What do Tears of Edgli look like?

AeonaRin

Guys, I want a tattoo with a Tear of Edgli. But there’s not much Nalthis fanart and I CANNOT draw at all. Maybe one of you, incredibly talented people, wants to try?
Or maybe you could just give me ideas and my tattoo artist will do the rest :D

I guess Tears of Edgli come in lots of colours as they’re used for dyes, but in my mind the flowers were always cobalt blue or black (the latter makes no sense though). The “tears” are probably the shape of petals? Or maybe they guttate? My money’s on the first option, because it’s “Tears of Edgli” not “Teary Edgli” :P So when trying to imagine the flower I think of a kind of an orchid of a vibrant colour? But with more petals? And not on a tree. What do you think?

If you have any quotes handy I'd be thankful too. 

Here are all the quotes about them in Warbreaker:

T’Telir was a prime port, and the dyes it sold—made from the Tears of Edgli, a local flower

If it hadn’t been for the Tears of Edgli, the vibrant flowers that grew only in the T’Telir climate, it would have been impossible. Hallandren had made an entire economy out of growing, harvesting, and producing dyes from the special flowers

So really, there isn't that much about it. Sorry!

Oh, I never thought of pitcher plant. 

I'm glad orchid was on someone else's mind as well :D it makes sense climate-wise too. I'm thinking more orchid crossed with lotos though. 

800px-Bauhinia_variegata_01354.jpg

This is Bauhinia variegata I was thinking of when saying "an orchid". The intresting fact about it is that it is considered a holy tree in hinduism and is connected to the Godess Shiva, "the auspicious one".

800px-Nymphaea_stellata%2C_Myanmar.jpgthis is Nymphaea stellata, the "blue lotos" and is also a god-related flower in hinduism (offered to several gods) considered to be pure. 

Edited by strumienpola

Well Brandon did say that he used Hawaii as a model for the ecosystem of Hallandren (and how utterly grueling that research was :D) so he might have had some of their flowers in mind specifically. But lotus flowers or orchids would be a really good option as well given their real-world religious significance.

6 hours ago, Weltall said:

Well Brandon did say that he used Hawaii as a model for the ecosystem of Hallandren (and how utterly grueling that research was :D) so he might have had some of their flowers in mind specifically. But lotus flowers or orchids would be a really good option as well given their real-world religious significance.

I did not know that. Hmm. Iconic Hawaiian flowers are plumeria and gardenia. Too many choices <_< I guess I'll just have to ask about it on a signing or something before I put it on my skin, eh. I'm impatient ;)

Thanks for the info, take my upvote :3 

Edited by strumienpola

• 3 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic