Somebody make a Mistborn anime!!!

NamelessThirteenth

I don't know about you guys, but I think that Mistborn would be wasted as a movie. It would be completely mutilated, like most books are in my experience, and the complex events wouldn't be expressed. I think it would look nice as a HBO show (like GoT) but in my mind I've always imagined it as an anime or a manga.

For those who don't know, anime is kind of like a Japanese animation, like DBZ and Naruto. However, they are not innocent, or cute or quaint. Some anime (like Deadman Wonderland and Corpse Party) can actually be violent in a way that i've never seen before in a movie. A manga is a japanese comic. 

Do you all agree?

Personally, I think most of his works could be done in any of the three formats. (Standalone's couldn't be a tv show, but otherwise..)

Take Stormlight Archive: it's got big action, and movies are great at portraying big action. It's also a massive series, which is a point towards a live action or animated show because they can do multiple seasons to handle massive stories.

For Mistborn, it could be done well in that sort of format, and I think it'd be interesting to see.

[Pedant] Anime and manga are just formats, they can be as varied as any movie, comic/graphic novel, written story, video game, opera or [insert other format here]. [/Pedant]

Anyhow, you could do Mistborn really effectively in that format but you could also make it work as a movie or a television series. Stormlight Archive is really the only one where I'd think a movie might be the weakest format, but only because there's so much going on that there would inevitably be huge sacrifices in order to get a book into a single movie. But it could still work.

Now, there are various co-productions where a Japanese studio has lent a hand in animating things (the Valerian and Laureline series comes readily to mind) so something like this isn't impossible in a hypothetical sense but I doubt it would ever actually happen. I haven't done extensive digging into how well read Brandon's works are in Japanese (it's on my 'to do' list) but I do know that there haven't been new translations of his works since Way of Kings and they don't have Warbreaker so I'm guessing there isn't a huge demand for something like that they could produce for their domestic market as well as the primary English-speaking audience. But like I said, I haven't done much looking into the subject yet. I do have the Japanese translation of Mistborn TFE (in three volumes) which I need to read at some point to see how it handled various things. Nice cover art by the way.

Personally, I feel that Mistborn of all Sanderson's books is best suited for a movie. I think it would work really well. Maybe I just havent watched enough anime, but it always feels really cheesy to me. So I pretty much feel the complete opposite, that mistborn would be wasted as an anime. But thats just my opinion, pease don't take it offensively, its not meant to be degrading.

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

Mistborn could be well done as an Anime, but I don't think it should be. 

There's a perception of Anime outside of it's regular audience, that can't be avoided. It would alienate a lot of potential viewers who would see it as @scyron just said. 

I feel like Brandon addressed this on a Reddit post once that the problem right now with anime is that it's a niche market. If you aren't a fan of anime already, you won't watch a Mistborn anime (talking about gaining casual fans, not big fans of Brandon's work like you see on this site). 

Mistborn will gain viewers at a theater simply because it's an action film. I'm not a huge movie fan personally, and I never got into the Marvel/DC stuff, but I still saw Dr. Strange because the previews for it looked amazing. You can draw a lot of casual and new fans into a Mistborn film by showing action packed previews, and I think it'd help if they got a fairly well known actor to play Kelsier. The movie format works better for Mistborn than any of Brandon's other books imo. 

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:30 PM, scyron said:

Personally, I feel that Mistborn of all Sanderson's books is best suited for a movie. I think it would work really well. Maybe I just havent watched enough anime, but it always feels really cheesy to me. So I pretty much feel the complete opposite, that mistborn would be wasted as an anime. But thats just my opinion, pease don't take it offensively, its not meant to be degrading.

I agree. I used to really love anime. Then I grew up. There are a few series I'll still hold very close to my heart. Fullmetal Alchemist (the original not brotherhood.) Toradora!, Gurren Lagann. It's just very hard to watch any new anime as they all seem so over the top and ridiculous, and not fun over the top like Gurren Lagann. With GL it was treated as goofy/crazy. Sometimes anime tries to take itself far too seriously then they throw in stupid fanservice moments and lots of screaming. I say make Mistborn a trilogy of movies. Make Stormlight a live action mini series. Movies for everything else. Some of the short stories such as Emperor's Soul might not make a bad animated feature, if done without all of the traditional anime tropes.

