anxiety/depression and reading fantasy

dorkspren

I've lived with moderate anxiety most of my life, in recent years it has scaled up somewhat and led into bouts of depression. It hasn't been too serious, but although I can live with it, it definitely interferes in my day-to-day ability to do the stuff I need to do.

I only recently sought professional help and began seeing a therapist. She asked me to talk about how I cope with these feelings when they get bad, and I was honest with her and told her that I essentially just distract myself from them, usually by reading. I've found that reading fiction, particularly fantasy, transports me from whatever is giving me anxiety and lets the feeling pass. It lets me feel intense emotions when depression is keeping me from feeling them in my own life. I fully expected to be advised against this, to be told that distracting myself from my feelings wasn't a legitimate strategy, that I needed to face reality. But my therapist actually said she thought that was a good, and common strategy that she hears all the time. And that if its working, keep doing it!

I'm not saying reading fantasy is a cure-all for these problems, but I really like the idea that it can be an effective coping strategy (among other efforts I'm making toward being mentally well). Stories have been such a huge component of my inner life ever since I was a kid, and the fact that they are so healing for me now makes me smile. 

Anyways, just felt like tossing this into the internet void in case anyone else has had the same experience and wants to share about it. And love and well wishes to anyone who is dealing with these issues :) 

I read Kaladin in the Way of Kings, when I had been pretty depressed for years, and that really spoke to me. I could really see myself in Kaladin, both in how he struggled and how he overcame. Well, except for the spren and surgebinding part. But still...

Dresden Files by Jim Butcher helped a lot too. 

Reading books used to be a major way to just lose myself in another world.

but lately....I think I have discovered my hamartia.

and it is envy.

Whenever I read books now I get these massive twangs of jealousy and envy and I feel sick and crap. And then I hate myself for feeling like that lol. So I don't read as much as I used to >>

the only series I can read are SA (graphic novels and comics don't count btw :P). And that's purely because of Kaladin and Shallan heh.

Not exactly fantasy in the traditional sense, but Watchmen got me through some of my dark times. If I'm in a good place in life, I usually read fantasy. If I'm in a low spot, I gravitate towards darker sci-fi. Hmmm

Either way, reading helps me, too, as does writing. If I ever hoard anything, it would be books and writing materials. 

Reading has always helped me to cope with stress and anxiety, both big and small. It helped me get through High school while experiencing some pretty intense social anxiety and has helped me get through the stresses of work, fatherhood and life in general.

I don't believe I ever talked to my therapist about it but I absolutely agree that it's a perfectly natural and healthy way to relieve anxiety.

Depression for me is a different monster entirely, when I've been in a low point I often just can't find myself getting interested in anything I try to read, sometimes it's bad enough that I can't even find the energy to pick up a book in the first place. I've typically used video games as my outlet for this as it feels like it takes less effort to play games (Well some games anyway, Dark Souls is probably not a great idea)

45 minutes ago, Voidus said:

Depression for me is a different monster entirely, when I've been in a low point I often just can't find myself getting interested in anything I try to read, sometimes it's bad enough that I can't even find the energy to pick up a book in the first place. I've typically used video games as my outlet for this as it feels like it takes less effort to play games (Well some games anyway, Dark Souls is probably not a great idea)

I'm the same way here, and it's been tough.  I love reading, too, and right now, for instance, I have a couple of really interesting books, both some digital copies and some physical copies, but most of the time I can't even get myself to read either.  I play a lot of really casual games on my phone to get through, and a racing game on my Apple TV.  I used to use playing and writing music as an outlet, but for a while now, I haven't been able to get up the energy or the motivation to do that either.

On 4/15/2017 at 0:20 AM, Voidus said:

Those are the worst times, when you know that reading, playing, watching or creating something would make you feel better but you just don't have the willpower to decide to do any of them. :(

As a side note: Turns out Dark Souls has actually been quite helpful to some gamers suffering depression. It seems odd on the surface but Dark Souls is really a game about facing difficult challenges, persisting and finally succeeding. That feeling of overcoming a challenge you initially thought you couldn't possibly do can actually be really helpful when you're feeling similarly about life. The depressing tone of Dark Souls and how some of the characters don't think you can succeed either can actually help in that regard. You do have to have some baseline of competence with action games but you don't need to be all that good at them, just persistent. The difficulty curve in the first Dark Souls game is really well designed.

I definitely understand this. I get really anxious (ranging from mild jitters to full out hyperventilating panic attacks) I have found that reading really helps. It's one of those things where I started to escape my anxiety, but eventually books became part of who I am. Even if my anxiety attacks stop, my reading won't. Books are kind of like friends that help you through the bad times; you don't just leave them behind because you don't need them anymore.

(Sorry if this was irrelevant, it just seemed like the right thing to say)

• Chaos locked this topic