Endearing Brandon Quirks

Ward

As I obsessively read everything to leave Brandon's pen, the more I notice elements of his personality and writing habits peeking through consistently through all of his work. When I come across them, it momentarily breaks the fourth wall, but in an endearing way. I only notice these things because I'm familiar with his writing.

Examples:

• When Joel eats a really salty sandwich in The Rithmatist, that's a sandwich Brandon would love.
  • Frowning signifying contemplation. "Elend frowned" could be it's own sub-genre.
  • Interesting, that. Good points, those.
  • Pretty gowns and sharp, buttoned-up military uniforms
  • The 1920s. Oh goodness the 1920s.

And I am among the least of these, the Sharders. What are some other things others have noticed?

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Alfa said:

- Raising one eyebrow.
- Snorting.

Finally someone else mentions the raising of one eyebrow.  I've been saying this for years, but no one else seems to notice.  

I'm one of the few people I know in real life who can actually raise one eyebrow, yet all of Brandon's characters can do it.

2 hours ago, Who Sharded? said:

Finally someone else mentions the raising of one eyebrow.  I've been saying this for years, but no one else seems to notice.  

I'm one of the few people I know in real life who can actually raise one eyebrow, yet all of Brandon's characters can do it.

I subtly refer to my thread regarding dramatis personae of the sanderverse not capable of raising a single eyebrow. Yes, there are a couple of those.

Edited by Alfa

Characters saying "Bah!" I've never heard anyone say "bah" in real life, but when a Sanderson character does it, it doesn't sound odd.

20 hours ago, Who Sharded? said:

Same here. I learned how to raise one eyebrow after jokingly imitating my friend who did it constantly, but I didn't know I was doing it properly until someone said "Whoa, you can actually do that?" Now I do it unconsciously instead of raising both eyebrows, but only the right one.

40 minutes ago, Koldun said:

There's always a romance. ALWAYS.

Nah, not always.  Many of the Novellas don't have time for Romance.  The Emperor's Soul in particular strikes me as a good example of no romance.

• Chaos locked this topic