......hello?...........

I Am Witless

Hello, I am Witless. This is the first fandom online forum thingy that I've joined, so I'm not very sure how this whole thing works. I've read all of Sanderson's books (except for Mitosis, Firefight,and Calamity), and am currently annotating Elantris, WoK, and WoR. I still only kindofish get how the shards and everything fit together, but I'm excited to watch his world coalesce. Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians and The Stormlight Archive is where most of my knowledge and interest lies, so I'll probably be found on those boards.

Quick question, how do you set a profile picture and a tagline?

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, I am Witless said:

Hello, I am Witless. This is the first fandom online forum thingy that I've joined, so I'm not very sure how this whole thing works. I've read all of Sanderson's books (except for Mitosis, Firefight,and Calamity), and am currently annotating Elantris, WoK, and WoR. I still only kindofish get how the shards and everything fit together, but I'm excited to watch his world coalesce. Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians and The Stormlight Archive is where most of my knowledge and interest lies, so I'll probably be found on those boards.

Quick question, how do you set a profile picture and a tagline?

Thanks!

Hi! Have an upvote and welcome to the Shard! It's ok if you accidentally double posted, everyone does it once in a while. If you have any questions about the Cosmere or Shards, you could ask me or post your question somewhere.

Welcome!

Hello! Welcome to the forums! We're happy to have you here :) 

I have, fortunately, just finished typing up a a reply to another thread that is applicable to your curiosity here, so I'll repost it with some alterations:

In the beginning, there was a being known as Adonalsium. Adonalsium was essentially god. Just about all of his origin is unknown, but it's widely believed that he created the universe, or at least the Cosmere (a star cluster/dwarf galaxy within the Cosmere universe). What we do know is that a group of 16 people (not necessarily humans, but rather sapient creatures) worked together to shatter Adonalsium into 16 different pieces of roughly equal power. These pieces became known as Shards. We believe each member of this group took a shard of their own and spread out throughout the Cosmere. At their new locations, they mostly created or influenced local life. On Sel, Elantris' world, Devotion and Dominion settled. Eventually, Odium, the "big bad" of the Cosmere, attacked and destroyed each. This created the Dor, which is the unbridled power of both shards contained in a limited vessel, the cognitive realm. On Roshar, the SA world, 2 Shards originally resided: Honor and Cultivation. At some point after Odium finished with Sel, he moved here and destroyed Honor, reducing the shard to smaller pieces like the Stormfather and other honor spren. Cultivation is believed to be still alive, due to comments by Wit/Hoid, who says only one woman on Roshar is his age and she's somewhat upset with him (Hoid knew the original 16 before the Shattering). 2 shards also reside on Scadrial, the Mistborn world, one of whom is Preservation and the other of whom is Ruin. When Harmony took these 2 into himself, he reunited the separated powers; if he were to be killed, he would drop Harmony, rather than Ruin and Preservation. Other worlds have shards as well. Nalthis, the world of Warbreaker, has Endowment. The world of White Sand, Taldain, has Autonomy. Ambition was destroyed shortly after the Shattering, but visited Threnody, the planet of SFSitFoH, before this occurred. A final shard, which wishes only to survive and hide, is known of, but its location or actions are a complete mystery

That about sums up the current knowledge on the shards. I'd discuss the Realms more in depth, but taking on Relmatic Theory singlehandedly is a bit daunting. Suffice it to say that there exist 3 realms: the physical, cognitive, and spiritual. The first is what we exist in, the second is Shadesmar, and the 3rd is where Kelsier winds up in SH. The last one is also home to the majority of the Shards' investiture, although investiture in some ways transcends realms

That's about all I have time for right now. Have an upvote, and I hope you have a great time here! 

Edited by Bugsy6912

13 minutes ago, Bugsy6912 said:

Hello! Welcome to the forums! We're happy to have you here :) 

I have, fortunately, just finished typing up a a reply to another thread that is applicable to your curiosity here, so I'll repost it with some alterations:

That about sums up the current knowledge on the shards. I'd discuss the Realms more in depth, but taking on Relmatic Theory singlehandedly is a bit daunting. Suffice it to say that there exist 3 realms: the physical, cognitive, and spiritual. The first is what we exist in, the second is Shadesmar, and the 3rd is where Kelsier winds up in SH. The last one is also home to the majority of the Shards' investiture, although investiture in some ways transcends realms

That's about all I have time for right now. Have an upvote, and I hope you have a great time here! 

This is a nice summary! But unless I misunderstand the rules, you should put it in a spoiler box with a heavy warning of spoilers for every Cosmere book, particularly Mistborn (which has a huuuge spoiler).

And welcome, @I am Witless, enjoy the conversations and speculations :)

Edited by Extesian

2 hours ago, Extesian said:

This is a nice summary! But unless I misunderstand the rules, you should put it in a spoiler box with a heavy warning of spoilers for every Cosmere book, particularly Mistborn (which has a huuuge spoiler).

And welcome, @I am Witless, enjoy the conversations and speculations :)

Apologies! You're quite right. That was a mistake on my part

11 hours ago, Bugsy6912 said:

Apologies! You're quite right. That was a mistake on my part

Here, and oh welcome @I am Witless to the 17th Shard. I've been less active on here for the last few weeks, in part because of lots of school, but I should've been the first to respond in any case. Now, as is my solemn duty, I bring cookies as a *ahem* welcoming present to new Sharders!

thOA7GDP31.jpg

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎14 at 6:24 PM, Bugsy6912 said:

Hm. Depends. I mean, you can be poisoned by consuming certain metals. What type of spike did this one have again?

This one is not-toxic. Actually, this cookie is one of my more treasured pillars of *ahem* culinary achievement. It has some, *ahem* special *spoilers* *ahem* *spoilers* in it. That's all I'll say.

Soooo.......... I shouldn't eat the cookie because it might contain a Hemalurgic spike, which will either kill me or give me cool powers? Or it might have something entirely different in it, a poison that has not yet been discovered in the Cosmere? I'm a bit tempted. I like cookies.......