The Plot Point Connection Theory

Koldun

We all know that the Cosmere books all share certain themes. Both in Way of King's and the Mistborn trilogy, characters are faced with the fact that their attempts at turning the world into a utopia were futile, and that before there could be peace, there had to be war. Elend needed to be a fighter before he was a diplomat, as did Dalinar. There is also a common theme of those we thought to be evil to have actually been more heroic then we thought. I think, that when whatever Adolnasium was intact, it governed over a world in which many of these things occurred, and were integral to its eventual shattering. After the Shattering, the Shards remembered them, and subconsciously incorporated these things into the world, resulting in similar things popping up across the Cosmere. This could be why the Worldbringers seem so much like Worldsingers, why magic is almost always divided into groups, and why humans are so gosh darn popular among the Shards.

I don't agree with the core of this, that the Shards are shaping the events of the books like that, directing them like a play, even unconsciously. I see humans as having free nature and agency, and while they are created originally, past that, their choices are their own.

One thing that I can kinda confirm though is why the humans are the same. I believe there's a quote from either Mistborn: Secret History or the Arcanum Unbounded Essays about how the shards made humans after what they had seen before. And we also know that there's Dragonsteel, a book that's going to show what happened before the shattering of Adonalsium, and Hoid was there. He's human, (or at least close-ish) so the shards probably based humans off of what Adonalsium or somebody/something had created previously.

• Chaos locked this topic