39 minutes ago, little wilson said:

You realize that by upvoting that, you're reducing D1 discussion to just the talk of what fields everyone is going into and how to use those fields, right?

I upvoted it because it was amusing. :P We'll figure out something to talk about D1.

Alright,  I'll sign up.  Glavion will be attending the university.

Something I want to say now is that I will be refusing to play along with any schemes that use linguistics to directly scan for skindancers (for example,  forcing everyone to include the phrase "I am not a skindancer" in a post,  and then not lie in posts). There is an entire faculty for finding skindancers.  Use that,  not linguistics.  Plus strats that encourage village trust groups to try force people to play a certain way is something I'd rather avoid. It was something that bothered me about the last game but as a skindancer I wasn't really in a position to effectively complain about it.

Edit:  I'll try workout a background and maybe a cosmetic role tomorrow.

Edit 2: @Elbereth

Is the d10 1-10 or 0-9 like the actual numbers on a d10?

Edit 3: Tag request - "Fun with tags! "

Edited by Haelbarde

I just realised that the Doc is the post Munus the table of contents. at the end of the dock it said 

Rules Document

This document contains the exact same ruleset as this post, except with a thorough table of contents and slightly nicer formatting. I suggest saving it and using it, rather than scrolling through 10,000 words of rules in a post.

I would like to request the tag, Request Tag.

As it appears that the request to request tags is in the plural, I assume I can ask for more than one! :P 

I further request, therefore, the tag; "Mage is probably Evil".

:D 

12 hours ago, Haelbarde said:

Alright,  I'll sign up.  Glavion will be attending the university.

Something I want to say now is that I will be refusing to play along with any schemes that use linguistics to directly scan for skindancers (for example,  forcing everyone to include the phrase "I am not a skindancer" in a post,  and then not lie in posts). There is an entire faculty for finding skindancers.  Use that,  not linguistics.  Plus strats that encourage village trust groups to try force people to play a certain way is something I'd rather avoid. It was something that bothered me about the last game but as a skindancer I wasn't really in a position to effectively complain about it.

Edit:  I'll try workout a background and maybe a cosmetic role tomorrow.

Edit 2: @Elbereth

Is the d10 1-10 or 0-9 like the actual numbers on a d10?

Edit 3: Tag request - "Fun with tags! "

I agree with Haels opinion about Linguistics. I was the one controling it, and i admittedly didn't love using it as a scan either. I was a skindancer so i didnt exsctly want to speak against it- controling it postponed us being scanned. But yea. It forced everyone to never lie at all. To always say whst we demanded. This meant that people werent able to do any shenanigans in thread using lies to catch people out or anything. Idk if people would, but it meant they couldnt at all. And we were constantly telling people to post or else. So i also, regardless of allignment, will not be posting the skindancer line in thread. If you're gonna scan me, use a ability that was designed for it.

NeLaar arrived in the University with the crowd, just another student in a sea of bodies. To the untrained eye, they looked exactly like the locals. However, with close enough scrutiny, one could spot some oddities. NeLaar frequently glanced over their shoulder, as if watching out for someone. Though they were fluent in the language, sometimes they would mix up a few idioms. And sometimes, very occasionally, they would still flinch if someone uttered the words “ruin” or “odium” or “shard”.

Still, this world was safer than any other they had found. First, it was outside of the Cosmere, far beyond the reach of their enemies. Second, despite being far away from any of the Shards, it was permeated with its own Investiture and had magics such as Sympathy, or Naming. With hard work, talent, and a little bit of luck, one could study those magics, for uses both defensive and offensive. Third, there were legends of kandra-like creatures here, which the locals called Skindancers. NeLaar could blend in amongst them. Of all the places to hide from two Shards, this planet was certainly the best.

Unfortunately, it still had its own little drama, just like every other place NeLaar had visited. There was a certain tension in the air, one of anticipation, scheming, and skullduggery. NeLaar knew, without a doubt, that soon someone would be murdered, and those affected would begin to turn on themselves in an effort to catch the murderers. Some would survive this process. Most wouldn’t. That was just how the world worked, even outside of the Cosmere. It was inevitable.

The past few times, NeLaar had had no choice but to get involved. Now, however, they were warier. They knew to avoid getting embroiled in the world’s latest and greatest case of mass hysteria. This time, NeLaar had found a front-row seat, and they had already bought the popcorn.

I'm not signing up for this game, but I'll be watching a bit. I'll definitely read the writeups, and might skim over the rest of the game, depending on how much time I have.

