Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lwarch

Need Advice

8 posts in this topic

I read Elantris and really liked it. I now have Emperor's Soul. I'm about 50 pages in and am not a fan of it. I was wondering if it was worth finishing or not.

I would recommend finishing it, because it actually has a very satisfying ending. This novella could have effect on future books set on Sel.

There is always another secret.

Also the fact that it is about 150 pages long maximum, so it's not like a big time sink. (There's an action scene or two at the end as well, if that interests you.)

Oddly I liked TES more than Elantris. For sure finish it your already 1/3 of the way through!

Definitely keep pushing through! You'll love the ending. Brandon's shorter works seem to start a bit slow (at least for me) and then you gradually start getting into it and before you know it, you've finished reading! I really do enjoy The Emperor's Soul. If Edgedancer didn't exist, it would be my favorite Sanderson novella. 

Whenever I get bored with a book, I always look for spoilers to see if there's anything awesome to look forward to. Here's a minor one for the Emperor's Soul:

Spoiler

There will be fight scenes near the end. They are pretty awesome.

Does it just start too slow for you? If that's your problem then I'd agree with you, but I absolutely love the story. The characters are very compelling, and the story definitely picks up. I agree with @StormingTexan, because the story is fascinating to me.

Also, because while Elantris is good both Serene and Raoden are a little unbelievable to me because they're so hyper competent. Bad at nothing and perfectly suited for every situation they face, kinda takes away from the story for me. In a world full of flawed people they're pretty much alone, except for Hrathen.

My recommendation if you hate slow stories is never pick up Lisey's Story by Stephen King. Super slow... 

Depends why you dislike it.  It's a very different style than Elantris, but one that I personally found to be even better.