Kelsier on Roshar?

DarkJester

Question

Is Kelsier on Roshar? When Hoid was talking to Kaladin the first time, he mentioned that he came looking for an old friend, but that he ended up having to hide from him instead. We know that there is a group of people searching for Hoid and that at least one of them is attached to Kelsier... Could the group from the pure lake actually be working for Kelsier?

12 answers to this question

Brandon hasn't said anything about Kelsier going to Roshar in the interviews but we have hints that he may have gone off planet. For example: 

QUESTION

[I wrote “Has Kelsier ever physically been on Sel?” in my book, to which he wrote:

BRANDON SANDERSON

RAFO!

Also, taking from Shadows of Self when Sazed/Harmony is talking to Wax: "Few act that way toward me, even among the kandra. It feels good to me. Like older times. Since Kelsier... well, I haven't had much of that." Trailing off right there sounds an awful lot like a hint to me. Maybe, "since Kelsier left Scadrial?" Plus, Brandon says he is still meddling with things, which means he will go were important things are happening. A lot of characters from other books seem to be converging on Roshar, so why not Kelsier? 

This is all speculation on my part, and not a definitive answer at all. However, I would guess that Kelsier will make an appearance on Roshar.

We know Kelsier has been on the southern side of Scadrial, but there's a 300 year gap between those areas where a lot could have happened. A lot of the details are just unknown at this point. I agree that the comment from Sazed does seem odd if Kelsier had been on Scadrial the entire time. 

Kelsier could be on Roshar. If he knew about the rust that was going down there, that is. I'm sure he'd love to meddle. The question is if:

1) He knows how to get to Roshar

2) He is capable of leaving wherever he is right now

6 hours ago, Rob Lucci said:

Kelsier could be on Roshar. If he knew about the rust that was going down there, that is. I'm sure he'd love to meddle. The question is if:

1) He knows how to get to Roshar

2) He is capable of leaving wherever he is right now

Once he has a body, there isn't anything besides obligation to say back. We know from Secret History that there are other worlds, and we know he's interested in meddling in them. Why would Brandon go through the trouble of setting that up to not have him worldhop at some point. And about knowing where to go, I'm sure he could find out from other people in the know rather easily, if he knows who to talk to.

14 hours ago, Khyrindor said:

Once he has a body, there isn't anything besides obligation to say back. We know from Secret History that there are other worlds, and we know he's interested in meddling in them. Why would Brandon go through the trouble of setting that up to not have him worldhop at some point. And about knowing where to go, I'm sure he could find out from other people in the know rather easily, if he knows who to talk to.

Actually no, also with a body a Cognitive Shadow has an hard time to leave his Place. Sure It could be done but you need to overcome some issues as your new being is deeply bounded to your Planet. Other physical CS as worldhoppers discovered how ti do It...But they had to figure out

32 minutes ago, Yata said:

Actually no, also with a body a Cognitive Shadow has an hard time to leave his Place. Sure It could be done but you need to overcome some issues as your new being is deeply bounded to your Planet. Other physical CS as worldhoppers discovered how ti do It...But they had to figure out

Yeah this seems right

QUESTION

Have we seen cameos of Heralds on other Shardworlds?

BRANDON SANDERSON

The Heralds are tied to the system by the magic that permeates them. They could not leave. It’s part of the magic. Some would call them Cognitive Shadows, right? Whether they are or not. ‘Cognitive Shadow’ is a very ambiguous term in the Cosmere. It means, basically your soul-- Investiture replaced your soul, and permeated your soul, and your soul continues to exist, but you are usually Invested with something, that’s tied, and you’re basically like pure Investiture then. You’re tied to the thing you’re Connected to. Most of the things that you’re gonna see like that, traveling is going to be very difficult, unless you know how to do it. You have seen people do it.

QUESTION

Who?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Vasher.

QUESTION

Sure, sure.

BRANDON SANDERSON

You have seen people do it.

Relevant part bolded. We know a body helps from the other WoB but a body isn't enough, it would seem, the investiture that has basically replaced your soul is still Connected to the planet that the relevant Shard is invested in. You need to (I would guess) either blank your connection or get connected to the place you're going. Of course if resurrected kelsier had access to hemalurgy and medallions this may not be that hard. But the body isn't enough. 

This is going to sound a little crazy, but I believe that not only does Kelsier go to Sel, but that while there he reforged the shattered Devotion and Dominion into a new shard.

Kelsier has always had a pretty singular goal.  Survive.  Brandon Sanderson confirmed there is a survival shard, but we don't know who has it or more importantly when has it. 
We've seen from Dalinar that a shards intent can basically be re-purposed if it has shattered.  Kelsier essentially.  Kelsier wouldn't be one of the original 16 shards but a new shard entirely. 

1 hour ago, Fatikis said:

Brandon Sanderson confirmed there is a survival shard, but we don't know who has it or more importantly when has it. 

Survival is not the intent. It's barely even related to the Intent of that Shard.

Seonid

I've heard about a Shard that just wants to survive, hiding off-- it doesn't have a planet it doesn't--

Brandon Sanderson

Right.

Seonid

--out there in space, trying to survive. Does it have the intent of like Fear, or something like that?

Brandon Sanderson

The intent is related but only tangentially. Mostly it just knows what's going on and is smart enough to get out of there.