Edited by Arraenae

LG33: Term 1, Month 1 - What is the Meaning of Life?

Chancellor Varda stood above the empty skin of what had once been Master Namer Droughtbringer, now a gruesome husk. This hadn’t been something to do with his Naming. He had been ridiculous, but not quite this idiotic. This was something far worse. 

“It’s coming again,” she murmured to herself. 

That night, the Chancellor addressed the assembled students.

“What is the meaning of life?” she began. “It’s an age-old question, and one without any simple answer.But it’s the question I wish to pose, over the next few months. We are the University, the greatest center of learning in the modern world! Can we not solve this question, at long last? There is an answer. Perhaps many. Each of you, during the upcoming terms, will consider it, until you have found an answer to your satisfaction. Consider the great philosophers, the opinions of your grandmothers, the voice of a beggar across the street. Find your answer. What is the meaning of life?”

“I ask this, because it has become relevant lately. You will need that answer, many of you. Death is coming.

“Master Drought died last night, to a Skindancer attack.” She raised a hand to forestall murmurings. “No, they’re not fairy tales or children’s stories. Yes, they’re real, and yes, they’re here. Until they are exterminated, the coming months will be hard. 

“You cannot trust your friends, because anyone could be a Skindancer. But we are the University, are we not? The center of learning in the modern world? Arm yourselves, my students. Advance in the ranks. Find the Skindancers among you and wipe them out, until we remain, purer for the battle we have won!”

She paused, then continued quietly, “And consider, as you do, the meaning of life, in the case that you are one felled by the fighting.”

Magestar stood before the Horns, a large crescent-shaped table with the nine - currently eight - Masters sitting at it, all looking down upon him.

He shivered a little, but did not let that deter him from his protest. “It was only a joke! I said ‘hey, in that case I’m probably a Skindancer, sure’, but only in reference to the fact that a friend called me ever-changing! It was a natural response. You can’t discipline me for it!”

Chancellor Varda frowned down at him. “A joke in poor taste, then. Very well, student. You may go. Be more careful in the future.”

Magestar was brought on the Horns, but all charges were dropped!
Droughtbringer has been found dead, killed by the Skindancers!

Long Game 33 has begun! You have 36 hours to send in any and all actions (sabotages, elevation points, going to Imre) and decide who should be brought on the Horns.

blu_1493575200.png

Important Note: Please label all PMs “Term 1, Cycle 1” or “1.1” for this cycle, and continue doing so throughout the game for each respective cycle. That will make the GMs’ lives much easier for counting. 
Also, more clarifications were put into the writeup. Check there before you ask your friendly GMs, please. 

Player List
1. Queensteph - Vintish Noblewoman 
2. Randuir (Telar Pike) - Yllish Commoner
3. Hemalurgic Headshot (Noremac Quwester) - Aturan Nobleman 
4. Aonar (Aodhan Breacadh) - Edema Ruh
5. Wilson (Sloan Walker) -  Cealdish Commoner
6. Straw (Medicus Novis) - Yllish Commoner
7. Paranoid King (William Opuscule) - Yllish Commoner
8. Ornstein (John Springer) - Aturan Nobleman
9. Jondesu (Vell) - Yllish Commoner
10. Drake Marshall (Greyson) - Cealdish Commoner
11. Assassin in Burgundy (Jurdaan Longfell) -  Yllish Commoner
12. Burnt Spaghetti (Dele Fajro) - Vintish Noblewoman
13. Orlok (Locke Alveron) - Cealdish Commoner
14. Magestar (Magestar) - Vintish Nobleman
15. Alvron (Stryker Nox) - Cealdish Commoner
16. Arinian (Darian) - Aturan Nobleman
17. Stick (Stick) - Aturan NobleStick
18. Darkness Ascendant (Balthazar Myrrh) - Yllish Commoner
19. Cluny the Scourge (Cluny) - Aturan Nobleman
20. Silverblade (Ryth) - Cealdish Commoner
21. Amanuensis (Esuan) - Yllish Commoner
22. BrightnessRadiant (Amelia) - Aturan Noblewoman
23. Eolhondras (Eolah) - Yllish Commoner
24. STINK - Yllish Commoner
25. Hael (Glavion) - Edema Ruh
26. Sart (Titud) - Edema Ruh
27. Joe (Chalks) - Yllish Commoner

Edited by Elbereth

• Alvron locked this topic

Glavion left the hall,  bag over his shoulder and violin case in hand, which constituted the extent of his worldly possessions. Skindancers? Again? He had enough trouble getting through his studies and finding time to pay his way.  As it stood, he feared he'd be out of the uni by the end of the year,  unless he could find more money.  He didn't have the time to worry about skindancers too! He had assignments to work on,  with one due this afternoon.  So he found his way to the library to try get some work done.

