Hoid Hunters

TheCremling

11 minutes ago, TheCremling said:

Does anyone realize that one of the people searching for Hoid in The Way of Kings might be speaking Duladen? I have this suspicion . . .

Anyway, I'm obviously a cremling. Hi everybody!

Welcome to the Shard! Take a welcome cookie :)

That man is actually Galladon and he's a member of Seventeenth Shard.

To quote the Coppermind:

" Demoux is searching for Hoid in the Purelake region on Roshar, in the company of Galladon and Blunt. Ishikk refers to him as Thinker for his contemplative and reserved manner, and notes that he speaks the Selay language more poorly than his associates. When his companions begin to argue, he notices Ishikk listening in and directs the others to move their discussion to another language."

Q:Well we have an example of an Elantrian on Roshar, so.
A:Yes we have an Elantrian on Roshar, but we don't see him use any powers, and his skin is dark on Roshar rather than glowing. That is something to be aware of.
source

@TheCremling we do read coppermind. But mostly we hunt for anything Brandon says anywhere. Theoryland is a good place to start, also following Brandon on reddit is a good idea, his Twitter is also useful sometimes.

Having read the way of kings before Elantris and Mistborn i didn't notice this, i just went back to check it out, and Baaaaamm ! it hit me right in the face, the realization that things are getting bigger and bigger.

Edit : And Who the hell is "Roamer"  ??? :huh:

Edited by jotunn

On 3/10/2017 at 5:53 PM, TheCremling said:

Does anyone realize that one of the people searching for Hoid in The Way of Kings might be speaking Duladen? I have this suspicion . . .

Anyway, I'm obviously a cremling. Hi everybody!

With his Elantrian powers, Galladon could have changed his appearance, so that is why his skin isn't silvery. (Like how Radoen turned himself into 'Kaloo'.

1 hour ago, Lwarch said:

With his Elantrian powers, Galladon could have changed his appearance, so that is why his skin isn't silvery. (Like how Radoen turned himself into 'Kaloo'.

One point about this - that power requires accessing Aon Dor (unless it can be a lasting change, which I don't believe is possible but I'm happy to be corrected). The Dor however is heavily location dependent and cannot be accessed on Roshar without hacking the system. This may have been done by a worldhopper but it is an important distinction.

@Lwarch we know Hoid has that many breaths not from Warbreaker, but because he refers in SA to having perfect pitch. And @TheCremling (SH spoiler)

Spoiler

we know Hoid has lerasium, and that he has allomancy, but there's some debate over whether he's Mistborn or simply use some lerasium to create alloys enabling single metal misting powers.

Note that there should, I believe, be spoiler tags for some of these posts, I think this forum requires them. Someone more experienced than me will correct that if I'm wrong.

Edited by Extesian

1 hour ago, TheCremling said:

I thought Hoid was Mistborn because he ate that piece of metal in Mistborn Secret History.

Well, its unclear whether or not he actually ate it, he may still have it. However, he does appear to to ingest some metal during one of Shallan's flashbacks in WoR.

Also, according to the coppermind and some WoBs, Hoid has feruchemy (supposedly able to tap fortune), which is how he always knows where to be. But I feel like I remember reading somewhere that that was changed (maybe I'm just imagining things).

2 minutes ago, scyron said:

Well, its unclear whether or not he actually ate it, he may still have it. However, he does appear to to ingest some metal during one of Shallan's flashbacks in WoR.

Also, according to the coppermind and some WoBs, Hoid has feruchemy (supposedly able to tap fortune), which is how he always knows where to be. But I feel like I remember reading somewhere that that was changed (maybe I'm just imagining things).

A related WoBs (though we're getting away from the OP, I hope @TheCremling doesn't mind).

QUESTION

When Hoid took the bead of Lerasium, did he actually eat it or did he just hang on to it?

BRANDON SANDERSON

You have seen him use Allomancy in other books, so… that’s your answer

There is debate about whether Hoid uses feruchemy to store fortune. We know he uses an analgous power to be in the right place at the right time but I believe there is no definitive WoB on whether it's feruchemy or another system. There is an old one that says it's feruchemy but it's paraphrased and still up for debate. We know he at least has access to unkeyed metalminds so his feruchemy may be limited to that. He may not actually be a feruchemist.

23 minutes ago, Extesian said:

A related WoBs (though we're getting away from the OP, I hope @TheCremling doesn't mind).

There is debate about whether Hoid uses feruchemy to store fortune. We know he uses an analgous power to be in the right place at the right time but I believe there is no definitive WoB on whether it's feruchemy or another system. There is an old one that says it's feruchemy but it's paraphrased and still up for debate. We know he at least has access to unkeyed metalminds so his feruchemy may be limited to that. He may not actually be a feruchemist.

Ok, that's what I thought.