Spider-Man: Homecoming

Quiver

On 4/9/2017 at 0:06 AM, Jondesu said:

Wow, that's an amazing montage.

14 hours ago, Delightful said:

So uh, the rant isn't the problem exactly. But all caps and not much grammar is pretty aggressive and aesthetically kinda hard to look at. If you were to keep the all caps, I would suggest you spoiler so not everyone has to look at the whole thing. 

Not hard and fast rules at all, just some suggestions. :)

e54436c456d6bb634743c73ca69f66c7_my-eyee

6 hours ago, Captains Domon said:

That still doesn't fix the fact that he is a total --. I won't say it. It's a public forum.

*sigh

there is this thing called character development. Tony is just as confused and is stumbling through life just as much as we are. He had a spoilt childhood and sure, was stuck up and quite the chull hole, but he tasted reality and realised just how much of a a-hole he had been. And has been trying since then to get better. He hides it all behind his facade of being jovial and sarcastic and annoying, but well, deep down there is still that conflict on reality and artificial control and crap. 

I know how some people may see tony as an cremhole and a bad character, but i reckon that that side of him hides something far more powerful, and that just adds that depth to a character. And I think it's marvellous ;) 

14 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

*sigh

there is this thing called character development. Tony is just as confused and is stumbling through life just as much as we are. He had a spoilt childhood and sure, was stuck up and quite the chull hole, but he tasted reality and realised just how much of a a-hole he had been. And has been trying since then to get better. He hides it all behind his facade of being jovial and sarcastic and annoying, but well, deep down there is still that conflict on reality and artificial control and crap. 

I know how some people may see tony as an cremhole and a bad character, but i reckon that that side of him hides something far more powerful, and that just adds that depth to a character. And I think it's marvellous ;) 

Definitely something to keep in mind.  I love how real it makes these characters feel.  They're not just two-dimensional characters copied from the pages of comic books (though even in those, at least the good ones, there is some character development).  They feel like real people with these amazing powers thrust on them or snatched up by them, but especially for someone like Tony, a former warmonger and still a hugely egotistic and arrogant personality, having gone through the experiences he has and made the (big) mistakes he has, he's really changing and learning.  He knows he won't ever completely change, since he's got too much anger and too many issues piled up, so he's putting all his hopes now on Peter, since he drove away Steve and most of the rest of the Avengers in Civil War (and I think he regrets his actions there for the most part, though he still believes in the reasons for most of them).  He's going to end up being like an overbearing parent I think, expecting too much but also providing a ton of guidance, albeit not a lot of emotional support.  He means well, though, and he's trying.

15 hours ago, Jondesu said:

Definitely something to keep in mind.  I love how real it makes these characters feel.  They're not just two-dimensional characters copied from the pages of comic books (though even in those, at least the good ones, there is some character development).  They feel like real people with these amazing powers thrust on them or snatched up by them, but especially for someone like Tony, a former warmonger and still a hugely egotistic and arrogant personality, having gone through the experiences he has and made the (big) mistakes he has, he's really changing and learning.  He knows he won't ever completely change, since he's got too much anger and too many issues piled up, so he's putting all his hopes now on Peter, since he drove away Steve and most of the rest of the Avengers in Civil War (and I think he regrets his actions there for the most part, though he still believes in the reasons for most of them).  He's going to end up being like an overbearing parent I think, expecting too much but also providing a ton of guidance, albeit not a lot of emotional support.  He means well, though, and he's trying.

my lord, do you have any idea how much comic-books have evolved in terms of characters over the years? They are so much deeper now it's amazing.

And that's a good analysis btw :D 

On 4/15/2017 at 6:28 PM, Darkness Ascendant said:

Okay, you have a point. It's not that I hate Tony. In the comics, he develops very well, and nice to see that. But in the movies, I just don't like the way he treats Peter. In Civil War, he treats him like dirt, "afraid" that Peter would be hurt. And Tony had a right to be afraid, but he really needs to let Peter do his thing. He should've left him alone.

7 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

my lord, do you have any idea how much comic-books have evolved in terms of characters over the years? They are so much deeper now it's amazing.

And that's a good analysis btw :D 

Yeah, I never read comic books before, but I've picked up a few, and the difference between new and old is…unbelievable.  I still haven't read many, though, just not a format I enjoy that much. 

