Intelligent Constructs via Divine Breath

Jondesu

So, we have a WoB that a Divine Breath could theoretically be used to Awaken, but it seems like it would have to be something worth giving your life away for, since as best we can guess, it would kill the Returned who did it. However, I can think of one possibility that might be worth it.

Imagine making a human-shaped body out of metal, or stone, and then using your Divine Breath to Awaken it, which in theory may also imprint part of your own soul into it. With the right command, would it be possible to basically transfer your entire consciousness into the construct, making yourself into a stone or metal man, fully sapient, but as an Awakened creation of your own?

5 hours ago, Figberts said:

That would require moving your spiritual web to a different object. I don't know how that would work.

Yeah, it's an unknown, but it helps that Brandon has described giving away or using your Breath (your original one) as being similar to what Hemalurgy does: it takes a part of your soul, the spiritweb, and moves it, just without the trauma since they're designed that way by Endowment. If moving part of the spiritweb is possible, it might be possible to move the whole thing.

I suspect Brandon was thinking of regular Breath in terms of being kind of like Hemalurgy, as those involve a bit of Investiture grafted onto your spiritweb and they can be transferred from person to person. Divine Breaths are a bit more complicated than the normal type since their primary purpose is to (somewhat imperfectly) staple your spiritweb back into your body. When it's passed on via the usual Command it seems to 'stick' in the same way that normal Breath sticks to a Lifeless and it grants a 'miracle' healing but the recipient doesn't get any of the other benefits the Returned did vis a vis free Heightenings.

All that said, the unique way Divine Breaths interact with the Returned might actually make such an Awakening more of a possibility, if there's some way for your spiritweb to 'imprint' upon it over time or with some specific visualization a la whatever Vasher does to hide his Divine Breath. If such an Awakening is possible, it would definitely be a crazy Command and of course you'd only get one shot at trying it...

8 hours ago, Weltall said:

All that said, the unique way Divine Breaths interact with the Returned might actually make such an Awakening more of a possibility, if there's some way for your spiritweb to 'imprint' upon it over time or with some specific visualization a la whatever Vasher does to hide his Divine Breath.

That's a large part of what brought this to mind.  A regular Breath is only a part of the spiritweb, as has been pointed out.  The Divine Breath is something else, though.  It seems to me to be sort of…a staple or glue holding the entire original spiritweb to the Returned's body.  If so, it seems theoretically possible to me to move the entire thing to a new body, without sacrificing the Divine Breath in the same way.  It might involve a hack of the system instead of just a specific Command, though.

• Chaos locked this topic