Jasnah and the Cosmere *WoR spoilers*

So over in the events section (Warsaw event, I believe) there was a WoB saying Jasnah neither knows of Adonalsium nor is she cosmere aware. Now I understand that she can understand realmatic theory and enter the cognitive realm without knowing of the other planets and the cosmere, but I felt the final interaction between her and Hoid (at the end of WoR) had basically established she had world-hopped over the Scadrial. I mean come on, she had a bandolier! Anyone else blown away by this?

37 minutes ago, CosmereQuestioner said:

So over in the events section (Warsaw event, I believe) there was a WoB saying Jasnah neither knows of Adonalsium nor is she cosmere aware. Now I understand that she can understand realmatic theory and enter the cognitive realm without knowing of the other planets and the cosmere, but I felt the final interaction between her and Hoid (at the end of WoR) had basically established she had world-hopped over the Scadrial. I mean come on, she had a bandolier! Anyone else blown away by this?

5 minutes ago, CosmereQuestioner said:

Maybe...(and I can point to WoB that strongly indicates that the epilogue of WoR is evidence of world hopping) but I can't imagine that scholar Jasnah, upon discovering other worlds with intelligent life, wouldn't go about becoming cosmere aware very quickly.

Can you please spell this out in more detail, especially why you specifically identify Scadrial as where she was? The way I interpreted the bandolier was that there are Physical objects in Shadesmar, like what we see with the Ire in Secret History, remnants of Radiant waypoints or something in the Cognitive Realm. I'm not seeing why it indicates she has worldhopped.

I've seen this particular idea a few times in the past - that the bandolier suggests Jasnah has been to a place where bandoliers exist, and we know that Scadrial is in the right era for that (bandoliers are traditionally used for carrying cartridges, for gunpowder-based firearms), therefore Jasnah must've gotten it from there. I find some merit in the theory, but it's not a sure one. 

The other aspect is this: http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=977 (I don't know how to point the link directly to the quote, but it's about 3/4 of the page down, do an in page search for "mcalton2", the asker).

This quote leads me to believe that scene involved cross-world travels.  And yes, bandolier -> scadrial seemed the obvious connection once you are convinced it's crossworld travel.

I think that if she traveled to Scadrial - or any other planet really - her priorities wouldn't be getting a bandolier and a backpack but clothing that isn't ragged and a proper glove. But when we see her, her dress is tattered and she has an improvised glove on her safehand. That makes me think new possessions is something she either found or was given and that very well might have happened in the shadesmar. 

Just now, Yata said:

I think she simply meet someone in the Cognitive. I really doubt she overcome Roshar's Borders....Between her "death" and her "return" too little time passed.

Agreed. Maybe Nazh gave them to her.

Bandoliers are kind of a western trope... but as others have pointed out, it's not exclusively purview of the Western. It sometimes get's play in post-pocalypse stories... and, really, Roshar kind of fits that bil as a blasted, desolate, literally-forsaken-by-the-gods world.

Also, it looks cool. Brandon is a great worldbuilder and story teller... but sometimes, he does do things just to be cool. See: Kaladin's duel.
Bandoliers are cool, and a short hand for survivalists. Therefore, by giving Jasnah a ragged appearance and a bandolier, he makes her look cool, establishes she's had a rough time doing whatever-she's-been-doing, and set's up an easy utility belt for her to draw items from as the plot requires them.

(And yes, I might be comparing Jasnah to the Batman with that last point.)

We know Elsecallers can Worldhop

RURO272

On a similar note, since Elsecallers can physically go to Shadesmar and have access to Transportation surge, can all Elsecallers worldhop?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, that is one of the Elsecaller powers

I think it's just that being aware of other planets and even visiting them does not make you aware of the history of the Cosmere, the magics and the power structure. She is not aware of Adonalsium. She may not be aware of the Shards or at least the ones outside Roshar. She may not be aware of the variety and nature of magical systems outside Roshar. She's a scholar of Rosharan history but apparently not a Cosmere scholar.

Unless she has ways to move fast in shadesmar, and so far we don't think she has - even hoid must spend time to go around there - visiting other planets take months, possibly years. and since she discovered her powers, jasnah has been busy with the desolation business. even if she's somehow aware that there are other planets out there (something that is not apparent from just visiting the cognitive realm) i doubt she'd spend so much time investigating what, as far as she's concerned, is merely an academic curiosity

I think another good question we have to ask ourselves, is Jasnah capable of going to Scadrial? 

I am sure she by herself is, but her spren Ivory is not easy taken from Roshar. She would have to be much more cosmere aware to figure that out. 

If she went to Scadrial, then she almost certainly went without her spren. 

So, as much as I hope Jasnah introduces gunpowder and cannons to the Voidbringers, if she does have firearms, it is something she from someone else, that was taken there by a worldhopper. 

And why would she go to Scadrial when she was interested in Roshar and the Spren there? 

Of course, Jasnah doesn't even realize that Honor and Cultivation are real people, and she is from Roshar! 

Edited by ZenBossanova
cuz

Spren, as cognitive entities associated with a location, cannot easily travel away from the location they are connected to. While it is possible to do so, it requires some work to make it happen, so if Jasnah had gone to Scadrial, that means she would've likely have had to leave Ivory behind, therefore abandoning her surgebinding powers as well. 

Multiple things of minor/major note (depending on your opinion)

1) We have WoB that Elsecalling is not precise, even with skill and practice. (I doubt she could somehow manage to miss a planet, but a general teleport me "that way" isn't exactly the best idea without planning)

2) I swear there was a Reddit WoB somewhere about worldhopping where Spren could "totally do that" (no distinction b/w bonded and unbonded Spren, so no guarantees on if Ivory can, but it's food for thought.)

1 hour ago, The One Who Connects said:

Multiple things of minor/major note (depending on your opinion)

1) We have WoB that Elsecalling is not precise, even with skill and practice. (I doubt she could somehow manage to miss a planet, but a general teleport me "that way" isn't exactly the best idea without planning)

2) I swear there was a Reddit WoB somewhere about worldhopping where Spren could "totally do that" (no distinction b/w bonded and unbonded Spren, so no guarantees on if Ivory can, but it's food for thought.)

To your second point, I believe Sanderson also confirmed that spren, much like people, typically possess strong Connection to the planet where they were "born." This Connection makes it just difficult enough for spren to leave their homeworld to account for the fact that spren sightings outside of the Rosharan system will be rare if they ever even happen on screen. Bonded Radiant spren with strong Connection to things other than their planet should have an easier time traversing worlds.

Here's something. I'll get the source tomorrow.

FirstSelector: So if I’m a Surgebinder and I have my own Cognitive entity with me, can I go off-world with that and [have] everything continue to work in exactly the same way? Because we’ve seen Cognitive entities that--
Brandon: So...taking a Cognitive entity off-world is hard. So, Surgebinding, if you can find out how to make it happen, remember, the Investiture is keyed to Connection. This is why Kelsier is--Oh, sorry, spoilers! When a certain somebody [laughter] getting off Scadrial, because he basically was a spren by that point so…[laughter] So, yeah Surgebinding would work off planet, but you’d have to get the spren off first. It’s hard to do. Well, Cosmere-wide it’s not hard hard...You could learn how.

• Chaos locked this topic