So we know that Lift is not exactly a normal person, even by Radiant standards. And we know that she can interact with Wyndle in ways that most Radiants cannot. So I was wondering since Lift can feel Wyndle in different ways than most Radiants can feel thier spren can she also see her spren differently than most Radiants see thier Spren. So Spren have 2 forms the form they take in the Cognitive realm and the form they take in the Physical Realm. Since Lift is so close to the Cognitive Realm does she see the Cognitive Realm version of Wyndle and if so what is the Physical Realm version of Wyndle?

This is a question that had a lot of theorizing on here for a while but we did get handy word back in November.

QUESTION

Does Lift see Wyndle a different way than another Edgedancer would see their spren?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, but only slightly. She sees a longer vine, and slightly more, but it's not a big difference.

But her ability to physically interact with him may be a different matter, I'm not sure if that is the nature of his type of spren or due to her being more in the Cognitive Realm (which we know she is).

Edited by Extesian

On 3/12/2017 at 3:29 AM, Extesian said:

This is a question that had a lot of theorizing on here for a while but we did get handy word back in November.

But her ability to physically interact with him may be a different matter, I'm not sure if that is the nature of his type of spren or due to her being more in the Cognitive Realm (which we know she is).

Wyndle outright states that Lift should not be able to interact with him physically in WoR. He speculates that she must be partially in the Cognitive Realm to allow it.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that Wyndle is different, but only because Lift is different. Her connection to the Cognitive Realm made his transition much easier. If he had bonded another individual, he'd be the same as other spren.

Edited by DSC01

15 hours ago, DSC01 said:

I believe that Wyndle is different, but only because Lift is different. Her connection to the Cognitive Realm made his transition much easier. If he had bonded another individual, he'd be the same as other spren.

Wyndle does say that his people - the Ring, presumably - tried to take some precautions when they decided to send him to Lift, so in that regard he is special. Neither Syl nor Pattern had this kind of preparation, their choices were more spontaneous, and - my understanding goes - more in line with how most spren choose their Knights.

• 4 months later...
On 3/22/2017 at 10:40 AM, Argent said:

Wyndle does say that his people - the Ring, presumably - tried to take some precautions when they decided to send him to Lift, so in that regard he is special. Neither Syl nor Pattern had this kind of preparation, their choices were more spontaneous, and - my understanding goes - more in line with how most spren choose their Knights.

Does this reflect on cultivation spren in general being more careful planners? It would make sense, seeing how much planning goes into growing crop. 

On 3/22/2017 at 2:35 PM, Andy92 said:

Wasn't Wyndle originally going to be assigned to that shoe maker who was killed in one of the interludes? It does seem that his bond with Lift went through a few steps before he actually got there. 

He says that his people were thinking of choosing the cobbler. I'm not sure that means it was Wyndle with the cobbler. I thought they might have sent out a few spren to test different candidates for the bond. 

• 2 months later...

I was fairly confused by the cobbler reference, because Wyndle makes it sound like his own kind of spren nearly chose the cobbler. However the physical descriptions of wyndle and the spren of the cobbler man are different. Wyndle is like vines growing but the other spren is described as a pattern of light, like light being shone through a crystal. Or at least something like that. I don't have a physical copy of the books to reference so correct me if I'm wrong. 

34 minutes ago, TheMediocreMind said:

I was fairly confused by the cobbler reference, because Wyndle makes it sound like his own kind of spren nearly chose the cobbler. However the physical descriptions of wyndle and the spren of the cobbler man are different. Wyndle is like vines growing but the other spren is described as a pattern of light, like light being shone through a crystal. Or at least something like that. I don't have a physical copy of the books to reference so correct me if I'm wrong. 

Wyndle wanted to bond Ym but the Ring instead sent him to bond Lift because She is very interesting to them.

Another Spren(a Truthwatchers One) later bonds with Ym as he exibited compatibility with both Edgedancer and Truthwatcher orders

• Chaos locked this topic