Talns scar

Steeldancer

I was rereading the way of kings when kaladin explains how talns scar is a belt of red stars... similar to the scar of red stars in the arcanum unbounded map. This means either 2 planets call this the scar independently (which is very suspicious) or we have cultural diffusion through worldhoppers. (Im saying this because we know the star map isnt from roshar, even though we dont know what view point it IS from) Which means there is probably a good reason for it being called the scar. It's weird that a bunch of stars are red, is it not? What if a shard turned them red, I thought? To warn people away from yolen  (and the fainlife there). Or... what if yolen is there... And they all turned red because adonalsium died there. Now we know that when a shard is shattered it makes a BIG mess. So adonalsium would have made at least 16× the mess that one shard would make. Not too unreasonable to imagine that the scar is like the "scattered blood" from the murder of adonalsium. Or just a realmatic effect from so much investiture being released. My question then (which is probably impossible to answer) is what would have happened to yolen. I know there are probably answers in dragonsteel (the original shattered plains, anyone?) But that's not canon.

Edit: ok I did some reasearch, and apparently clusters of red giants are formed sometimes when a large amount of star creation occurs. So I guess it's also possible adonalsium created a bunch of stars in a cluster much earlier than the rest of the cosmere, and now they have simply gotten to the red giant stage. But that wouldn't be nearly as much fun. I would rather it be from the shattering

Edited by The Flash

2 hours ago, The Flash said:

I was rereading the way of kings when kaladin explains how talns scar is a belt of red stars... similar to the scar of red stars in the arcanum unbounded map. This means either 2 planets call this the scar independently (which is very suspicious) or we have cultural diffusion through worldhoppers. (Im saying this because we know the star map isnt from roshar, even though we dont know what view point it IS from) Which means there is probably a good reason for it being called the scar. It's weird that a bunch of stars are red, is it not? What if a shard turned them red, I thought? To warn people away from yolen  (and the fainlife there). Or... what if yolen is there... And they all turned red because adonalsium died there. Now we know that when a shard is shattered it makes a BIG mess. So adonalsium would have made at least 16× the mess that one shard would make. Not too unreasonable to imagine that the scar is like the "scattered blood" from the murder of adonalsium. Or just a realmatic effect from so much investiture being released. My question then (which is probably impossible to answer) is what would have happened to yolen. I know there are probably answers in dragonsteel (the original shattered plains, anyone?) But that's not canon.

Oh my... I was just about to write my own theory on the "Scar" pattern of stars in the cosmere, and then I read this and... and it makes so much sense! I'm not much of a cosmere expert, but I think that the idea of Yolen being one of the planets in the Scar and their redness being caused by the Shattering sound kind of logical! Different from my original theory, but still pretty good! Can anyone else come up with a more logical, educated response to this new theory than me, please? This needs looking into.

One of the things in from one of Brandon's unpublished works, that has become canon, is the fainlife.

Spoiler

Imagine a kind of deadly poisonous mold that covers the entire planet, except for a few isolated oasis-es. A kind of mold that has not only killed gods, lives on magic, but is also resistant to it. Now, I am reading between the lines a bit, on something that does not yet have a canon description, so buyer beware! 

Still, that is what has mostly killed Yolen. Not only Yolen I suspect it is spreading to other worlds and stars.

It is literally killing those stars. That is why Hoid is so determined to do what he is doing - he thinks the fate of the universe really does rely on reforming Adonalsium. 

But I also suspect, that others, like Odium/Rayse think the best way to contain the fainlife, is to destroy Adonalsium and its shards. The more shattered the better. 

Edited by ZenBossanova
spoilers

I've tried reconciling the scar with known astronomical phenomenon but alas, my specialty lies not in astrophysics...

My best guess is that something is causing that region of the space to age/decay much more rapidly than the rest of the Cosmere, resulting in something similar to a loose cluster of red giants.  Any astronomers on the forums today?

1 hour ago, hwiles said:

I've tried reconciling the scar with known astronomical phenomenon but alas, my specialty lies not in astrophysics...

My best guess is that something is causing that region of the space to age/decay much more rapidly than the rest of the Cosmere, resulting in something similar to a loose cluster of red giants.  Any astronomers on the forums today?

Well I'm not an astronomer but there are 2 types of red stars. First you have the aging red giants, who are big and close to dying. Then we have the red dwarfs, the really tiny, really long lasting stars, which are also fairly dim. If I had to say which of the two stars these are more likely to be, I would say they are probably red giants rather than red dwarfs. Which then that means that they've decayed quite a bit. I wonder if the set of red stars is mentioned in any other books... that could give us a sense of timeline. 

11 hours ago, ZenBossanova said:

One of the things in The Liar of Partinel that has become canon, is the fainlife.

Reveal hidden contents

Imagine a kind of deadly poisonous mold that covers the entire planet, except for a few isolated oasis-es. A kind of mold that has not only killed gods, lives on magic, but is also resistant to it. Now, I am reading between the lines a bit, on something that does not yet have a canon description, so buyer beware! 

Still, that is what has mostly killed Yolen. Not only Yolen I suspect it is spreading to other worlds and stars.

It is literally killing those stars. That is why Hoid is so determined to do what he is doing - he thinks the fate of the universe really does rely on reforming Adonalsium. 

But I also suspect, that others, like Odium/Rayse think the best way to contain the fainlife, is to destroy Adonalsium and its shards. The more shattered the better. 

Spoiler

I doubt that the mold made stars die, simply because as far as we know, it's a MOLD. And mold would greatly struggle getting anywhere near a star to fainify it. Because it's a star, and no matter what form this mold is in, I highly doubt that the mold wouldn't burn up. 

