Hello. I heard there were cookies.

Starla

I’ve been lurking for a while and decided to say hello. I’m not usually very talkative on the internet, but there are a lot of interesting discussions here so I thought I’d give it a try.

A few months ago I decided to try a new fantasy series on audiobook, which I’d never done before (I’m usually a reader). I decided on Mistborn because I was familiar with Brandon Sanderson from the Wheel of Time, which is one of my favorite series. I got sucked in and listened to all six Mistborn books plus Secret History in about six weeks. I then moved on to Stormlight Archive. Holy cow. I listened to WOK, WOR, and Edgedancer twice in two months. I have just finished Warbreaker and am about to begin Elantris. Needless to say, I am loving the books and am also an audiobook junkie now.

I’ve also read a good chunk of the Coppermind wiki, the TOR rereads, and this forum. I made it as far as page 100 in the Stormlight sub-forum. Alongside all that, I managed to eat, sleep, work, go to the grocery store, and tend to personal hygiene. I even see people now and again.

I am fascinated by the worldbuilding and pure imagination that has gone into the cosmere, the magic systems, the shards, realms, the different worlds, etc. I’ve been writing fantasy since childhood, and have a huge multiverse with interconnecting worlds and hundreds of characters partially on my computer and partially in my head. I know how much work goes into it, and how difficult it is to organize all of it without losing focus and letting the story sprawl. Brandon has done an amazing job of communicating the different parts of his multi-world universe in a clear, concise, imaginative way. He keeps the individual stories focused while hinting at the bigger picture without giving too much away. I’ve been watching his writing classes on youtube and am in awe of his process and what he has created.

Even better than his worldbuilding are the characters. I love characters and need to fall in love with one or more of them to get fully invested in a story. That happened with every one of these books. I now have a few new fictional boyfriends, which is always fun.

Sorry, I’ve rambled a little. I’ll stop now.

[Note that I'm magically protected against all poisons, spikes, voidspren, raisins, or anything else you try to hide in my cookie. I’m not saying how.]

30 minutes ago, Starla said:

[Note that I'm magically protected against all poisons, spikes, voidspren, raisins, or anything else you try to hide in my cookie. I’m not saying how.]

*discards the cookies approach and just plainly stabs @Starla with a lengthy piece of metal*

What? Why are you looking like that at me? We all know newcomers are just a source of new spikes, right?

46 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

*discards the cookies approach and just plainly stabs @Starla with a lengthy piece of metal*

What? Why are you looking like that at me? We all know newcomers are just a source of new spikes, right?

You might have started a new tradition here... *I feel bad for the future generation of would-be sharders*

Hi @Starla! And welcome to the Shard - oh, and, I apologize for the spike sticking out of you.

Oh you guys are ruthless. One post and I'm already lying on the floor bleeding with evil entities taking over my brain.

Welcome to the cult of Cosmere obsessed nerds whose intellect far accedes their maturity!

Haha I should fit right in. I have a bumper sticker that says "Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult." :)

hey there starla and welcome to the 17th shard , i am manukos , i make puns and post scripts
i was the prevolant cookie maker and distibutor at the newcomer  greeting kiosk , but i've steped down lately to let some new blood keep it up. However your request deemed a special kind of attention , so, tell me if you have any preferences in cookies.

my story is preaty much similar to your own (though without the wot part , a seiries that i have left in permenant hiatus) 

apart from that i hope that you keep on being active and "talkative " 

P.S. if you have any questins about how the forum operates, feel free to pm me 

p.s.2 we are pobably having an other long game of mafia starting any day now  , so , concider joining in.

I got spiked a couple of times:angry:. Fortunately, none of them was in a vital area. I'm one of the lucky ones. I've seen some new Sharders who got spiked so many times that they now look like pin cushions :lol:

PS: A note of warning to serial spikers. I've got Sazed (Harmony) on speed dial. I'm watching you  :ph34r:

I will attempt the multi-quote function while I'm in the newbie zone. Better to screw up here than in the "real world." Let's see how it goes...

8 hours ago, Manukos said:

hey there starla and welcome to the 17th shard , i am manukos , i make puns and post scripts
i was the prevolant cookie maker and distibutor at the newcomer  greeting kiosk , but i've steped down lately to let some new blood keep it up. However your request deemed a special kind of attention , so, tell me if you have any preferences in cookies.

my story is preaty much similar to your own (though without the wot part , a seiries that i have left in permenant hiatus) 

apart from that i hope that you keep on being active and "talkative " 

P.S. if you have any questins about how the forum operates, feel free to pm me 

p.s.2 we are pobably having an other long game of mafia starting any day now  , so , concider joining in.

Thanks Manukos, I feel honored that you came out of hiatus to say hello. :D I enjoy magic cookies with white chocolate chips. 

When you say you "post scripts," are these story scripts or code scripts? As a writer and a web developer, I find both types of scripts geekily exciting.

I've not heard of the mafia game, but it sounds fun. I'll keep an eye out for it.

6 hours ago, Zennix said:

I got spiked a couple of times:angry:. Fortunately, none of them was in a vital area. I'm one of the lucky ones. I've seen some new Sharders who got spiked so many times that they now look like pin cushions :lol:

PS: A note of warning to serial spikers. I've got Sazed (Harmony) on speed dial. I'm watching you  :ph34r:

You know, it's now been a full day since I got spiked, and I am beginning to wonder why I was so concerned. I feel great, and everyone here is intelligent, and witty, and beautiful, and articulate, and all your wishes are my command... 

Edited by Starla

Welcome!  I came in through the audiobooks as well!!!  I pretty much am listening to one Sanderson or other on repeat these days.  Just finished my second WoR listen yesterday and mind spinning with all the new things that stood out this time around.  

Now that I've joined 17th Shard though... starting to eye the print copies so i can get my hands on the maps and charts and miscellany that doesn't come across in audio form very well, if at all.  So far just White Sand, as it can't be consumed in audio form.  Gah!

@ArborealEtymologist you can find all of the internal artwork for WOK and WOR on Brandon's website. I'd give a direct link but the website is down at the moment (if anyone at Team Sanderson needs website help, I'm your girl! :) ). I didn't find the drawings until my second listen of the books, and they greatly enhanced the experience!

One thing I find interesting about the audiobooks is the similar voices used for characters in the different series (the one's Michael Kramer reads). Forever in my head, Wayne = Lopen, Sazed = Sigzil, Kelsier = Dalinar, and Elend = Wax = Kaladin. Oddly enough, I have similar feelings about the characters with the same voices. Perhaps it's a weird auditory brain connection, or they are similar character types.

Edited to ask: How to I tag someone's user name so it is highlighted in black?

Edited by Starla

3 hours ago, Starla said:

Edited to ask: How to I tag someone's user name so it is highlighted in black?

When you type @, a little box should appear underneath it a slightly you type the person's name. This box should have usenames in it, and ince you've typed enough of the username that you're wanting to tag, that name should pop up, and you can click it.

Also, welcome to the 17th Shard! I'm fairly new to the a Cosmere (as in, I still need to get around to starting it), but I know you'll enjoy the site. 

Have you read some of Brandon's other works? If not, then I recommend that you read Steelheart.

Edited by StrikerEZ