Why can't Kandra get near Inquisitors?

UpLifted

Hey, doing my annual re-read of the original mistborn trilogy. I noticed that Kelsier says that his imposter, OreSeur, can't get near an Inquisitor for fear of being revealed. Is this because Inquisitor Bronze vision would pick up the metal spikes in kandra bodies. While this makes sense I was under the impression that Kelsier didn't understand how Inquisitor vision worked. Thoughts?

11 minutes ago, UpLifted said:

Hey, doing my annual re-read of the original mistborn trilogy. I noticed that Kelsier says that his imposter, OreSeur, can't get near an Inquisitor for fear of being revealed. Is this because Inquisitor Bronze vision would pick up the metal spikes in kandra bodies. While this makes sense I was under the impression that Kelsier didn't understand how Inquisitor vision worked. Thoughts?

It's probably actually just that, and the kandra tell their contractors that they can be detected by inquisitors without giving specific details. Kelsier didn't seem to know how they could be detected anyways, just the knowledge that they wouldn't pass muster.

Edited by Spoolofwhool

Kelsier doesn't even need to know exactly how Inquisitors 'see' to figure out that the kandra might want to stay away from them if they don't want to be detected because we know that their spikes can be sensed by Allomancers. True, Wax had to flare his steel to get even a faint read on TenSoon's spikes and he's a Savant on top of that but even so, it's possible and being a steel Savant himself Kelsier might have had personal experience sensing those metal lines. And he knows Inquisitors have A-Steel so he could put the pieces together just by combining things he already knows or could know, whether or not OreSeur told him 'don't let me get near any Inquisitors, it would be Bad'.

Well, when Kelsier says that "Renoux" can't get near Inquisitor, Breeze instantly realizes implications. So I assume that's not something that Kelsier figured out on his own. It's more likely that if you know about kandra you also know they can be recognized by Inquisitors.

On 9/25/2013 at 8:37 PM, Sirscott13 said:

Asked Brandon at the rithmatist signing. He simply said it was because kandra had made up the rule themselves that they would not go near inquisitors. They knew that some inquisitors might be originally soothers or rioters on top of the inquisitor hemuralgy powers. This would make those inquisitors strong enough to control a kandra. Rather than risk having they're secret rediscovered because they got to close to a double soothing inquisitors, they made up a rule in they're contract that everyone knows that they won't go near inquisitors, even if the employers don't know why. Not as crafty of an answer as we might of hoped but it's the one Brandon gave me personally.

• Chaos locked this topic