I like the thinking behind this and it could connect with the theme of red being a mark of something..wrong. But my issue is that of damage left behind after the Shattering. We know there was huge damage by Ambition's splintering but that was an actual splintering. The power of that Shard was, for want of a better term, broken apart. Adonalsium's death could be the same but it feels more like a 'basic' death of a Vessel where the Shards were then unheld and picked up. When that happened at the end of Mistborn 1 there was nothing like the chaos left in the Threnody system. A Vessel dying and the Shard being picked up seems to have very different effects to the Shard itself being splintered, understandably. 

Of course the weapon used to kill Adonalsium may have done the kind of damage Splintering does, exponentially increased. It would just seem strange that the remaining Shards could be then picked up by humans if there was that kind of damage.

23 hours ago, ZenBossanova said:

One of the things in The Liar of Partinel that has become canon, is the fainlife.

Reveal hidden contents

What is your source that this is canon?  To the best of my knowledge, Brandon has not commented on this, and I am certain that it has not appeared in any Cosmere work released to date.  Also I would modify your spoiler tags to include the reference to fain life, as Liar is not generally available.

36 minutes ago, Brgst13 said:

What is your source that this is canon?  To the best of my knowledge, Brandon has not commented on this, and I am certain that it has not appeared in any Cosmere work released to date.  Also I would modify your spoiler tags to include the reference to fain life, as Liar is not generally available.

Liar, the first few chapters, are available on Brandon's website :) and here. that's all anyone has but because they're publicly available I believe referring to them has been ok here but I'm happy to be corrected.

Fain life is canon because it was referred to by Khriss on AU. True the details of it from Liar aren't canon, they could be changed. But it's existence is canonized. Au spoilers

Spoiler

Yes, the Shards undoubtedly used humans from Yolen as a model (indeed, both of the Vessels for these Shards were human before their Ascensions) in creating life. Because of this, the flora and fauna on Scadrial are very similar to what you’ll find on Yolen. (The non-fain parts, of course.)

Edited by Extesian

7 hours ago, Brgst13 said:

damnation, thanks for the info!  Should double checked the rules on that one.  Now I gotta go read Liar.  I missed that reference from Khriss, that does indeed canonize it.

In regards to liar, I am of the viewpoint not to take any of the characters seriously, as I imagine that will change, but instead pay close attention to the worldbuilding. I assume that that will not really change all that much, so that'll probably give us our biggest clues to what's going on.

• 2 weeks later...

Solar_System_Cosmere.png

Spoiler

We know that ambition was shattered in the Threnody System, and Look whats there but another red sun. Coincidence? I think not. What if when Ambition was wounded he fled to the scar and met the fainlife, and bonded with it? the fainlife would be ambitious to take over and it became a vessel for the shards remaining power.

Spoiler
7 minutes ago, CosmereAvair said:

Solar_System_Cosmere.png

Hide contents

We know that ambition was shattered in the Threnody System, and Look whats there but another red sun. Coincidence? I think not. What if when Ambition was wounded he fled to the scar and met the fainlife, and bonded with it? the fainlife would be ambitious to take over and it became a vessel for the shards remaining power.

I never noticed that! All the upvotes to you,that is some plausible evidence that splintering/shattering can have an effect on stars. 

On 3/26/2017 at 9:09 AM, The Flash said:

Well I'm not an astronomer but there are 2 types of red stars. First you have the aging red giants, who are big and close to dying. Then we have the red dwarfs, the really tiny, really long lasting stars, which are also fairly dim. If I had to say which of the two stars these are more likely to be, I would say they are probably red giants rather than red dwarfs. Which then that means that they've decayed quite a bit. I wonder if the set of red stars is mentioned in any other books... that could give us a sense of timeline. 

Reveal hidden contents

I doubt that the mold made stars die, simply because as far as we know, it's a MOLD. And mold would greatly struggle getting anywhere near a star to fainify it. Because it's a star, and no matter what form this mold is in, I highly doubt that the mold wouldn't burn up. 

There is also the possibility of red shift by those stars traveling away  at high speeds... energy released from splintering might do it... also there is the possibility of some sort of black hole warping light that gets to near it, witch also could cause redness. I'm not much for physics, but if I remember from the class I took correctly, then this is possible. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by Just another guyn

16 hours ago, CosmereAvair said:

Solar_System_Cosmere.png

Reveal hidden contents

Ambition wasn't Splintered in Therenody's system as far as we know.

Ambition and Odium fought in Therenody too but where the last blow happened It's unkwon.

PS: notice that Sel's sun is Yellow and there two Shards died

1 hour ago, Yata said:

Ambition and Odium fought in Therenody too but where the last blow happened It's unkwon.

Ah yes but he was injured, and that would send some investiture spinning off. And the investiture on the sel system was stuffed into the cognitive realm, not giving it a chance to turn a star red. Oh and @john203 you have it backwards. Red shift comes from things moving away. The universe is red shifted

Edited by The Flash

9 hours ago, Yata said:

Solar_System_Cosmere.png

Spoiler

I don't know why I said Ambition was shattered I meant to say wounded, my theory kind of hinges on the wounded shard creating a symbiotic relationship on the fainlife. I also think that the evil on Threnody being ambition unhinged, and ambitiously wanting to take over the planet its a working theory.

I don't see reason to link a Shard's wound to Fainlife honestly.

We saw Ruin's severed Investiture and Leras dyng for thousands of years too as example of unwhole Shard's.

Honor is splintered too 

Edited by Yata