Is there such thing as a blind Tineye?

The Honor Spren

Question

6 answers to this question

Tin can only enhance what you have and doesn't possess any healing power* so it would only work on your other senses. Brandon was asked some questions about a blind Mistborn (based on the MAG but still useful as a hypothetical) and confirmed that they'd still be blind even with tin but could 'sense' things that normally have a visual component like steel/iron lines, gold shadows and atium. (here)

* There's a question over whether you could heal being born blind since your Cognitive self-image would probably include 'being blind' as part of it, never having had the experience of sight

Edited by Weltall
Enhance, not store. This isn't Feruchemy... though it's functionally not much different here

I would assume it would just heighten their other senses, because allowing them to see would require some sort of healing or replacement for their damaged vision, which we have had no indication it does. 

Additionally, as it is possible to temporarily blind or deafen a Tineye using bright lights or noises when they are burning tin, they do seem capable of being unable to use certain senses, even if burning tin. 

Burning tin might be kind of complicated. The main thing that Vin, Kelsier and Spook comment on is their enhanced vision (namely being able to see through the mists)... but that could be because vision is the main way those characters interact with their surroundings. Spook comments on tin amping his other senses after he becomes a savant... but I'm not sure if it's a case of "Your other senses get heightened when you become a savant," or "Your other senses are always heightened when burning tin, but by becoming a savant Spook became more aware of the metals ability on his other four senses".

So... I dunno. Depends on whether normal tin heightens other senses in addition to sight, I suppose. If it does, then burning tin would heighten the other senses. If it does, then until you become a savant, you probably get no bonuses to any of them.
Either way, I don't see tin making someone who is blind able to see.

5 hours ago, Quiver said:

Depends on whether normal tin heightens other senses in addition to sight, I suppose. If it does, then burning tin would heighten the other senses. If it does, then until you become a savant, you probably get no bonuses to any of them.

Tin boosts the basic senses, not just sight. It's in the prologue chapter when Kelsier burns it. The smells become stronger, the sounds become clearer, the light becomes brighter. He points these out rather quickly, and he isn't a savant. I think the sight comments are entirely due to the fact that we use eyes to see, so we notice that first.

For the OP: A-Tin, like F-Tin, shouldn't improve a sense that you don't have like eyesight. Sazed needed a torch in book two, Vin most likely would have too. Blind people would stay blind, but have very good hearing (there's blind people in real life who can navigate via sound, given lots of practice of course, so it's not a stretch to function like that.) and other senses. 

8 hours ago, Quiver said:

Burning tin might be kind of complicated. The main thing that Vin, Kelsier and Spook comment on is their enhanced vision (namely being able to see through the mists)... but that could be because vision is the main way those characters interact with their surroundings. Spook comments on tin amping his other senses after he becomes a savant... but I'm not sure if it's a case of "Your other senses get heightened when you become a savant," or "Your other senses are always heightened when burning tin, but by becoming a savant Spook became more aware of the metals ability on his other four senses".

So... I dunno. Depends on whether normal tin heightens other senses in addition to sight, I suppose. If it does, then burning tin would heighten the other senses. If it does, then until you become a savant, you probably get no bonuses to any of them.

Tin heightens all senses to a large degree. When Vin seeks out information from Spook in Mistborn, he says There's lots of sensations from Tin. People moving, cold fromn the stones, etc..

The main reason we hear about vision, is that it's the brain's fastest cognitive process. We rely on vision to make use of our motor functions  90% of the time. As such, we read about it a lot. 

To address the O.P. Tin can't grant what's not already there, as has been previously stated. Savants however appear to be able to circumvent these shortcomings.

I agree with what others have said, humans in general are primarily visual, so the enhanced vision tends to get mentioned and used the most, but Tin enhances all the senses, and a blind character (or a hypothetical allomancer of a race that is less visually orientated than humans) would notice and use the enhancement of the other senses more.