On 4/8/2017 at 11:30 AM, scyron said:

My thoughts about Mistborn are basically this. Mistborn, of all his series, would fit best into a movie (at least in my opinion). Now, The Stormlight Archive on the other hand, I feel would fit best as some kind of animated show, since it would be able to best fit the amount of content in the books, and it would be able to portray the action scenes the best. (once again, in my opinion) 

I was actually shocked to hear that the first movie would be Way of Kings... sure hope they can come through with a good, and most importantly faithful, one. (They might pull a Marvel Studios and have the movies be a similar-yet-completely-different story, like some kind of... Cosmere Cinematic Universe)

Aaannndd now I'm rambling, better just stop here before this turns into a wall of text :P

I've though about this idea for quite a bit. Personally I think that mistborn wouldn't really translate well into anything. Too much of the magic is subtle and internal. It would be hard to really convey even in animation. Stormlight lends itself really well to anime though, lots of visual effects to go with the magic. Warbreaker even more so. Honestly though, I think that it would take some amazing actors to really bring the stories to life.

2 hours ago, Omniforce said:

I've though about this idea for quite a bit. Personally I think that mistborn wouldn't really translate well into anything. Too much of the magic is subtle and internal. It would be hard to really convey even in animation. Stormlight lends itself really well to anime though, lots of visual effects to go with the magic. Warbreaker even more so. Honestly though, I think that it would take some amazing actors to really bring the stories to life.

I'm not sure, you would need to make some changes but I don't think it would be impossible to translate Mistborn into another format. Just tossing out ideas here, but you could have metalminds glow to show that they're being taped or filled you could keep the camera really close to a misting or Mistborn (or do a first person shot) while they used Alomancy to help give a feel for why blue lines have sprung up everywhere (Iron/Steel) or the sound suddenly got louder (tin) since you can clearly tell whose perspective we're seeing. 

Also agree with you on Stormlight, the world of Roshar is just to alien and strange to be filmed live action, computer generated animation (3D) might also be a good way to capture the world.

On 4/10/2017 at 0:12 PM, theuntaintedchild said:

I agree. I used to really love anime. Then I grew up. There are a few series I'll still hold very close to my heart. Fullmetal Alchemist (the original not brotherhood.) Toradora!, Gurren Lagann. It's just very hard to watch any new anime as they all seem so over the top and ridiculous, and not fun over the top like Gurren Lagann. With GL it was treated as goofy/crazy. Sometimes anime tries to take itself far too seriously then they throw in stupid fanservice moments and lots of screaming. I say make Mistborn a trilogy of movies. Make Stormlight a live action mini series. Movies for everything else. Some of the short stories such as Emperor's Soul might not make a bad animated feature, if done without all of the traditional anime tropes.

Just to clarify because it'll bug me forever: Brotherhood is technically the "original" one. The 2003 anime deviated from the manga and changed a bunch of plot points, characters, and mechanics. The Brotherhood version is truer to the original story in the manga.

11 hours ago, 8giraffe8 said:

Just to clarify because it'll bug me forever: Brotherhood is technically the "original" one. The 2003 anime deviated from the manga and changed a bunch of plot points, characters, and mechanics. The Brotherhood version is truer to the original story in the manga.

I guess I should have said the first anime rather than the original. I realize that the author's intended story was shown in brotherhood. That's actually why I prefer the first anime. Brotherhood is guilty of everything wrong with the shounen anime genre. It focuses entirely on getting the characters to the final god-tier boss so they can defeat them with their own inner power and have a happy ending. The first anime on the other hand focused more on the relationship of the two brothers, the final boss is neither god tier or defeated by the heroes instead being beaten by her own hubris, and the ending is far from happy. It's hopeful. Sorry for the rant and any confusion I may have caused by using original instead of first. This is all my opinion of course. I know there are plenty of people who enjoyed the brotherhood anime I sadly wasn't one of them. I do have to give to props to the actress who portrayed Lust's death throes. That was an amazing scene.

