Ring composition?

Hello all! First time posting, hugh time fan of the 17th.  I dont post or comment much at all but i was reading a Star Wars theory and they were talking about Ring Composition.  

Here’s how it works:

The story is organized into a sequence of elements that progress from a beginning to a well-marked midpoint. Then, the ring turns and the first sequence of elements is repeated in reverse order until the story returns to the starting point.  

My first thought was the Stormlight Archive! 10 books broken up with a well-marked midpoint between 2 sets of 5 books. My question is, has anyone asked Brandon on his structuring of this epic saga.  And if he did use Ring Composition, what theories could we come up with using this info.  Thoughts? And thanks for reading! 

Sorry if this is posted incorrectly, if so please dont hesitate to move it! Thanks again!

Hey there, welcome to the Shard! This might go better in the Stormlight Archive subforum, which is focused on more specific discussions of Stormlight (that don't delve into other cosmere spoilers). I'm sure a mod will stop by and move this sometime soon.

The concept has been discussed around here before, although not in connection to the Star Wars theory. Brandon's use of keteks in Stormlight, and all the symmetry in general in that story, lend a lot of credence that there will be a lot of similarities between books 1 and 10, 2 and 9, etc. As far as I'm aware, nobody has asked Brandon directly. If you ever get a chance to go to a signing, it would be a good thing to ask.

However, I'm not sure we'll be able to reasonably speculate about what things will look like in Book 9. Once we get Book 5, then maybe we'll have enough of an idea that we can figure some stuff out. But it probably won't be character-focused symmetry, since we'll have a different set of main characters for the back five, with our current main ones becoming secondary.

• Chaos locked this topic