Why we are weird

Dragon314

Seriously, we are one of the weirder fandoms. For example:

-our most revered character is a small piece of wood

-the learning curve isn't evident until you've fallen off of it (Cosmere only)

-We can claim ownership/partnership with an entirely separate fandom (WoT)

-We don't argue about which book is the best

-Or which character. Because of said Stick

Why else are different and more awesome than other fandoms?

8 minutes ago, Dragon314 said:

Why else are different and more awesome than other fandoms?

I think it's because there tends to be a general spirit of cooperation and tolerance, especially here on the Shard. I've been here….going on three years now, and I've never seen a shipping war. I've seen some lively debates over whether Adolin or Kaladin is a better partner for Shallan (or, alternatively, whether Shallan is a better partner for Adolin or Kaladin) but I've never seen those devolve into an outright battle over which ship is superior. Mind you, there are strong opinions on the topic, but I don't see them divide people the way they do in some other fandoms. 

It might be that Brandon seems to put something for everyone in each of his books, and that there seems to be a book for everyone. The fandom is aware of this. You like superheroes? Try Reckoners. Pulp fantasy more your speed? Warbreaker. Would you rather see high fantasy tropes deconstructed en masse? The original Mistborn trilogy is for you. You will, of course, see people saying that they don't read anything non-Cosmere, and we in the Reckoners RPG had some difficulty getting our questions asked at book signings since the vast majority of attendees seemed to want to ask only Cosmere questions, but I've never seen a Reckoners fan shunned by Cosmere fans. Cosmere fans more commonly shrug and say, "Well, it's not my thing, but you have fun with it." 

1 minute ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Cosmere fans more commonly shrug and say, "Well, it's not my thing, but you have fun with it." 

I have this happen with a lot of my friends who say Mistborn is "too big" and while that makes me question the quality of reader they are, I enjoy talking to them about Reckoners

Going on with what Twi said, we do seem to be...I'm not sure if nicer is the right word, but we don't seem to argue too much. We have disscussions, yeah, but they seem to be polite. A friend of mine looked at some of this place over my shoulder and was surprised at our eloquence.
Another thing I think is interesting is the ages...most fandoms seem to have a definite age group, and although it might be stretched a little, it can still be defined. But, possibly because of the books being for slightly different age groups, we seem to have people of all different ages. We have teenagers, people who are still in school, but also people who are older.

3 hours ago, Dragon314 said:

-We can claim ownership/partnership with an entirely separate fandom (WoT)

Um, although the wording isn't very clear, there are some fandoms that are connected for various reasons. Not sure if you would call it ownership, but especially on collaborative works there's a certain amount of partnership between the fandom of the collaborative work, and each of the author's 'original' fandom.

Re ages, we also have characters who are a spread of ages for people to identify with. We have what, 13, 16, 19, 25, 35, 50ish, female and male, scholars, warriors, spunky street children, wise people, irrational people........there's someone for everyone to identify with. 

On 4/15/2017 at 1:31 AM, A Budgie said:

Um, although the wording isn't very clear, there are some fandoms that are connected for various reasons. Not sure if you would call it ownership, but especially on collaborative works there's a certain amount of partnership between the fandom of the collaborative work, and each of the author's 'original' fandom.

I was referencing wheel of time, which was finished by Brandon and has a large fanbase who are into both

1 hour ago, Silverblade5 said:

I'd say we're weird do to not having any flame wars :)

It's true, there really aren't any other fandoms we have a problem with.  I mean, I can't think of a single book series or author that is disliked by even a majority of people here, at least openly.  That's not true of hardly any other fandoms I know of.

• Chaos locked this topic