Telar Pike was sitting under a tree on the university ground, reading a book and feeling content. He’d managed to secure permission to join the University, and the term would start in a couple of days. For now, the weather was nice, and his book was interesting. It was the first part of an ancient Saga set in some far away land wracked by storms, telling the tale of a slave that managed to work his way up to become the captain of the King’s guard in a time of crisis.

Telar was so engrossed in his book that it took him a while to realize that something was wrong, the first thing he noticed was that the sun had gone down, and that it was only thanks to a nearby light that he’d been able to continue reading. The second thing he noticed was that he was hungry. The third thing he noticed, and which removed any notion of the other two from his mind, was that a lot of students were headed for the student’s central auditorium. They were all dressed up as if the term was about to start as well.

Confused, Telar got up. He was convinced it was still two days before the term was about to start, so he walked up to one of the students and asked what was going on.

“The Chancellor wants to address us at the start of the term” one of the students told him.

“But, the term isn’t due to start till the day after tomorrow.” Telar’s only got flat stares in return to his protest.

“It’s not starting the day after tomorrow?”

One of the students sighed and shook his head, then proclaimed in an imperious tone; “No, it’s not starting the day after tomorrow. Half the fields have lectures this evening, though given the specific requirements of Courses like artificing, Naming and physicking, I doubt you have to worry about that.”

“Oh.” Telar couldn’t really say more than that. Instead he grabbed his novel and sprinted off to grab his books and other things he’d need.

I wish this was just RP, but I'd managed to convince myself that this game started on Monday, not today.  Anyway, I've got one last rules-related question*. In the document it says that the reductions and inflations for the tuition are 'averaged together'. Does this mean you get the average of them for the two turns (say I get a 2 talent reduction on the first, and a 3 talent reduction on the second, does this average to 2.5 talents) or are they added together?

*Btw, if I say something I suspect will not be true, but that I'm not yet convinced is a lie either, will it trigger the lie-detector power?

Edited by randuir
forgot a word

So, this was different last game because of the way the spreadsheet was set up. It is now that essentially half the reduction/inflation applies per turn. So, for instance, for PMs: if you have 80% PMs in turn 1 and 50% in turn 2, in the last game you would've had an average of 65% and been fine for the whole term. Now, you get half a talent added for the first turn and nothing for the second. Does that make sense? 

Edited by Elbereth

1 minute ago, Elbereth said:

So, this was different last game because of the way the spreadsheet was set up. It is now that essentially half the reduction/inflation applies per turn. So, for instance, for PMs: if you have 80% PMs in turn 1 and 50% in turn 2, in the last game you would've had an average of 65% and been fine for the whole term. Now, you get half a talent added for the first turn and nothing for the second. Does that make sense? 

Alright. Does that apply for reductions as well? For example, you get 5 jots for RP, is that actually 2.5 jots? And does the post once in the thread reduction count per turn, per cycle or per game?

Hmmm and so the game begins! :)

Should be interesting... It's been a while since I've read kingkiller books, I might need to brush up on the lore before I start posting RPs.

Anyways... I'm typing from my phone right  now, and I don't have much to say yet... But I guess we should think of something to discuss now the game has actually started :P I encourage everyone to make posting this cycle so we can get a lay of the land

Getting to his favorite spot in the library,  he was glad to see it was free. It appeared it had been used recently though,  as there were a few reports left on the table.  He tidied them up into a pile to place on the corner of the table so that he had space.  Most seemed fairly boring,  but one caught his eye.  It was a report written about the last series of skindancer attacks on the university. He had a flick through. There had been 24 individuals involved last time,  4 of which had secretly been skindancers.  All of them had been brought to justice, though not without cost. They had possessed a range of students,  from a Aturan Nobleman to an Edema Ruh,  with a pair of commoners. It would seem reasonable to expect a similar approach this time,  though maybe they'd have less extremes. This years intake also seemed to be a bit larger than during the last attack, and given their defeat last time he suspected they would send more this time.  There certainly wouldn't be less. 5 seemed a safe estimate, though 6 didn't seem unreasonable. 

Checng the time, he'd already spent enough time looking at the report.  Further study would have to come later.