18 hours ago, Captains Domon said:

Okay, you have a point. It's not that I hate Tony. In the comics, he develops very well, and nice to see that. But in the movies, I just don't like the way he treats Peter. In Civil War, he treats him like dirt, "afraid" that Peter would be hurt. And Tony had a right to be afraid, but he really needs to let Peter do his thing. He should've left him alone.

you should read Ultimate Spiderman.

15 hours ago, Jondesu said:

Yeah, I never read comic books before, but I've picked up a few, and the difference between new and old is…unbelievable.  I still haven't read many, though, just not a format I enjoy that much. 

ahh that's too bad 

• 2 months later...

Do we have any thoughts on who purchased Avengers tower/What the tower might become? Most popular ones appear to be either Oscorp, The Baxter Building or The Daily Bugle. I'm all for any of them to be honest, but i'm hoping it becomes the Baxter Building in the hopes that Marvel manages to reacquire the rights back for Fantastic Four

Overall, the film is class, definitely my preferred Spider-man film

Saw it a couple days ago and loved it - IMO the best Spiderman movie I've seen.

I think this won't be a spoiler, since the scene was in several of the trailers - it's the scene where Tony tells Peter that he wants the suit back, saying, "If you're nothing without the suit, you don't deserve it..."

Right now I'm re-reading Words of Radiance (preparing for November) and I'm in chapter 58, "Never Again." - right after Adolin's big duel in the arena, where Kaladin helps him then messes everything up, and Dalinar confronts Kal.

Well, I feel that the dynamic between Dalinar and Kaladin at that moment is similar to when Tony confronts Peter in the movie: an older, imperfect person who yet has perspective that the younger person lacks not because they aren't trying but the opposite, because they're too emotionally entangled in something they don't understand well enough yet. (I apologize for the length of that last sentence - hope it makes sense to ya'll.)

It just felt similar to me. Anyone agree? disagree?

I'm hesitant to say after 1 view if it's the best. It was a great movie and since this is finally a Spidey set MCU it's going to sit well with new fans. I think Tobeys 1st may have a slight edge on it as an older viewer. When that came to theater it was pure epic. The problem with Tobey is 3. It soured all connection from how epic 1 was in fans minds. Then we got Garfield's 1st reboot and everyone sang it's praise because we no longer had that Tobey stain on our minds. All 3 of the 1st movies where great in their own way.

Ehh, I will hold true to my opinion of saying they should have kept Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man. Holland wasn't bad, but Garfield was for sure better. 

The movie was good but not great. I wasn't really feeling the whole Peter trying to desperately trying to be a superhero and failing. Just didn't feel right to me, nor did it hold any faith to the comics in that sense. But it did get a lot better once the plot twist with the Vulture happened. The ending was also good, so happy to see Piper back and I'm glad Aunt May found out. 

Favorite part of the movie was defiantly Karen.   

I've seen it twice :D

I would, because I feel Holland actually portrayed both roles how they were meant to be. Whilst Tobey was a better Parker than Garfield (he had the awkward nerd thing down but his acting just felt a little...weird, especially as he was an adult playing a teenager, and Garfield was the complete opposite in that he wasn't an awkward teenager, he was a bit too charismatic and charming for my liking), Garfield was a better spidey than Tobey (he got the wisecracking webslinger down pretty well, but his nerdiness was well overlooked). However i feel Holland was a better fit as he looks the part, acted the awkward nerd and we get to see him start as out a hero. To start with, the whole "wannabe superhero", really grated with me, but then it started to make sense. He seemed to be still on the high after Civil War which probably fuelled his ego and hubris a little, making him think he can do anything, which makes sense as he's a teenager. 

I finally went and saw it tonight and was very pleased. I said this after I saw Civil War, but I'll say it again: Tom Holland is my favorite movie Spider-Man yet! IMO his performance is spot-on. I loved how Peter was obviously geeking out over being a superhero, all the while never losing sight of his aim of helping people. Plus his friendship with Ned = friendship goals. The inclusion of the Lego Death Star and Ned's mentions of the "guy in the chair" felt like the perfect nods to pop culture to show that yeah, they're actually in high school and their heads are just as full of movie tropes and trivia as ours.

Also got a huge kick out of all Spidey's mishaps with the high-tech suit. "Training wheels protocol" indeed! XD