Is Hoid looking for Survival Shard?

Modal Seoul

Question

There is one [Shard] who just wants to hide + survive. 

— Brandon Sanderson

Bayle here. Hoid knew the Shard Vessels personally. Tanavast even bought him a drink(probably a bacon smoothie) but the Survival Shard and Hoid might've been totes besties. Is he looking for him/her? Does Hoid want to make sure that he/she is safe from the onslaught? Perhaps the Shard with no planet (see article on Shards in Coppermind) is the one leading the 17th Shard. Hoid does have multiple goals. Is this one of them?

11 answers to this question

We know Hoid's relationships with the Vessels came in all types. Leras thought of him as an old friend but was hoping he'd stop meddling in their affairs, something before the Shattering made him have a grudge against Rayse and Bavadin (maybe for independent reasons, maybe linked), he seems to have rather liked Tanavast and he never got along with Cultivation's holder. So for all we know, this one mystery Shard could have been taken up by someone Hoid liked, someone he doesn't think much of one way or the other or someone he hates with a fiery passion because he once stole Hoid's instant noodles.

That said, what Brandon has clarified about the 'Survival Shard' is that it's aware what's going on in the Cosmere and that's why it's keeping its head down and hoping everything will pass it by. Someone with that kind of mindset is highly unlikely to be sending out a multiplanetary team of worldhoppers to do... whatever it is they're doing. We know the Seventeenth Shard has some specific purpose but all we know of that is that one thing they're trying to do is find Hoid. And they have some connection with Frost.

2 hours ago, Weltall said:

That said, what Brandon has clarified about the 'Survival Shard' is that it's aware what's going on in the Cosmere and that's why it's keeping its head down and hoping everything will pass it by. Someone with that kind of mindset is highly unlikely to be sending out a multiplanetary team of worldhoppers to do... whatever it is they're doing. We know the Seventeenth Shard has some specific purpose but all we know of that is that one thing they're trying to do is find Hoid. And they have some connection with Frost.

Good points in what I didn't quote, and I wanted to touch base here. I do think that a Shard is at least supporting the 17th Shard, and that that Shard is Enlightenment, which is also the Shard maintaining Silverlight, and which is not on a planet. I'm pretty sure Brandon confirmed that there is one additional Shard beyond the one just trying to hide and survive which is not on a planet.

I e wondered if, should there be a Shard sponsoring the Seventeenth Shard, it would be Autonomy. They think the Shards were separated for a reason and should stay separated. Sounds pretty consistent with Autonomy interfering and possibly undermining other Shards. I guess She could want other Shards but I feel she's probably about 'freeing' peoples from other Shards, except perhaps Herself.

I think the answer is in the name itself. 17th shard. There are only 16 shards. (15 counting the merged one.) I don't think they are controlled by a shard. if they were they would be the 4th shard or the 9th shard. By naming themselves 17th it's like they are setting themselves up as a separate entity not under the control of one of the shards.

As for the shard that knows about events, and is hiding. I like to think of it as the Wisdom Shard. It's wise enough to know to stay out of the fight. You can't be shattered if you can't be found. Thinking about it a shard of Wisdom could have a Taravangian like ability to predict the future. I mean it doesn't take a genius to realize a shard called Odium might not be on friendly terms with the universe. "Wisdom" could have foreseen the shatterings. I'm picturing the moment "Wisdom" picks up his shard he immediately notices an increase in his intelligence and deduces that the same will be happening to the rest of the shardholders.

Although a more hilarious route that would still fit all of the above ideas would be if the shard was "Paranoia".

Edited by theuntaintedchild

13 minutes ago, Captains Domon said:

That can't be possible, because Hoid mentions Bavadin in the Letter. If she is controlling the 17th Shard, why would he mention her in third person?

Oh lord you're right, I flat out forgot about that (and failed to notice Weltall's point) I should really sleep and stop posting :) well the letter is written to someone on Yolen, the assumption is Frost, so yeah seems much more likely to be Frost (whether a Shardholder or not).

23 minutes ago, dyring said:

Besides, Bavadin is blocking Khriss(and everyone else) from going home to Taldain, and khriss is a member of the 17:th shard.

Khriss isn´t a member of the 17th shard, she´s just sharing some of her informatons with them

@dyring Actually, Brandon has stated that she works with the Seventeenth Shard but she's not a member (though her former companion Baon is).

On the subject of the other party to the Letters, while Brandon has not (so far as I know) directly confirmed it, he's said enough things in combination that we can be more or less certain that the other party is Frost. He's said the other party is older than Hoid and he's stated that the two oldest characters are Frost, then Hoid which pretty much acts as a confirmation, along with mentioning that Frost has not been seen in person but has made an appearance of sorts and has a non-intervention policy, just like a certain 'old reptile'. Actually, a paraphrase of a WoB (here) suggests he may have confirmed it directly but we'd have to ask the original questioner or someone else who was there for the exact wording to be sure.

Edited by Weltall

Frost being the recipient is confirmed through a series of answers;). Not sure if there is a direct confirmation aswell.

First answer states that frost is the oldest we´we met. Second oldest is hoid.

Second answer sais that the letter is written by hoid to someone older then he ;)

(questions/answers taken from here http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt='frost' )

Question

Who is the oldest character we know?
Can a person in Shardplate be Rioted or Soothed? What about Seeked?
Could a Coinshot, in a fight, damage Shardplate?

Brandon Sanderson

Frost is almost certainly the oldest by a small amount. After that, Hoid.

Question

Is Hoid a dragon?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh I will give you a RAFO card. Have you read Dragonsteel? Don’t read it, it’s bad. He is one of the oldest people in the cosmere, but he is not the oldest. The person he is writing a letter to is indeed older than he is.

Edited by dyring