy are manifestations of this power in mortal form, the ability to touch the powers of creation and use them. These metallic powers are how people's physical forms interpret the use of the Shard, though it's not the only possible way they could be interpreted or used. It's what the genetics and Realmatic interactions of Scadrial allow for, and has to do with the Spiritual, the Cognitive, and the Physical Realms.

Condensed 'essence' of these godly powers can act as super-fuel for Allomancy, Feruchemy, or really any of the powers. The form of that super fuel is important. In liquid form it's most potent, in gas form it's able to fuel Allomancy as if working as a metal. In physical form it is rigid and does one specific thing. In the case of atium, it allows sight into the future. In the case of concentrated Preservation, it gives one a permanent connection to the mists and the powers of creation. (I.e., it makes them an Allomancer.)

13 hours ago, Sazedezas said:

I meant assuming it's not Allomantically inert, it would still be Allomantically useless unless you found a way to break it.

Ah. I thought you took "Allomantically viable" to be a term specifically for Allomancy. My bad for misunderstanding what you originally meant.

Also, semi-relevant WoB's to the original subject: Here

Herowannabe

My friend and I asked him something like this at a book signing, but for some reason it never seemed to make it onto 17th Shard. We asked if a Shardblade or Nightblood could be used as a Hemalurgic spike (i.e.: two different investitures of magic). Brandon said that yes, in theory you could do that, but objects have a limit to how much investiture they can hold, and that it could be argued that things like Nightblood and Shardblades are already "full."

and Here

Could Wax, Vin, or TLR burn Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

(paraphrased) Firstly, you're assuming Nightblood is not Allomantically inert (he didn't say if it was or not), but if it was, it would be like trying to burn someone else's Metalmind.

Neither Nightblood or Shardblades could be used as Hemalurgic Spikes because they are already "full" of Investiture. Burning Nightblood(assuming you can) would be like burning someone's Metalmind. Taken together, they imply that you might not be able to access the power they contain when you burn them.
You would still use the Allomantic ability the metal grants, but only enough of the metal to make a sword, without the extra power within. His Metalmind comparison combined with them being "full" implies that you might not be able to store in them with Feruchemy because there is no space to put the attribute you store.

Edited by The One Who Connects
WoB's! and Theories