Why do Truthless exist? (Potential WoR spoilers)

26 minutes ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

I'm not sure that the Stormfather said that Dalinar couldn't have any shards, just that he himself would not be a sword for him. Since the remaining shard blades are dead spren and would result in mental screaming if Dalinar picked one up, I think he made a generalization that Dalinar wouldn't be able to get a shardblade.

I believe there was a WoB that Bondsmiths historically didn't have Shardblades, but I'm at a loss to find it at the moment

12 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

I believe there was a WoB that Bondsmiths historically didn't have Shardblades, but I'm at a loss to find it at the moment

I was sure there was one as well but I can't find anywhere. The Stormfather's words say he can't have a Shard:

I WILL NOT BE A SIMPLE SWORD TO YOU, the Stormfather warned. I WILL NOT COME AS YOU CALL, AND YOU WILL HAVE TO DIVEST YOURSELF OF THAT . . . MONSTROSITY THAT YOU CARRY . YOU WILL BE A RADIANT WITH NO SHARDS.

This makes sense to me, it's possible to bond more than one spren but I doubt the Stormfather is the sharing type.

QUESTION

Could someone bond with two sprenand wield two swords?

BRANDON SANDERSON

It is theoretically possible, but the sprenaren’t going to like it. So you won’t see it very often.

But i can't see any reason he couldn't also have an Honorblade unless the Stormfather refuses.

MACEN

If someone is using an Honorblade, would they be able to bond a spren?

BRANDON SANDERSON

It is indeed possible. It does not block it. Good question. You do not have to bond Honorblades. Honorblades work with whoever holds them.

33 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

14 minutes ago, Extesian said:

I was sure there was one as well but I can't find anywhere. The Stormfather's words say he can't have a Shard:

This makes sense to me, it's possible to bond more than one spren but I doubt the Stormfather is the sharing type.

But i can't see any reason he couldn't also have an Honorblade unless the Stormfather refuses.

Here:

On 4/13/2017 at 8:10 AM, Rasha said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Keep in mind that we don't know if Szeth was given his honorblade because he was a truthless or not.

Yes, we do. Remember, the two things he was not allowed to do were kill himself and give away his blade? If not giving away your blade was a rule, then it was probably given to him because he was a truthless.

On 4/21/2017 at 8:49 PM, Figberts said:

Yes, but he said it in the same sentence that he said he couldn't kill himself.

But that's still inferring a little too far to call absolute. Szeth merely state that these were two things that he could/would not do, but it doesn't automatically mean the reason is the same for both situations.

11 minutes ago, Radiant_Jaeger said:

This would be awesome, we could have some crazy fights against the other 7 Honorblades then. Szeth vs. the Lightweaving Honorblade etc.

This might be possible if they come to reclaim the Honorblade held by Nale, however this is assuming the Shin know he has it for one, and that he has it against their will for two, which would make Szeth a prime target. In any other case, I think they'll be more likely to go after the Honorblade Szeth lost in his fight with Kaladin, making whoever is chosen to wield it to be the target. I think this would be a much better confrontation as well, as there are more individuals with more varied surges among the Alethi(that we know of all gathered together), which would be very much like a Captain America: Civil War smack down!

1 hour ago, Zeldan said:

This might be possible if they come to reclaim the Honorblade held by Nale, however this is assuming the Shin know he has it for one, and that he has it against their will for two, which would make Szeth a prime target. In any other case, I think they'll be more likely to go after the Honorblade Szeth lost in his fight with Kaladin, making whoever is chosen to wield it to be the target. I think this would be a much better confrontation as well, as there are more individuals with more varied surges among the Alethi(that we know of all gathered together), which would be very much like a Captain America: Civil War smack down!

I'm just excited to see Szeth and his sword

Spoiler

Nightblood

fight 2 honor blade carriers, since I'm pretty certain Szeth is going to become a Skybreaker. Can you imagine!? An edgedancer honor blade carrier zipping after him while he's flying about them!

Lol imagination is going rampant.

3 minutes ago, Radiant_Jaeger said:

I'm just excited to see Szeth and his sword

Reveal hidden contents

Nightblood

fight 2 honor blade carriers, since I'm pretty certain Szeth is going to become a Skybreaker. Can you imagine!? An edgedancer honor blade carrier zipping after him while he's flying about them!

Lol imagination is going rampant.

Spoiler

So am I, been waiting to see Nightblood in action, since we've seen so little of it so far in the cosmere.

And I know right! these possible paired off battles would be so epic, and entertaining!

3 hours ago, Zeldan said:

I'm also personally curious as to how the Shin will react they see the new Knights Radiant. The whole reason (apparently) that Szeth was made a Truthless was because he told them surge binders were returning, so I can't help wondering what they're going to do once they realize he was right.

1 hour ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

I'm also personally curious as to how the Shin will react they see the new Knights Radiant. The whole reason (apparently) that Szeth was made a Truthless was because he told them surge binders were returning, so I can't help wondering what they're going to do once they realize he was right.

I see it going one our two ways. One, they don't accept them and declare them heretics or truthless, or two, they accept them for what they are, rescind their sentence on Szeth, and have those who wield the Honorblades train the new Radiants in surgebinding.