Edited by theuntaintedchild

I would absolutely love to see the Wax and Wayne series portrayed in three or four live-action movies. The shoot-em-up visuals are amazing, and we wouldn't really have to worry about the less noticeable Allomantic and Feruchemical effects, Soothing, Rioting, etc. I know that we already have a lot of cowboy movies, but this one would definitely stand out, especially with a cool opening scene and good advertising. The only problem would be finding an actor who could pull off Wayne......

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2017 at 4:58 AM, NamelessThirteenth said:

I don't know about you guys, but I think that Mistborn would be wasted as a movie. It would be completely mutilated, like most books are in my experience, and the complex events wouldn't be expressed. Do you all agree?

YES!!!! And to all those who say that anime is a niche, it will only gain more people. Regardless if it becomes a live action or anime, all us Sharders would go to see it, right? RIGHT? I think it would be awesome to see the mists and Vin done in such a format.

I think that in my head mistborn and stormlight has always been an anime, because of the art style and the characters. Plus, the events wouldn't be full if they wreer made into a movie. Nothing against movies or anything, but...

we can all agree that SA is more complex (or will be) than GoT right?

Now imagine Game of Thrones as a movie, or two, or three... doesn't fit, does it? The only way for GoT to screen AND keep its complexity was a HBO series (Boss company BTW). So the best we can hope for is for Stormlight, which is even more complicated than GoT, to be made into a very long and expensive HBO series, or a long and much cheaper anime, with no limits in violence, gore or complexity.

Now that I think about it, mistborn the original trilogy would be awesome as a HBO series. Imagine kit streaming on Netflix...*makes excited giggling*

I honestly doubt I'd watch a Mistborn anime even considering how big a fan I am of the books. I know that doesn't make sense to an anime fan, but it really is a niche genre. So much so that I'd probably even skip it. 

I'd prefer live action tv shows too, but at this point I think we're definitely getting a Mistborn movie. Stormlight Archive might be up in the air because I read recently that the first screen adaption for The Way of Kings made a 4-5 hour long movie. I really wish they'd reconsider that one and make it a tv series instead of chopping it up into a 2 hour movie. 

I've always felt the same, but it isn't so much that I think it needs to be an animas I doubt that a real movie would manage to pull off the action scenes well enough. Meanwhile, I could see any animated movie manage it really well. The best action scenes I've ever seen have been in animated shows (One Punch Man, Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Legend of Korra, Fullmetal Alchemist ...), and Mistborn has some of the most graphic actions scenes I've read. 

I just have a much easier time seeing the Mistborn action scenes realised in an animated show. It wouldn't have to be in an anime style, regular CGI would probably work just as well. 

Edited by Tazren

1 hour ago, Tazren said:

I've always felt the same, but it isn't so much that I think it needs to be an animas I doubt that a real movie would manage to pull off the action scenes well enough. Meanwhile, I could see any animated movie manage it really well. The best action scenes I've ever seen have been in animated shows (One Punch Man, Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Legend of Korra, Fullmetal Alchemist ...), and Mistborn has some of the most graphic actions scenes I've read. 

I just have a much easier time seeing the Mistborn action scenes realised in an animated show. It wouldn't have to be in an anime style, regular CGI would probably work just as well. 

After seeing what animators could do with metalbending and earthbending, I'd be excited to see what they could do with Steelpushing and Ironpulling 

32 minutes ago, ryshadium90 said:

After seeing what animators could do with metalbending and earthbending, I'd be excited to see what they could do with Steelpushing and Ironpulling 

Right? That's how I see it in my head. Of course, I hope they manage something equally cool with real actors and such, but ...

• Chaos locked this topic