Idealistic Mistborn

Breaths questions

7 posts in this topic

At some point of Warbreaker Denth cuts an awakened rope, so my question is what happened with the breaths inside the rope? are they divided between the parts?

Also we know from Vasher that only the person who put the breaths inside a object or awakens something can get the breaths back, so if an awakener dies without recover the breaths, What happens with the breath inside the object? It lies there forever? It seems like a waste for me.

I wondered about the same thing then I reread that part recently. I figure that the Awakener can recover at least partial breath back from both ropes, but I don't have any WoB to base that on. As for the death of an Awakener, the breaths are indeed lost.

We don't know exactly what happens when you split an Awakened object but the rope does continue to move after being split so it's possible the Breath gets split between parts until the object is too damaged (in both a Physical and Cognitive sense) and the Awakening simply falls apart. We know something similar can happen with magic systems on other worlds so it's likely the same applies here. Mistborn details and spoilers through Alloy of Law

Feruchemical metalminds that are damaged still retain some of the attribute stored in them, split between parts. Similarly, a Hemalurgic spike can retain a small charge even if the original spike is split up many many times. It's how the Pathian earrings work in Era 2

As for what happens to Breaths after someone has died (whether they were holding them or they were in Awakened objects) we know that they're effectively lost but Brandon has suggested that it might be possible to harvest at least some of these 'lost' Breaths.

Edited by Weltall

That's very interesting about the harvesting. I'd always thought they'd be lost (as concluded in the book), but that gives me a lot to think about! Like Vasher said, we don't really know very much about breath.

There was a Reddit WoB (that I'll find tomorrow) about "Bob the Awakener"

If he was made into a lifeless after death, he could not recover the breath, but if he became a Returned, he could.

As for splitting the object, I think there was a WoB about it, but I may be remembering the one about breaking metalminds. It stands to reason that they would work the same way because "underlying rules and all that..."

55 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

There was a Reddit WoB (that I'll find tomorrow) about "Bob the Awakener"

If he was made into a lifeless after death, he could not recover the breath, but if he became a Returned, he could.

As for splitting the object, I think there was a WoB about it, but I may be remembering the one about breaking metalminds. It stands to reason that they would work the same way because "underlying rules and all that..."

Good memory. Here it is.

Oudeis16
1y

If Bob the Awakener Awakened fifty straw men to dance around, then died, then Returned as FormerBob the Appropriately Named, would FormerBob be able to reclaim the Breath from the straw men in the normal fashion (once he learned the "Your Breath to Mine" Command)?

mistborn

1y

Yes. He has enough of his original Identity, and the spiritual connection would remain.

sonofstannis
1y

What if he instead were reincarnated as a lifeless? Is there a way he could reclaim it then?

mistborn

1y

Lifeless have someone else's investiture replacing their own. (As opposed to Returned, who are augmented.) Depends on how much of them is left, and if they can achieve sapience again, but I'd say this is unlikely.

WeiryWriter
1y

What if the Lifeless is Awakened with their own Breath? (i.e. they gave it away right before they died and the person they gave it to then used it in the Awakening)

mistborn

1y

This has happened already in the world, and it does help.

Here is a possibly relevant WoB to the question of splitting the object (though it's an old one).

LITTLE_WILSON

Mi'chelle is wanting to know for a fanfic she's wanting to write if when you cut/break an object that has been Awakened if the object then "dies", or if the pieces will try to carry out the command. Also, either way, can the breaths be recovered from it?

BRANDON SANDERSON

The object does not die, and will try to continue its purpose. The level of damage will determine just how well it can continue. The Breaths are recoverable. (Though there could be some loss of Breaths, depending on how the item is destroyed.) There's a scene near the end where Vasher Awakens some clothing, then it gets cut down and he recovers the Breath

I haven't found an answer to what happens to Breaths imparted by someone now dead. I'm guessing when the object itself degrades or is destroyed the Breaths return to the system as they do with a normal Nalthian who dies still with their Breath.

It probably matters if the object is intact enough that it can see itself as what it was before. It it were burned, it might see itself as ash and lose the breaths. If it's just cut up, it will see itself as as what it was before, just cut up, and keep its breath.